Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 10:09:58 AM EDT
Smidgens of text taken from a linkedin page.

I am Retired from the U.S. ARMY
where I was a Long Range Recon Patrol Leader in Vietnam for two years as an 11B40P (Infantry Airborne Ranger Team Leader), return to the states got out and started college and worked. I was out approx. a year when I returned to the Army and Changed from Infantry to Vechicle, Generator (Aux Power), Track Maintenance, still as an Airborne Ranger. My last 7 to 8 years was spent as an Army Recruiter 00R40P/G (every postion from field recruiter, station commander, guidence counselor, temporary Company First Sgt ) and retired.

U.S. Army Recruiting Command
December 1980 – April 1988 (7 years 5 months)

Work from every thing from being a field recriuter, station commander, guidence counselor, training nco to temporary
Company 1SGT and then retired. Tried to return during Desert storm but due to combat injurys my request was declined. I concider myself to this day as a "PROFESSIONAL SOLDIER"

Platoon SGT 75th Rangers
U.S. Army Airborne Ranger Retired
January 1969 – December 1980 (12 years)
trained new soldiers that came in to the Motor Pool on equipment ranging full aux power equipment to Track (Tanks, Self propeled 105 Cannon) to become better mechanics when they came in as well as Ranger Training mostly hand to hand warfare.

LRRP TEAM LEADER VIETNAM
January 1969 – December 1970 (2 years)

He was a mechanic who taught "hand to hand warfare."  I think Steven Seagal might have made a movie based on this man's life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd argue full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd argue full of shit.
View Quote

You know what's always interesting with these guys.  I'm Googling this guy's name.  He's on all kinds of websites, signing his name with all his supposed accomplishments and titles, he's been interviewed by a news station for his "21 years as a ranger," and all this other shit.

It's the same M.O. with them all.  They want their name out there, they want people to know who they are.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know what's always interesting with these guys.  I'm Googling this guy's name.  He's on all kinds of websites, signing his name with all his supposed accomplishments and titles, he's been interviewed by a news station for his "21 years as a ranger," and all this other shit.

It's the same M.O. with them all.  They want their name out there, they want people to know who they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd argue full of shit.

I'd oblige them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
fwiw, some of that sounds halfway legit in the way that some former members of the military misrepresent their time.

oh, and lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say possibly a veteran but definitely an embellished resume.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would say possibly a veteran but definitely an embellished resume.
View Quote

That's what a lot of them are.  They have to tack on "I was speshul ops / SEAL / Ranger" onto the end of a legitimate, respectable resume.

This guy is telling news stations he served "21 years as a Ranger" and was "injured twice in Vietnam," but says on one interview he was only IN Vietnam from 1969 to 1970.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

where I was a Long Range Recon Patrol Leader in Vietnam for two years as an 11B40P (Infantry Airborne Ranger Team Leader), return to the states got out and started college and worked. I was out approx. a year when I returned to the Army and Changed from Infantry to Vechicle, Generator (Aux Power), Track Maintenance, still as an Airborne Ranger. My last 7 to 8 years was spent as an Army Recruiter 00R40P/G (every postion from field recruiter, station commander, guidence counselor, temporary Company First Sgt ) and retired.

Work from every thing from being a field recriuter, station commander, guidence counselor, training nco to temporary

Company 1SGT and then retired. Tried to return during Desert storm but due to combat injurys my request was declined. I concider myself to this day as a "PROFESSIONAL SOLDIER"

Platoon SGT 75th Rangers

trained new soldiers that came in to the Motor Pool on equipment ranging full aux power equipment to Track (Tanks, Self propeled 105 Cannon) to become better mechanics when they came in as well as Ranger Training mostly hand to hand warfare.

LRRP TEAM LEADER VIETNAM

He was a mechanic who taught "hand to hand warfare." I think Steven Seagal might have made a movie based on this man's life.
View Quote

IF he was Airborne-qualified and Ranger-qualified (went to jump school and Ranger School), he didn't cease to be Airborne-qualified and Ranger-qualified IF he reenlisted and changed MOS.

