Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:20:00 PM EDT
Link

Locals, including myself are worried this incident will get desert ranges closed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Link

Locals, including myself are worried this incident will get desert ranges closed.
View Quote

I'd like to see the ROI.  My money is that he was down range and caught a deflected round.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That's terrible.

I remember shooting with some locals in New Mexico a couple years ago, and they seemed completely unconcerned about whistling ricochets every 3rd or 4th shot.    

I always joke with friends I'll probably finally have time to shoot when I retire, but a freak ricochet will end my retirement on my first week off.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Link

View Quote

How many people die in car accidents and they don't close roads?

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That must have been one hell of a ricochet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
watching some people out in the desert shooting scares the hell out of me...

I went to a work sanctioned turkey shoot:one guy got hit on the eyebrow by a ricochet and some guys wife swept about 10 people with a fully loaded gun. They laughed I wore a plate carrier to the shoot but wanted to know where to buy them afterwards
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Run by the natl park service. Im surprised they let you shoot at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck, that's where I go to shoot.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet it was on of them green tip wuns

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link

View Quote

Article says that land is now a National Monument under the auspices of the National Park Service. It's not BLM land anymore.

I'd plan on finding a new place to shoot out on BLM land.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
1230 a.m.? I think there's more to this story.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone notice this happened after midnight?

Eta: beat.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Cogent point!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

gives credibility to the "went down range" theory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Wes took Tony Rat out to tha' desert and he "went down range""   *mobster laugh cough hack laugh*
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may not even have been a ricochet at all, but direct fire.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
National Forest Service stopped and scolded some white-trash preppers this weekend at the local national forest range for bringing shaving cream cans out to the range.   Apparently, it wasn't long ago that someone blasted one and took some shrapnel to the face which required a medi-vac air lift.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]
12:30AM? I like night shooting but at this time of year seems a little odd to me. It's not THAT cold but still, most of us southie locals stay indoors when its below 60...just a guess but I'll say alcohol is involved.

I like shooting in the desert but you have to be damn careful of the idiots. I only shoot at places that have berm on at least 2 sides and open desert on the other with only one easy access route and enough room for ONE small group once targets are set. Couple of desert range trips ago I was in such a place when two cars came down the road slowly trying to drive past me.. I yelled STOP as they tried to drive by. The lead car stopped, the older Female driver asked what I wanted I told her she was driving toward my targets into the area I was shooting(should have been obvious but what ever). She then said they were just going to drive down there so they could talk about where they were going to shoot  I said no... She looked puzzled but stayed at a complete stop.

At this point it was obvious I was dealing with people that were a toy and cheese burger short of a happy meal... what the Female said next as she yelled too the other car confirmed it. "POPPA SMURF... you want we should go to the place down the way?" Poppa smurf (older man,probably a neckbeard) yelled back "YUP, I just want to shoot some 22" .  Lucky for me Poppa smurf and his crew backed out and drove off... I'm not sure I could have handled any more conversation without uncontrollably laughing!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have an island around here where a LOT of people go to shoot.  There are many very small hills (more like dunes, we're talking 6-8 feet, maybe), and people just spread out all over the island, and shoot into whichever dune is there.  I'm always amazed that nobody gets hit with shots that went over a dune, then arced back down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top