Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:25:57 PM EDT
Anybody else have one of these bikes?  I picked one up this past weekend.  After reading about the greasing issues I took it apart and relubed it.  Also had to adjust the shifter and the front brake.

Beyond that it's a blast to ride.  My youngest son and I have been pedaling around a couple times a day now.  Both of my feet have achillis tenditous so walking or running has been downright impossible.  The bike allows me to get some much needed exercise without ending up in pain.  I have a PT appt tomorrow to get the AT worked out.

I know it's a budget bike and is a low tier unit, but it was only $199 and I am not doing anything hardcore with it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from riding in sand, or snow what advantage do the fat tires offer?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a $200 bike?  Damn, seems like a steal.  I need to look into this!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I am 6' 2" and out of shape.  The other 26" bikes I rode did not seem to handle my frame very well.  This thing rides soft and pedals pretty easy.  I won't be pedaling for speed or on any main roads.  I like the front and rear disc brakes and the price was right.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a $200 bike?  Damn, seems like a steal.  I need to look into this!
View Quote

Academy Sports and Outdoors had it advertised online for $249 but when the guy range it up in the store it showed $199.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm curious as well.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I got kid sized versions of them for three 7yr olds this Christmas.  It's 10miles to pavement from our house, so they work great around here.  Grass, dirt, rock...they roll right over it without an issue.  

If I could find one that was big enough for me, I'd get one too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
our local off road trail system in a state park is pure sand. I usually have to confine my riding to just after the afternoon thunderstorms otherwise some of the trails are impassable.

that bike looks like it would just float over the sand!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks pretty badass ! Is it really heavy ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
our local off road trail system in a state park is pure sand. I usually have to confine my riding to just after the afternoon thunderstorms otherwise some of the trails are impassable.

View Quote

Have you tried airing down?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got kid sized versions of them for three 7yr olds this Christmas.  It's 10miles to pavement from our house, so they work great around here.  Grass, dirt, rock...they roll right over it without an issue.  

View Quote

Walmart.com and academy.com both carry the 26" 7 speed Dolomite and the single speed Brutus (black frame yellow rims).  

Toys R Us has the single speed 26" Dozer with orange frame and blue rims.  

About 2 blocks from me is a city park with a ton of bike trails.  That park is about 85% woods/unimproved with hike and bike trails.  My boys and I have hiked them quite a bit but haven't really been out that much over the past year and a half due to my feet killing me when we hike.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Specs say 50lbs.  One of the few exercises I can do easily is lift weights so that not as much an issue.  I found a couple of Mountain Bike message boards that cover mods and bolt ons that would lower the weight to about 40lbs.  For now I'm leaving it alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
These fat bikes are getting very popular up here for snow riding. The ones I've seen are between 2 and 5 k  though.  Interesting......
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm curious as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm curious as well.

Quoted:

I would like to see an answer as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Specs say 50lbs.  One of the few exercises I can do easily is lift weights so that not as much an issue.  I found a couple of Mountain Bike message boards that cover mods and bolt ons that would lower the weight to about 40lbs.  For now I'm leaving it alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw one at walmart. I'm a weight weenie when it comes to anything with wheels

Picked it up
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious as well.
Quoted:

That's pretty much the only advantages that aren't offset by greater rotational mass (harder pedaling). But, in those conditions, it's ride and fall a lot, or ride and have fun.

It's kind of important to keep weight on the light side everywhere you can, when you're adding some big old wheels/tires to the mix - so going cheap on a fat bike is something I wouldn't do unless I wanted my legs to burn faster.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Walmart.com and academy.com both carry the 26" 7 speed Dolomite and the single speed Brutus (black frame yellow rims).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried those, but 26" frames are too small for me.  I'm 6'11" with a 42" inseam, so finding a bicycle (that doesn't cost more than a used Tacoma) is kinda difficult for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I tried those, but 26" frames are too small for me.  I'm 6'11" with a 42" inseam, so finding a bicycle (that doesn't cost more than a used Tacoma) is kinda difficult for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Bro bike bro
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's pretty much the only advantages that aren't offset by greater rotational mass (harder pedaling). But, in those conditions, it's ride and fall a lot, or ride and have fun.

It's kind of important to keep weight on the light side everywhere you can, when you're adding some big old wheels/tires to the mix - so going cheap on a fat bike is something I wouldn't do unless I wanted my legs to burn faster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious as well.

Quoted:

That is why I wanted the 7 speed.  Shifted in 1st gear it's not that hard to pedal.  It's not easy though, but I need the workout.  The fat tires handle my weight better as well.

I agree with the cheap comment, but this thing won't be doing anything extreme.  If I was I'd look at spending about 1k on a used Gravity bike.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bro bike bro
View Quote

Not yet, but once I get the lift forks and LED lights for the spoke I will be pulling mad bitches wid it Yo!

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious as well.

Quoted:

They get incredible grip and control on rocks and they float/soak up rough terrain a lot better than normal mountain bikes.  
Here's a link to a company that makes more "top-end" bikes - http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not yet, but once I get the lift forks and LED lights for the spoke I will be pulling mad bitches wid it Yo!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bro bike bro

Damn I just remembered there is a little graphics place near me. In stead of the big DOLOMITE name in the white I could get BROLOMITE done! Thanks bro.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bro bike bro

Kewwwwl!  Ya gots ta post pix yo!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Where did you get it? I have plenty of parts to make one a good bike. I have extra everything, just need a frame and wheels/tires
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Academy sport and outdoors.  I picked it up at the IH-35 William Cannon one off the highway in south Austin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They get incredible grip and control on rocks and they float/soak up rough terrain a lot better than normal mountain bikes.  

Here's a link to a company that makes more "top-end" bikes - http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious as well.
Quoted:

I wouldn't go so far to say they're better on rough terrain than normal mtb's, but they're neat bikes. The right tires/suspension will make a normal mountain bike nearly as plush, but still faster, lighter and easier to peddle and more agile (hence my saying about advantages being offset by greater mass/effort)...which is why if you're doing rough terrain or trails competitively, you're not using a fat bike.

There's no right tool for every job. These are an extreme, and as such they have their place but it's an extreme.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol... oh yes, but this sand is serious stuff. pure white, dry and deep...
our local club has resorted to tilling mulch into the trails and some areas need sand ladders built to negotiate the trail..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]
50lbs?  Holy shit.

On the bright side, it says it'll handle a 300lb rider.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like fun.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Check Bikes Direct online for the next step up yet still affordable fat bikes. I've got my eye on a couple but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Been a single speeder for a long time, and rigid for 5 years. Still think I would want some gears on one of these (for more serious MTB riding). They have some nicely spec'd fat bikesbikes for $300-1500. They won't have the high end brands, but most of the stuff made in Tawaian is pretty similar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#31]
It seems these things are popular for modding.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It seems these things are popular for modding.

http://youtu.be/okr3m3LY9N4
View Quote

Damn, I feel like a dick for thinking maybe I'm in a LOT better shape than I thought

Yes, I have found a plethra of parts to upgrade, but my logic is this.... if I REALLY end up getting an itch to do some offroading with a fat tire I will just buy a better bike.  No point in dropping any more cash into this thing.  The only mod I am thinking about doing is a lever shifter instead of the twisty-handle bar type that comes on it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top