Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 6:43:01 PM EDT
hey guys, my older brother has a 1998 R1100RT and I'd like to get him a cruise control for the bike for christmas. I can't find the handlebar diameter online anywhere. should I be after a 1in of 7/8in diameter unit?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Allow me to suggest you get him something else. My BMW mechanics tell me those things never really work right.

Proud owner of a 2009 K1300GT here.........................

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
i have the eltric cruise control on my gs 800 (it came with it) don't waste your time with it. when i ride with other riders i cant use it because everyone else hase throtle locks and they speed up and slow down with the hills and terain. mine stays right where i put it. this is great but no one else will drop the money on them so i am constanly adjusting it every dand secound it feels like. i just give up and use the throtle lock like everyone else and then keep up with the pack.

now when i do love it is when im out by my self and just want to set and forget., but the trottle lock will do the same thing for a lot less money, put the money into better horn, deinally lights or better yet a riding course (you wont belive what you will come home with in knoledge from them)

just my 2 cents on them as i have both and hardly use the thing. i know my next bike won't have it
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have that particular model of BMW but I have owned a BMW bike.  Try googling R1100RT Throttle lock instead of cruise control

Kaoko

Throttlemeister

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Here you go...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1232/50369/Kaoko-Cruise-Control?v=8148

My K1200LT has factory electronic cruise and it works flawlessly.
It may be available for the RT  but it will be spendy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
'74 R90S.

No cruise control for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
the reason I ask if I wanna pick up one of the go cruise "throttle clips" but they make one in 1in and one in 7/8in just not sure which one to get. for his bike.
if you haven't seen em before, check em out, simple effective, low cost solution. they make a great stocking stuffer at christmas, I've given em to most of my friends the past few years

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
so whats the verdict lol, 1in or 7/8 in?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using this o-ring and it holds the throttle really well. I had a Wunderlich installed but it didn't work correctly.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
R75/5, no cruise. Not much of anything else either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am 99% sure it is 7/8ths

BUT I would skip the cruise and go with either Throttlemeister or Krakoa (however the fuck it is spelled) UNLESS, you want to spend a few hundred or more on fully electronic
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know for sure, but back in the day when I had foreign bikes they were all 7/8 and Harley was 1in. But the foreign bikes were Honda, Suzuki and Triumph for me and that has been some years ago.

I think the throttle lock is a decent idea for long tours and strait flat highways, I put them on a couple bikes that I rode any distance on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know for sure, but back in the day when I had foreign bikes they were all 7/8 and Harley was 1in. But the foreign bikes were Honda, Suzuki and Triumph for me and that has been some years ago.

I think the throttle lock is a decent idea for long tours and strait flat highways, I put them on a couple bikes that I rode any distance on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm if I'm gonna be on the bike more than an hour I'll throw a go cruise throttle lock on the bike. yeah, i'm lazy as dirt
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Throttlemeister on my VFR. Works well but pretty expensive for what it is and does I think.
It's unobtrusive though,just looks like a silver bar-end and is easy to roll on.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
7/8"

I use KAOKO brand throttle friction device.

I am not aware of a cruise control for that model, even if there was, I would not use, recommend, nor install one on a cycle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is 1", FWIW. Go with that, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top