Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:22:54 PM EDT
Help me out guys. I'm currently with Sprint, have 2 phones, and am paying $160 a month for unlimited everything. Both contracts are up, so I'd like to get something cheaper.

Requirements:
-I would like a Galaxy S5 and Blackberry Q10.
-Right now I'm using less than 1GB of data per month, but that's because I mostly use WiFi. Would be comfortable with 3GB or so, in case I'm away from home for a few weeks.
-I'm ok with buying the phones straight up, as long as the money numbers make that a good idea.
-No shenanigans, shady contracts, stupidity, or anything annoying.
-I travel a lot, so the phones should have decent nationwide coverage (not sure if that matters anymore)
-Main concern is saving money. Don't suggest anything that costs close to what I'm paying now.

Would calling Sprint and threatening to cancel make them cut me a better deal?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody? Really? I thought we had experts on everything here...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Straight Talk
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Sprint eligible phone...Ting.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
They all suck.  Whoever has the funniest commercials, IMO.

/thread

TC
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck dumping Sprint.

Kicking Nazis out of France was easier.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
T-mobile will send you an Iphone 5S to test drive for a week free of charge.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a shit ton of phones for sale in Ferguson.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I travel a lot...

Verizon is the best coverage...

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Straight Talk.
Under $50 per line including taxes, 3GB 4G LTE on ATT towers.
Not sure about the Blackberry, but most any unlocked or ATT compatible phone will work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I travel a lot...

Verizon is the best coverage...

View Quote

Verizon is the most expensive, but they also have the best network and coverage area.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread interests me. My Verizon contract is up next month and anything I switch to will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Verizon has a plan with Unlimited Talk/Text and 1GB of data for $60 per phone. Or $75 per phone if you want 2GB. You can hotspot from your phone if you need.

Good choice on the Q10. I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If you travel, stick with Sprint, Verizon or AT&T

I have TMobile.  I like them but, I lose service in the more rural areas.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Straight Talk on AT&T towers for 3 years now. 3 GB of data, unlimited talk/text.

$49/mo including taxes. Any AT&T or unlocked GSM phone will work. If you travel out of the country, pop in a new SIM in the country and you're good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Get an Obama phone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Page Plus. Pre -paid,  uses Verizon's network. Talk, text, and 500MB data is $30/month. If you have wifi where you need it, you won't need more data.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thread interests me. My Verizon contract is up next month and anything I switch to will be cheaper.
View Quote

Switch over to PagePlus with your current phones.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#19]
This, %100 satsified customer

Quoted:
Straight Talk.
Under $50 per line including taxes, 3GB 4G LTE on ATT towers.
Not sure about the Blackberry, but most any unlocked or ATT compatible phone will work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#20]
in my area T mobile sucks ass, worst server wouldnt even get service in my house, dumped very quickly

Quoted:
T-mobile will send you an Iphone 5S to test drive for a week free of charge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Wife and I switched to Ting last month.  Got our first bill and it was $25.

Of course, I talk, text, and surf very little, but the plan bumps you up into higher "tiers" as you use more of each.  On months when you don't use your phone a lot, you pay very little, but even on months where you need to use more, it's available, albeit at a higher cost.

We brought our own phones, too. Just about any phone that will run on Sprint's network will work.  They even provide a service on their website where you can check your phone to see if it works before signing up.  Both of ours activated with no trouble.

So far, it's working out great.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been a long time Verizon customer. I don't remember the last time I dropped a call and my internet works where most people get absolutely no service. Is it more expensive? Hell yeah but you get what you pay for with a lot of things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#23]
The straight talk website says that if you go over the 3 mb you get throttled until the next billing cycle.  If that happens, are you stuck with the throttled speed or can you pay extra to get more 4g?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using Republic Wireless for over 2 years now. Best switch I ever made. Nationwide calling $23 a month and I barely use any airtime. Almost 100% wifi.        

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Buy a Sprint eligible phone...Ting.com
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm looking for, should save me a TON of money... but I don't think they support Blackberry? Just sent them an email to verify.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Go here:

https://ting.com/byod

and enter the ESN of your phone.

If you get a YES, then you're safe to proceed.

If you get a NO, then I'd call and ask just to make sure.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Brightspot Mobile = $45 unlimited per line. They use T Mobile's system and can be activated online or in a Target store.

Just check T Mobile's coverage map before leaping.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Help me out guys. I'm currently with Sprint, have 2 phones, and am paying $160 a month for unlimited everything. Both contracts are up, so I'd like to get something cheaper.

Requirements:
-Right now I'm using less than 1GB of data per month, but that's because I mostly use WiFi. Would be comfortable with 3GB or so, in case I'm away from home for a few weeks.
-I'm ok with buying the phones straight up, as long as the money numbers make that a good idea.
-I travel a lot, so the phones should have decent nationwide coverage (not sure if that matters anymore)
-Main concern is saving money. Don't suggest anything that costs close to what I'm paying now.

View Quote

I looked at companies that supported the newer Blackberry phones and it's nonexistent. Look for discounts from your company, your business, insurance and such.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Requirements:

View Quote

Ting

https://ting.com/

You've got options to get started.

We want you to come to Ting. We don't care how you get here. Choose from our selection
of new or used devices or bring an inactive Sprint device* and activate it with Ting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top