Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2014 1:28:32 PM EDT
http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=corn&months=60

Back down to the same price as in 2010. Good news for the consumer, bad news for the farmers. I thought maybe this was a seasonal thing, but looking over the 5 year trend, it's not.

Wheat is headed down too, but not as much.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Dollar is stronger.

ETA: It is up almost 10 points from a year ago.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Time for the government to pay farmers not to grow it again....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Record yields in the Midwest, lower ethanol mandate. a lot of farmers are going to have to store it until the price rises.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

herp de derp

drive across ohio, indiana, illinois, missouri and then swing up thru iowa and find me a field sitting idle next spring.

doesnt fucking happen.

when you repeat retarded shit people will assume that you are a retard
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Record yields in the Midwest, lower ethanol mandate. a lot of farmers are going to have to store it until the price rises.
View Quote

price isnt coming back anytime soon.  besides, farmers have bills to pay.  a lot of corn will be sold fpr $3.10
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Helluva year here in Iowa. Supply and demand, I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Poor farmers.  Now they might have to skip on that next Corvette purchase.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The government should just set the price for corn like they do with sugar.

If the farmers are that worried they should buy some futures/options contracts.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

herp de derp

drive across ohio, indiana, illinois, missouri and then swing up thru iowa and find me a field sitting idle next spring.

doesnt fucking happen.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

Are you saying agricultural subsidies don't exist?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

I am pretty sure that's what direct payments as farm subsidies are.

WaPo Aerticle

Another link
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

They do, they is also price setting in the sugar industry. He is either misinformed or is talking about somthing different. He may mean that not everyone gets paid not to farm. Which is true, but some people do get direct payments from the USDA.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They do, they is also price setting in the sugar industry. He is either misinformed or is talking about somthing different. He may mean that not everyone gets paid not to farm. Which is true, but some people do get direct payments from the USDA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

My original point is that with subsidies in place farmers are going to shift their crops to get whatever has the highest guaranteed price, and it will force prices up on other crops the following year. Without the subsidies it would be a yearly roll of the dice and would require a little bit of market research to make sure you are providing something that will have a demand, and that over the long term will level prices out across the board (barring some sort of disaster that wiped a years worth of crops out somehow)
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Not so good for corn growers, good for those who feed-out livestock.  Non ethanol fuel is increasing sales.  Corn is the gold standard for all feeds, barley, wheat, oats etc follow suit.  The .Gov subsidies will go down and less will be produced= higher prices.  Supply and demand rules the day.  Smaller demand will decrease production in hopes of increased prices....unless a regulated amount is released keeping the price "stable".  Also could be other countries growing their own and not buying from us/US.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
does this mean meat prices will go back down to sensible levels?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

with pork it should, it seems to be the virus that was killing the piglets has been contained, as for beef, that's hard to say. A lot of the breeding stock was slaughtered due to the drought Texas had. It may take a few years for beef prices to normalize.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
some perspective:

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I only put corn in my gas tank.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The deer feeder should be pretty cheap to keep full.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
And even better news for beef prices.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Looks  lot like the silver prices

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Moonshiners gonna get richer
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What they paid us for was to overproduce & keep the price low.

You couldn't get the subsidy unless you grew your maximum base acres (base acres were what the government allowed us to plant to that specific crop) minus 10% of 'set aside' acres. The 10% we laid out was always the worst of what we farmed, not the best.

Each 'farm' had its own ID number & its own allotted base acres for each 'program' crop. Soybeans, hay & some other crops had no program so whatever wasn't planted to corn, wheat or some other program crop was still in production.

In order to use land for set aside it had to have been 'farmed' in 2 of the preceding 3 years, so we all went & found any conceivable piece of crap we could get over & 'farmed' it for two years so we could then not farm it again, but keep all our productive ground growing crops. We used waterways, areas surrounded by trees, land so steep it wasn't safe to drive a tractor over.

In the end NO productive land was idle. With the government controlling the price of grain the way it was, it was the only way to survive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

price isnt coming back anytime soon.  besides, farmers have bills to pay.  a lot of corn will be sold fpr $3.10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of corn was sold out of the field for way less than $3.00. If you didn't have enough storage, it had to go somewhere. Leaving it in the field is never an option.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know a few ranchers in this area(beef).  They are getting $6-6.25lb at THEIR level.  I don't know if that's just for prime or ?? but looks like 8$lb for ground beef  The "salvation" for consumers is that cold sob coming down from Canada, if they can't pasture/range feed they have to feed bales/grain etc. which is VERY high.  It may even itself out, you know....4$/lb for hamburger
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the low price the reason I am seeing hundreds of acres around here with corn still standing?

Every field was packed with corn this year, and lots of them haven't even been touched yet
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
EPA ethonal mandate was eased.

