Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
14 over 7's

The 14 is more versatile.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Just take the plunge and get it over with. Otherwise, you will always find an excuse to use the money for something else.  Remember, one day you will die and regret not having fun.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you call a good deal?
I'm thinking about getting some but laid out my idea of how I may pay for them in the other thread

ETA:I was thinking used but even those are a good bit of change for an unknown, no warranty
The consensus will be buy the PVS14 though but if the price is right and they'd hardly be used I'd get the 7's They'll be better than nothing but I don't really see a ture shtf were others with nvgs are hunting me down
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If they won't really be used I would pass.  I got a steal on a 6015 Gen 3 and sold it after realizing I would never use it living in town unless SHTF.
I don't believe in a true SHTF ever really happening so I sold it and bought a nice scope for my precision 308 that needed an optic thatbI will actually use.

ETA:  Seeing in the dark was awesome but I don't trust expensive electronics to just sit around without being used and not have issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  We can't really give informed opinions if we don't know how good the deal is.  If it's a really good price, fo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Only you know your true situation.  If you need the money for a trip or bills, probably best to pass for now, night vision will be around the next time you have money to spend.  If you really think your not going to use it much, again something to consider.  At least your buddies will probably let you borrow theirs until you get things straightened out and see where you can use them and have the price be worth it.  Perhaps not now, but later on you might go for the night vision and get a good deal on a PVS-14, or even a thermal unit down the road.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only you know your true situation.  If you need the money for a trip or bills, probably best to pass for now, night vision will be around the next time you have money to spend.  If you really think your not going to use it much, again something to consider.  At least your buddies will probably let you borrow theirs until you get things straightened out and see where you can use them and have the price be worth it.  Perhaps not now, but later on you might go for the night vision and get a good deal on a PVS-14, or even a thermal unit down the road.
View Quote

This (but working NODs come long before trips to Hawaii in my house)

Also important how good the deal is, $500 working 7s - JUMP
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting some but laid out my idea of how I may pay for them in the other thread

ETA:I was thinking used but even those are a good bit of change for an unknown, no warranty
The consensus will be buy the PVS14 though but if the price is right and they'd hardly be used I'd get the 7's They'll be better than nothing but I don't really see a ture shtf were others with nvgs are hunting me down

That could put you into a pvs14 if you stalk ebay

That being said if it's from your buddy and he's letting you make payments why not get the 7s
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
but working NODs come long before trips to Hawaii in my house
View Quote

lol, Same here, but I understand his situation, it's a special occasion.  Most women do not understand the allure of night vision gear and other man tools lol.

For your first time purchase of night vision, I would recommend to not buy on Ebay.  Your much safer and better off getting a deal from a fellow Arfcommer in the EE.  Some of the guys might put together their own devices, but that doesn't mean it's junk.  Since you can wait, I'd recommend thinking of questions you'd like answered and searching in the Night Vision forum archives here.  It's a great way to learn more about what you'd like to have, what to watch out for, how to know your getting what you want, etc.  Use the time to get educated, and ask your buddies questions since they have some of the gear your interested in.

Nothing wrong with waiting to make a smart purchase later, rather than a hurried peer pressure one now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Pass.

If you have to make payments, to a buddy no less, you can't afford them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I've seen some Gen3 14's on EE for around 1500. Of course you can't do payments that way. The unit would probably be ok if it's a person on EE with good feedback but you don't really know the condition.

ETA:Have you tried the 7's out? I can't bring myself to trust ebay although if I did it would be from someone who normally deals in NV stuff and has good feedback
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have the opportunity to buy a set of PVS7's from a buddy. The price is good and he will let me make payments on them. While I think it is a awesome piece of gear, I have a few things to think about.
If you have to make payments you shouldnt be buying NV goggles.

1. I should spend my money elsewhere. We have a trip to Hawaii coming up and we need to save for that. Yes, save for the trip you already have booked.
2. Money could always go towards bills. I agree, debt should be paid off first especially high interest debt like credit cards.
3. The NV will probably sit on the shelf and not be used much. Its more of a SHTF item and fun toy. Unless you live in the country where you have your own land to shoot on NV will rarely if ever get used.
4. All my buddies are running pvs14's. I would be the odd man out with these. That also seems to be what most everyone else is running now days. PVS-14 are much lighter than the PVS-7 but they both are a Gen 3 tube with identical performance.

So what would you do if you were in my situation? Buy it or wait?

Unless your buddy gives you a smoking deal, like $1,000 or under for that PVS-7 i would hold off for a PVS-14 and aim for something around $1,500 for a used pair
View Quote

I personally own PVS-14, but since i live in the city and knew i would not use them more than once a year to shoot if im lucky and maybe a couple times to check out noises out side or look at the stars i didnt want to drop $3,000-4,000+ for a new pair. I instead saved my money and checked craigslist, armslist, ebay and EE or a regular basis. Finally one day i found a used PVS-14 on craigslist for under $1,500.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote for PVS-14's

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
If they work good for you and meet your needs then go for it. I'm still looking at getting some NV
If you have to make payments then have at it, just make sure you pay your buddy what you owe. I put some stuff on a credit card that I have that's interest free for a year.
I'm a instant gratification guy get it now and pay on it with no interest. I know that's not the GD way but oh well. I'm not drowning in debt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd do the 14. Much more useful.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.

PVS14 > than a trip to Hawaii.  But I doubt the wife sees it that way  
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top