Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:41:18 PM EDT
I already have 2 large smokers, a big offset and an Akorn (steel version of a BGE) and I like using both of them a lot.  I tend to use the Akorn more these days because it is more efficient and quicker, but I'm pretty good with either.  Anyway, for Christmas my mom and my gf each decided to get me more smokers and each has different purposes even though they are both smokers.

My gf got me a little Kahuna ceramic smoker. It is just like a BGE but in a much smaller and condensed version.  The reason she got that one is because we like to go camping and I've always said that it would be great if we could take a smoker but mine are just too large and unwieldy for that.  I'm not sure I would have chosen that particular one because even though it is small it is still kind of heavy (50 lbs +/-) and somewhat fragile.  But once we put it together I realized we could make it work for that purpose if we pack it well.   Anyway, we haven't used it as a smoker yet and have only grilled with it so far but holy crap can this thing hold heat and is super stingy with fuel.  It gets hot fast and stays there on just about nothing.  We like super hot for grilling but I can tell it is also going to be easy to control temperature for smoking too.  We really love it and I know it is going to be a great smoker.  Naturally though because of its small size it can't do a lot at once (maybe 5-7 lbs max), but that is ok because often it is just the two of us anyway.

The smoker my mom got me is really fascinating too because I didn't even know that such a device existed.  It is a pressure smoker designed to be used indoors. I was like what? Seriously? Yeah seriously.And it got its' maiden run on Sunday with a pork tenderloin that I seasoned with a dry rub beforehand.  It is even smaller than the ceramic smoker because it sits on a counter but I'd guess if you packed it right it could hold 5 lbs of meat or so. What really makes this thing incredible though is not just that you can only slightly smell the smoke but that it is super fast. It had the tenderloin done in 40 minutes and it wasn't like a pork roast, it was fall apart tender and juicy smoked pulled pork and really tasty.  I need to experiment with the smoking part of it because it was a little light on smoke but the smoke flavor was definitely there and it used almost no wood at all. I am definitely going to like it once I get it really dialed in.  I can see this being the solution for people that live in lets say an apartment or condo where grills and smokers are not allowed or for people that either don't want to babysit a smoker all day in the middle of winter and/or are in a hurry.  It really works!  I was very impressed.

I can't find a picture of the one I have but I think it is a newer version of this one (same mfg but slightly different design)

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I already have 2 large smokers, a big offset and an Akorn (steel version of a BGE) and I like using both of them a lot.  I tend to use the Akorn more these days because it is more efficient and quicker, but I'm pretty good with either.  Anyway, for Christmas my mom and my gf each decided to get me more smokers and each has different purposes even though they are both smokers.

My gf got me a little Kahuna ceramic smoker. It is just like a BGE but in a much smaller and condensed version.  The reason she got that one is because we like to go camping and I've always said that it would be great if we could take a smoker but mine are just too large and unwieldy for that.  I'm not sure I would have chosen that particular one because even though it is small it is still kind of heavy (50 lbs +/-) and somewhat fragile.  But once we put it together I realized we could make it work for that purpose if we pack it well.   Anyway, we haven't used it as a smoker yet and have only grilled with it so far but holy crap can this thing hold heat and is super stingy with fuel.  It gets hot fast and stays there on just about nothing.  We like super hot for grilling but I can tell it is also going to be easy to control temperature for smoking too.  We really love it and I know it is going to be a great smoker.  Naturally though because of its small size it can't do a lot at once (maybe 5-7 lbs max), but that is ok because often it is just the two of us anyway.

http://img2.wfrcdn.com/lf/50/hash/30354/13493033/1/Charcoal%2BSmoker%2Band%2BGrill.jpg

The smoker my mom got me is really fascinating too because I didn't even know that such a device existed.  It is a pressure smoker designed to be used indoors. I was like what? Seriously? Yeah seriously.And it got its' maiden run on Sunday with a pork tenderloin that I seasoned with a dry rub beforehand.  It is even smaller than the ceramic smoker because it sits on a counter but I'd guess if you packed it right it could hold 5 lbs of meat or so. What really makes this thing incredible though is not just that you can only slightly smell the smoke but that it is super fast. It had the tenderloin done in 40 minutes and it wasn't like a pork roast, it was fall apart tender and juicy smoked pulled pork and really tasty.  I need to experiment with the smoking part of it because it was a little light on smoke but the smoke flavor was definitely there and it used almost no wood at all. I am definitely going to like it once I get it really dialed in.  I can see this being the solution for people that live in lets say an apartment or condo where grills and smokers are not allowed or for people that either don't want to babysit a smoker all day in the middle of winter and/or are in a hurry.  It really works!  I was very impressed.

I can't find a picture of the one I have but I think it is a newer version of this one (same mfg but slightly different design)

http://www.thecentsableshoppin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/image53.png

View Quote

Pressure smoker - is it an Emerson?

SO MUCH WANT
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SO MUCH WANT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img2.wfrcdn.com/lf/50/hash/30354/13493033/1/Charcoal%2BSmoker%2Band%2BGrill.jpg

http://www.thecentsableshoppin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/image53.png

SO MUCH WANT

Mine says it was made by Kalorik but I'm pretty sure it is the same mfg that makes the Emson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top