Edit:

Also try to get a rail car moved right now. Moving grain in bulk is nearly impossible right now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the way it was done when Reagan was president. Of course the ceiling was set by the govt too. The in between was where the subsidy was. We grew the crop & sold it for way less than the cost of production. We depended on the subsidy for the profit. If you didn't play reagans game, the banker took your farm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the way it was done when Reagan was president. Of course the ceiling was set by the govt too. The in between was where the subsidy was. We grew the crop & sold it for way less than the cost of production. We depended on the subsidy for the profit. If you didn't play reagans game, the banker took your farm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get all worked up about the govt setting prices for farmers. I can see how the govt would like to keep volatility out of food prices. The issue I have is when farmers complain about what they make. Hey, you don't like your income, try somthing else. At times some farmers come across as being entitled to certain levels of income.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Hopefully this will slow down the bidding wars I've seen at the last few farm auctions I've been to. Going to take a loooooong time for that 8-10K/acre farm ground to pay for itself with these low grain prices. Of course got to figure the manipulative gov. subsidized "crop insurance" that is priced into that market. Kind of like a Sec 8 rental house being worth twice as much as it would be otherwise with all the landlords resting easy knowing Uncle Sugar is there to take up the slack.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Less ethanol being used for gas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

They pretty much don't & haven't for quite a while. Direct subsidy payments are long over with, along with acreage allotments.

The 80's under Reagan were the high point of that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They pretty much don't & haven't for quite a while. Direct subsidy payments are long over with, along with acreage allotments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

herp de derp

doesnt fucking happen.

The payments that do exist are smaller than a rounding error in the fiscal budget.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#33]
In before the "buy at retail, sell at wholesale" crowd.

Did you ever notice farmers and those "oil people" are both cut from the same cloth when it comes to their "lower prices hurt the country" herp-derp.  

Heaven forbid the rest of us can enjoy lower prices for a change.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The price of meat in the store or even the price of the animal on the hoof have nearly nothing to do with the price of grain.

It's the demand of each vs the quantity of the supply that drives the price.

Usually when prices do drop for the raw material, the price of the finished product falls slower so margins & profit levels can be taken advantage of. So even if live cattle prices slip, meat in the store will probably be slower to go down.

Most think the cattle market is going to be good for quite a while as it takes quite a bit of time to increase the herd size
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't get all worked up about the govt setting prices for farmers. I can see how the govt would like to keep volatility out of food prices. The issue I have is when farmers complain about what they make. Hey, you don't like your income, try somthing else. At times some farmers come across as being entitled to certain levels of income.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When your own government is the only thing keeping you from making a living at your chosen occupation, don't you think it's a justifiable gripe?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you ever notice farmers and those "oil people" are both cut from the same cloth when it comes to their "lower prices hurt the country" herp-derp.  

View Quote

When the government finally does get out of the oil & Ag business, the very first thing you're going to see IS higher prices - which, being on the production end, I'd kinda like to see.

The misconception is that govt involvement isn't to keep prices up, it's designed to keep prices DOWN. It was never the farmer that was subsidized, it was the consumer!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  US cattle herd size is the lowest it has been since the 50's.  As a result, many heiffer calves that would normally be fattened up and sent to slaughter are being held back to become breeding stock.  There are a few more years of high bef prices ahead of us I believe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When your own government is the only thing keeping you from making a living at your chosen occupation, don't you think it's a justifiable gripe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some farmers, sure, but for sugar farmers, if there were no tariffs and price setting for sugar, they would have no industry or jobs. Mexico would supply all the sugar we needed at a much lower price. So yes, I do find it odd when you complain about your profits when the federal government is the only reason your industry still exist.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll just make it up on volume.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Corn has a something like 30 year cycle.  It will probably be low the next 6-8 years.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I knew rail prices went through the roof.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When the government finally does get out of the oil & Ag business, the very first thing you're going to see IS higher prices - which, being on the production end, I'd kinda like to see.

The misconception is that govt involvement isn't to keep prices up, it's designed to keep prices DOWN. It was never the farmer that was subsidized, it was the consumer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the truth. The consumer was subsidized with their own tax dollars.  Now the good old days of CRP payments were when we were being paid not to farm ground that should have never been in production in the first place.  This was done to lower silt polution in the rivers. It also was price manipulation by the government.  That bought me my first piece of ground.  I do feel a little guilty about that, but over the years I have paid far more in taxes then what I bought that ground for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I knew rail prices went through the roof.
View Quote

Yes they did.  Competing with baaken oil has driven the transportation costs by rail of grain and fertilizer through the roof. Farmers end up paying that, wether some on here want to believe it or not.  Grain buyers include a fee called the basis.  It is their cost to get the grain transported from the producers to the end users.  The price of corn on the board is not what we get paid.  In my area, you can generally take anywhere from 60 cents to $1.20 off the cbot price to account for basis.  Areas close to a river for barge transportation, or a major rail line have a much lower basis, and in times of grain shortages, a positive basis is not uncommon in those areas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will sell for $3, others who saved for a rainy day won't. They will store it until they can get a better price.

Now that the accelerated depreciation deal is gone most won't be buying new equipment either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#46]
It was fucking ridiculous for a few years - but $12/hundred is still not cheep. Oh, wait, that is the consumer price for deer corn.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit!!

Our inputs have gone batshit in the last 30 years, yet the returns have been dropping, and adjusted for inflation, we have been below 1986 price levels for the last three years, despite long term production losses from weather, and US funded foreign invasive pest imports.

The consumer will happily pay 30 bucks for half gallon of booze, but bitch about a 2 dollar pint of fruit that cost $1.40 to get into the store, and demand us farmers stop gouging them.

Three generations removed from reality, and Hockey puck stupid on real economics...people amaze me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It was fucking ridiculous for a few years - but $12/hundred is still not cheep.
View Quote

Corn is very cheap.  Thanks to massive increases in the cost of fertilizer, seed, land rent, and equipment costs it is slightly below or right at the cost of production depending on how sharp your pencil is.  That is assuming an average crop.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Bumper crop this year.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top