Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:54:33 PM EDT
Thread title changed for all of the whiners.....

So have they? I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like they are setting a major change in precedent here with the Sig brace ruling, basically saying the way you hold a weapon makes you a felon or not.  Previously if a device was ruled in violation of the NFA, it was taken off the market and banned.

Is a ban of the Sig brace coming next? I don't see how this can stand up in court.  

According to past logic the device is either legal or its not.  By their new ruling, earplugs could now be ruled as illegal silencers.

Hasn't possession of contraband been the mainstay of the NFA arrests over the past 80 years? Now they are totally rewriting the book on gun laws, going from banned items to banning shooting methods?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the government, it doesn't have to make sense.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear lord ENOUGH

it is classification

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dear lord ENOUGH
View Quote

How many Sig brace threads is this now? 150?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on, IN for another Sig Brace/ATF thread...

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Lock it down.......
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What?  Did something happen with the SIG brace?  Anyone care to fill us in?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dear lord ENOUGH
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lock it down.......
View Quote

This thread is not about the sig brace, its about saying how you hold a gun defines legally what it is.

Would you shoot an ar pistol with only one hand?

What about a Pap?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
ATF and NFA is stupid bullshit.

If you shoulder a buffer tube on an AR pistol is it now a stock?

If I sit my 1911 on my shoulder is it an SBR now?

If I shoot my AR with one hand is it a pistol?

Use does not determine classification.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This thread is not about the sig brace, its about saying how you hold a gun defines legally what it is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lock it down.......

Thanks. I know the ATF just gave a harebrained ruling on the sig brace. I'm mainly wanting to discuss an apparent major shift in ATF policy, saying that firearms laws that have typically pertained to specific hardware can now be applied to the way a weapon is used. This could now be applied to slidefire stocks, bump firing, etc.

This could possibly be a major game changer in the way the ATF attempts to charge people....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I am really tire of these threads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Its only a matter of time before they declare the brace as a stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Its totally fine, im just glad they clarified that depending on how you use a gun makes it different.

i have this 10,5 inch ar with a stock on it, but i always just hold it one handed by the pistol grip and fire it so i dont need a stamp.

ITS COOL GUYS YOU DONT NEED STAMPS JUST DONT SHOOT SBRS FROM THE SHOULDERS RIGHT?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
My Sig Brace will not be sold.  I just don't plan on being stupid with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The sig brace was screwed more by gun owners than anything, to much bear poking.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys are posting on a gun forum quit whining about the amount of gun related threads.   If you want to chat about something else go to a forum for that
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its totally fine, im just glad they clarified that depending on how you use a gun makes it different.

i have this 10,5 inch ar with a stock on it, but i always just hold it one handed by the pistol grip and fire it so i dont need a stamp.

ITS COOL GUYS YOU DONT NEED STAMPS JUST DONT SHOOT SBRS FROM THE SHOULDERS RIGHT?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm re-designing all my AR's as pistols!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
sig brace is the new thing "shoulder thing that goes up".
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]
What if you hold it sideways?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except that they are now setting precedent that use does determine classification.  My point is discussing this can of worms.  Previously their position was all about hardware.  Now it's about use.

So:

Does an autosear make a gun a machinegun if you only fire it on semi automatic?

Can I put a retractable stock on an MP5 clone pistol if it's never extended out, and the gun is only used as a "pistol'?

Does bumpfiring make a semi auto a machinegun because it fires at a machinegun-like rate of fire?  

I know the ATF is not known for logical rulings, but this one is beyond all comprehension.  

If they didn't like the Sig brace and felt like too many people were using it as an illegal stock, they should have banned it and declared them illegal.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that what's significant here has nothing to do with the brace itself. Previously, ATF said what was a legal configuration and what was not.

With this latest letter, they are trying to define how a firearm is USED.. This is a dangerous precedent and needs to be curtailed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#27]
MOD's must be off for the Holiday weekend as this BS is getting as old as Ruth Ginsberg's snapper
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
MOD's must be off for the Holiday weekend as this BS is getting as old as Ruth Ginsberg's snapper
View Quote

This thread isn't about the sig brace, it's about the ATF declaring that USE now determines classification....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Except that they are now setting precedent that use does determine classification.  My point is discussing this can of worms.  Previously their position was all about hardware.  Now it's about use.

