Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 7:09:01 PM EDT
Living along the Western Slope between Grand Junction etc there are quite a few vets living around here and I always make the effort to talk with them if they want to talk but one vet in particular left me with a lasting impression. He was a Vietnam vet who served around the same time my dad did. I saw he had a small vet patch on his jacket so I said hello and asked him about the patch. He was a little reluctant till I mentioned my dad and his time in country.

He opened up some and we talked for a few minutes. He was near the DMZ and I honestly can't remember where exactly. I had mentioned about how he felt for many years he felt he should have stayed(The base my father was stationed at was overrun 6 months after he left and a lot of his friends were killed)

The vet then told me he understood exactly what my father felt and raised his right arm showing me a tattoo of a M16 facing downwards into the dirt with his unit and the guys he knew in his unit that died overseas while he was there.

We spoke for another minute or two and he went on but it left me with a lasting impression. It really is a brotherhood

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top