Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 12:39:46 PM EDT
Tokyo rearms to keep up with Beijing

On Nov. 20, Japan’s ministry of defense announced it would buy billions of dollars’ worth of American-made aircraft and vehicles, including high-tech V-22 Osprey tiltrotors and the latest RQ-4 Global Hawk spy drones.

The new weapons are part of Tokyo’s evolving strategy for deterring—and potentially fighting—China’s increasingly aggressive armed forces in the Western Pacific.

In addition to the Global Hawks, the Japan Air Self-Defense Force will get E-2D Advanced Hawkeye radar early-warning planes. The V-22s will belong to the Ground Self-Defense Force, as will a new fleet of AAV7 amphibious vehicles..

It also begun planning “a multirole ship capable of command and control, large-scale transportation and aviation use for amphibious operations.” The ministry should begin defining the specifications of this new vessel in the next financial year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
well, they can't rely on us any more...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tokyo rearms to keep up with Beijing

On Nov. 20, Japan’s ministry of defense announced it would buy billions of dollars’ worth of American-made aircraft and vehicles, including high-tech V-22 Osprey tiltrotors and the latest RQ-4 Global Hawk spy drones.

The new weapons are part of Tokyo’s evolving strategy for deterring—and potentially fighting—GODZILLA.

View Quote
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
2 very. very large, populous countries with nuclear weapons and big, modernizing military forces... one of which has hate for you going back a millennium or two..... plus a POTUS that has made selling out allies his favorite between-golf-hole hobby.

Can you fucking blame them?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
China is to the the high end Asian arms market as Obama is to US personal firearms sales.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Japan is in a bad economy right now, I bet we are giving them all this stuff in exchange for them canceling some of our debt to them, at least I hope that is the deal! With all the technology China has stole from us, we should just cancel our debt to them
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The new weapons are part of Tokyo’s evolving strategy for deterring—and potentially fighting—China’s increasingly aggressive armed forces in the Western Pacific.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It's all over when Samsung reveals mechs that are controlled by a Starcraft 2 interface.

As for the article, I don't blame Japan. In my uneducated opinion, I think this should have been started years back. It probably was a soon as Obama was elected, this is just the result of years of negotiations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
ironically, they are buying them all with fake money.    

That shit fascinates me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Japan could put a serious hurt on China navally if they wanted to.  Glad to see they're upping their game!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, they can't rely on us any more...
View Quote

Well, neither can we!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be interesting to see how much we're willing to share.  I still remember Toshiba aiding Soviet submarine quieting in the late 80s.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm surprised they went with an E-2D instead of something like a 737 or 767 based airframe.  The range and power of something mounted on the 737 much like the Aussies have would be hugely beneficial.  Unless of course they are thinking of bringing back aircraft carriers for the Japanese Navy
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm surprised they went with an E-2D instead of something like a 737 or 767 based airframe.  The range and power of something mounted on the 737 much like the Aussies have would be hugely beneficial.  Unless of course they are thinking of bringing back aircraft carriers for the Japanese Navy
View Quote

Aperture size does bring a lot of goods, but so does a UHf phased array, particularly when it comes to target RCS.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Israel is likely cancelling their V-22 order,in other news
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top