So:

Can I put a retractable stock on an MP5 clone pistol if it's never extended out, and the gun is only used as a "pistol'?

Does bumpfiring make a semi auto a machinegun because it fires at a machinegun-like rate of fire?  

I know the ATF is not known for logical rulings, but this one is beyond all comprehension.  

If they didn't like the Sig brace and felt like too many people were using it as an illegal stock, they should have banned it and declared them illegal.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So:

I know. I was saying that the ATF was incorrect by saying that the way you use a gun determines what it is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This thread isn't about the sig brace, it's about the ATF declaring that USE now determines classification....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has sig brace in the title...so it's kind of about the sig brace.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish.  With ATF telling manufacturers that their products are good to go

then suddenly changing their minds after the fact is flat out wrong.

It shows the absolute arrogance and/or incompetence on those making the decisions and

is out right display of the reasons why gov't agencies should not have this

kind of authority to themselves.

But with that said......NOTHING will ever be done about it without a massive

revolt.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wish.  With ATF telling manufacturers that their products are good to gothen suddenly changing their minds after the fact is flat out wrong.

It shows the absolute incompetence on those making the decisions and

revolt.

View Quote

Something needs to be done at the political level. With the fines and jail sentences involved, we're not talking about a hassle, we're talking about destroying people's lives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

And Sig, a relatively large company with lawyers and shit in house, had to know that ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Op

You are exactly right.  It is dangerous and sets the stage for the bumpfiring is redesigning argument which is sure to come next.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.

That
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.

That
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Something needs to be done at the political level. With the fines and jail sentences involved, we're not talking about a hassle, we're talking about destroying people's lives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish.  With ATF telling manufacturers that their products are good to gothen suddenly changing their minds after the fact is flat out wrong.

It shows the absolute incompetence on those making the decisions and

revolt.

I have every confidence that no matter the amount of complaining

neither party will touch the issue.

What are we going to do?   Nada.  End of game.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.

That

The other thing
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Op

You are exactly right.  It is dangerous and sets the stage for the bumpfiring is redesigning argument which is sure to come next.
View Quote
Or holding a pistol with 2 hands , squared trigger guards on pistols , or firng from a retention position and having the grip touch your torso

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#40]
its just bullshit

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Seriously, if I only fire my full-auto M-16 on semi-auto does that make it an AR15?  HOW I use it MAKES it what it is, right?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#42]
if the government finds itself getting to be a little irrelevant, the people more law abiding, then it just makes up a new law.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Think about the psychological impact that this "opinion letter" has being issued the week before the biggest shooting sports event in the country.

This is more about showing the power of the government to rewrite laws and regulations than anything else.   This is nothing more than ATF
giving the shooting industry a great big "FU WE ARE IN CHARGE",   so nothing else will be talked about during SHOT except their ruling.

So how many folks working the aisles at SHOT will be willing to look at or hold anything containing a SIG Brace? Timing is everything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It's the government, it doesn't have to make sense.  

View Quote
If you believe anything else, you are just a moran.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.

This
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
So can I make an M16, but only shoot it on semi?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
And Sig, a relatively large company with lawyers and shit in house, had to know that ahead of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS

I think it was Sig's plan all along.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seriously, if I only fire my full-auto M-16 on semi-auto does that make it an AR15?  HOW I use it MAKES it what it is, right?
View Quote

Exactly.  So can I import an old M16A1 receiver, remove the autosear and replace the fire control parts with AR15 parts and be good to go?  The weapon surely won't fire on full auto, and for all intents and purposes is an AR15, not an M16.  But the ATF will arrest you for possession of an unregistered machinegun if you do this, and then try to prove to the court that the weapon is a machine gun because it is "readily convertible" to a machine gun.

Their logic is completely contradictory in enforcing different parts of the same law.

How can use determine classification, when previously (at least with machineguns) they used the "readily convertible" idea to determine what was allowed or not.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#49]
fucking loooove sig brace threads
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#50]
IBTL.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top