Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:37:22 AM EDT

Anyone got one? pics of your setup?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
operate operationally
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I messed with one at a demo shoot, and the Aimpoint rep stated that the guys who use them wear them on a lanyard around their necks and pop them on and off as needed. It was surprisingly easy to aim.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like the usefulness would be pretty limited.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
They should make a regular Aimpoint with a U-joint built in.  When it's time to operate at 45* you don't want to be mounting or unmounting hardware.      

Hell, the same thing could be accomplished wireless, with an App on your phone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I do, but only because my eyes are offset like this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I T&Ed one with my old unit. It works as intended but I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way. If you can't afford to expose that little bit of body, then you have bigger issues and should be calling for fire instead of shooting your carbine.

The one good application I found for it was doing raids in MOUT villages. I used it off the weapon to peer into windows and spiderholes to check for tripwires our OPFOR hiding in a room. A small mirror does the same thing for a lot less $$$ though.

I also got chewed out by the Infantry School CSM because I didn't have my weapon properly shouldered while engaging with this device around a corner. That tells you everything you need to know about the retardation of the Army
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
thought the image was a portable urinal
I was thinking did aimpoint really make that
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should make a regular Aimpoint with a U-joint built in.  When it's time to operate at 45* you don't want to be mounting or unmounting hardware.      

Hell, the same thing could be accomplished wireless, with an App on your phone.
View Quote

Google Glass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I dinnae know they make an Accutact for Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems more useful than that glock attachment the Israelis came up with years back for shooting around corners.  Personally I like the German WW2 stg44 that had the curved barrel
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure if I saw some guy with one at the range I'd call him a tool.

This serves a purpose for a task. One that you won't encounter as a range warrior.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen one in person. They're cool. Pretty limited though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Add a magnifier and take advantage of what's left of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking the same thing. It is a cool idea.

I couldn't see any good reason to buy that, aside from having more money than I knew what to do with. Or maybe some government funding.

If close range trench warfare is your thing, then why not.  Aside from that, I'll keep my money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems more useful than that glock attachment the Israelis came up with years back for shooting around corners.  Personally I like the German WW2 stg44 that had the curved barrel
View Quote

I remeber reading about that gem. Leave it to the german engineers to come up with a revolutionary idea that is well tested and engineered, but yet has little useful purpose out side of a few very specific situations.

But man, was it cool.

If they made an accurate curved barrel, or if I had the money for that crooked eye sight, I would try to use them for hunting. Assuming that I had money squirting out of my ass. Good luck crawling behind your precious tree, Mr. Squirrel. Guess what? That stick looking thing is actually a rifle! Bang. Sorry, bro. Technology beats squirrel every time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
It's the thought that counts
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm more confused where the F Hagerman, NM is!  I've lived here for 6 years and never heard of it!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm more confused where the F Hagerman, NM is!  I've lived here for 6 years and never heard of it!
View Quote
Population 1,255... lol

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#20]
It seems pretty pointless.  You can look around corners with just a small amount of exposure now
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#21]
On the second pic it's hanging to the left and on the third to the right.How does it accomplish that it doesn't have a rail on top and bottom?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#22]
You can rotate it to whatever angle you want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
operate operationally
View Quote

Tacticool cop in the OP needs to join the Army if he wants to play soldier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This serves a purpose for a task. One that you won't encounter as a range warrior.
View Quote

Whatevs, I'm thinking with this don't have to choose between shooting off and sipping my Big Gulp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the second pic it's hanging to the left and on the third to the right.How does it accomplish that it doesn't have a rail on top and bottom?
View Quote

Flips left and right in its mount which appears to circle the front of the unit. So it goes < - ^ - >
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks tier.  Too tier for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I might get one of those. I patrol my property every night, and this would allow me to remain behind cover while I am looking for tangos trying to infiltrate my perimeter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember when everyone said that about lasers. Now they're mainstream.

Not saying that this will go mainstream but I wouldn't  write it off totally. It could save you from having to fall out of your truck one day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like something Pee Wee Herman could make good use of.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I love this place
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It seems pretty pointless.  You can look around corners with just a small amount of exposure now
View Quote

Zero exposure vs small amount of exposure....

If I was getting shot at which one would I want?    Hmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
There are probably about 200 people in the whole country for whom this is a more important thing to spend money on than more training.  Neat device, but we're really grasping at straws for new gear that makes you better at this point.  I guess that means we're in a really good spot: the lessons learned from 14 years of war have been fully integrated into the hardware so now we're down to producing these very niche products with minimal real application, and likewise the lessons have been so fully integrated into the software that we have Costa going to Japan to walk the catwalk, and Haley reduced to teaching vocabulary lessons instead of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Population 1,255... lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Population 1,255... lol

I've spent a good bit of my life in NM, and had to look it up too.

Did a google street view of the main street in town, and many building fronts look closed and unused for years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

The whole optic rotates in the mount, so it can been adjusted to any angle on the fly.

The Aimpoint rep mimicked what most on here have stated--it's an optic with a very specific purpose that is very useful to a very small number of people.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
thought the image was a portable urinal
I was thinking did aimpoint really make that
View Quote

Hey, can I borrow your aimpoint for a moment???
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top