However, many Soldiers assigned to LRRPs in Vietnam were neither Airborne or Ranger. And he gives his MOS in Vietnam as 11B40P, which is a Infantry Sergeant First Class who is Airborne qualified (back then "R" was the Ranger identifier and there was a dual qualifier code but I can't remember it).

Assignment to a LRRP did not make a person a Ranger.  Nor would he train mechanics in Ranger training or hand-to-hand.  Mechanics mechanic.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I knew someone could very clearly make sense of all that.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sfc-b-skypilot-donaldson-ret-army-ranger/36/4a3/45

Interviews with news.  He sure likes telling people he was a Ranger.

http://www.inyork.com/local/ci_12391155

http://yorkdispatch.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=39208468&event=1374990&CategoryID=60381

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvRKfMAHkA&list=UUBaYrsAgK9YPFhipwHpeonA

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd argue full of shit.
View Quote

Probably motor pool supporting Rangers, so you, know, that pretty much makes him a Ranger.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I did not know Rangers had Self-Propelled 105mm Howitzer
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't understand why anyone would lie about service....I'm especially befuddled by a liar who actually served.

I was an aircraft electrician.  I'm proud of my accomplishments as an aircraft electrician.  My training as an aircraft electrician opened some doors for me after I retired.  I spent my career in the rear with the gear.  I was happy to be a REMF/Pogue because I knew that my efforts mattered.  I helped put ordnance on target and plenty of the F-16s I worked on got some of my ground pounding cousins out of danger.

I've never claimed to have gone behind enemy lines with nothing but a KaBar and an erection--not even to get laid.  It wouldn't be true and it would dishonor the real warriors.  

FYI, I think my uncle was the busiest guy in Korea.  He's the only Army cook I ever met.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

IF he was Airborne-qualified and Ranger-qualified (went to jump school and Ranger School), he didn't cease to be Airborne-qualified and Ranger-qualified IF he reenlisted and changed MOS.

However, many Soldiers assigned to LRRPs in Vietnam were neither Airborne or Ranger. And he gives his MOS in Vietnam as 11B40P, which is a Infantry Sergeant First Class who is Airborne qualified (back then "R" was the Ranger identifier and there was a dual qualifier code but I can't remember it).

Assignment to a LRRP did not make a person a Ranger. Nor would he train mechanics in Ranger training or hand-to-hand. Mechanics mechanic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Platoon SGT 75th Rangers

LRRP TEAM LEADER VIETNAM

He was a mechanic who taught "hand to hand warfare." I think Steven Seagal might have made a movie based on this man's life.

Assignment to a LRRP did not make a person a Ranger. Nor would he train mechanics in Ranger training or hand-to-hand. Mechanics mechanic.

And while there were technically companies of the 75th Infantry (Airborne)(Ranger) in Vietnam (divisional LRRP companies), the first Ranger battalion was formed in 1974. And it never had tanks or self-propelled guns or any tracked vehicles.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd guess former service, but embellishing the heck out things.

Never figured why people figure they have to lie about that sort of thing.  I work with a guy who is as proud of his service as he could be, and he'll flat out tell you he rarely even held a weapon while deployed, and never fired a shot in anger in three deployments to Afghanistan as a 12W.  He did build a bitching bookcase/entertainment center for a Major General at some point, and has the pictures to prove it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The P in 11B40P is for "parachutist."  Ranger qualified parachutist is "V".  I think "G" is for ranger qualified but no airborne school.  Pretty rare, but I knew a guy who went from the 7th ID and he was a G.

An infantry NCO that is a "V" gets managed by a particular branch manager in the infantry branch, known colloquially as "victor branch" (At least it was that way 10-15 years ago.)   Those infantry NCOs that were V's were managed separately as there were duty positions specifically requiring 'V''s.  as in: "I called up victor branch and they said no slots in Bragg, but I could PCS to Campbell next year"...etc.    

He probably was a generator mechanic and recruiter.  Ranger? No.  Poser.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top