Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2014 5:48:17 PM EDT
Picked one up today to replace my whooped S3.What are some "must have" apps?Any good free anti virus/security programs?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need antivirus if you just use your head.  Seriously.  Go into your security and set up your full device encryption first.  Then download and set up device manager.  Pykl is a good radar app for weather.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need antivirus if you just use your head.  Seriously.  Go into your security and set up your full device encryption first.  Then download and set up device manager.  Pykl is a good radar app for weather.
View Quote

Device manager? Do tell.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
How much of a nerd are you?

Root plus xposed modules open up quite a bit of customizations. Just make sure you flash twrp recovery and back up first.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much of a nerd are you?

Root plus xposed modules open up quite a bit of customizations. Just make sure you flash twrp recovery and back up first.
View Quote

I'm not very into all this hi tech stuff too much like a lot of guy's on here to be honest.Just looking for some basic simple things I can do without messing anything up .
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not very into all this hi tech stuff too much like a lot of guy's on here to be honest.Just looking for some basic simple things I can do without messing anything up .
View Quote

What do you use your phone for and what would you like to use your phone to do?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Email,sending pics,browsing the web,shopping,Facebook ect...Just basic things.Not running a business or anything with it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Email,sending pics,browsing the web,shopping,Facebook ect...Just basic things.Not running a business or anything with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get Inbox, Chrome, and Device Manager if you don't already have them.  Google Keep is a great way to snyc notes (grocery lists, to do lists, etc) across devices.  Give Google Play Music a try and spend some time in the Play Store browsing by category so see if anything catches your eye.

ETA

Also give Hangouts a try to see if you like it better than the included Messenger app.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a wireless charging kit -- about $15 on Ebay.  No more fiddling with cables to charge your phone.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a wireless charging kit -- about $15 on Ebay.  No more fiddling with cables to charge your phone.  
View Quote

Now that sounds like a plan
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Circle Launcher (available at the Play Store).

It allows you to group several different apps into one button.  I put all of my stock market apps in one, news apps in another, etc.

Reduces clutter.

One thing I had on my old Galaxy that I can no longer find:  a simple carbon fiber or similar wallpaper.  The only ones I can find are active; prefer non-active for the battery savings.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
2048 - Game
Airdroid - sync pics/videos/files to laptop
Battle of Zombies - Game
Breaking News - Vija Anand
Cerberus Anti-theft - GREAT APP - MUST HAVE OUT OF ALL OF THESE
Clash of Clans - Game - there are several Afrcom clans
DOT Placard Lookup - fun on trips
Endomondo - sports tracker
Evernote - Notes
eVolve SMS or Textra - SMS replacement app that works with Pushbullet to allow you to respond to texts from laptop
GoodReads - Books
Google Chrome to Phone - send links/pics to phone from desktop/laptop browser
gReader - RSS reader
Hide it Pro - hide pictures, SMS, files, videos with PIN
HBO Go
iHeart Radio
Lastpass - password management
Netflix
Nova Launcher - homescreen replacement
Pandora Radio
Plague - Game
Pocketcasts - podcasts
Pushbullet - notifications to your PC
Quickpic - gallery replacement
Raindar - radar app
Send to Kindle - send long web reading to your kindle
Text Plus - send text messages from another number without using your plan's message allowance
Torque Pro - get an OBD scanner from Amazon for $15 to diagnose car problems
Wallpaper Changer
Waze - better than Google Maps for navigation
WeatherBug
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like Circle Launcher (available at the Play Store).

It allows you to group several different apps into one button.  I put all of my stock market apps in one, news apps in another, etc.

Reduces clutter.

One thing I had on my old Galaxy that I can no longer find:  a simple carbon fiber or similar wallpaper.  The only ones I can find are active; prefer non-active for the battery savings.
View Quote

There are plenty here http://bit.ly/12i6oYq
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top