Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2014 12:12:57 PM EDT
Young people who torture and kill animals are prone to violence against people later in life if it goes unchecked, studies have shown. A new federal category for animal cruelty crimes will help root out those pet abusers before their behavior worsens and give a boost to prosecutions, an animal welfare group says.

For years, the FBI has filed animal abuse under the label "other" along with a variety of lesser crimes, making cruelty hard to find, hard to count and hard to track. The bureau announced this month that it would make animal cruelty a Group A felony with its own category — the same way crimes like homicide, arson and assault are listed.

"It will help get better sentences, sway juries and make for better plea bargains," said Madeline Bernstein, president and CEO of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles and a former New York prosecutor.

The category also will help identify young offenders, and a defendant might realize "if he gets help now, he won't turn into Jeffrey Dahmer," she said.

Law enforcement agencies will have to report incidents and arrests in four areas: simple or gross neglect; intentional abuse and torture; organized abuse, including dogfighting and cockfighting; and animal sexual abuse, the FBI said in statement. The bureau didn't answer questions beyond a short statement.

"The immediate benefit is it will be in front of law enforcement every month when they have to do their crime reports," said John Thompson, interim executive director of the National Sheriffs' Association who worked to get the new animal cruelty category instituted. "That's something we have never seen."

Officers will start to see the data are facts and "not just somebody saying the 'Son of Sam' killed animals before he went to human victims and 70-some percent of the school shooters abused animals prior to doing their acts before people," said Thompson, a retired assistant sheriff from Prince George's County, Maryland.

FBI studies show that serial killers like Dahmer impaled the heads of dogs, frogs and cats on sticks; David Berkowitz, known as the "Son of Sam," poisoned his mother's parakeet; and Albert DeSalvo, aka the "Boston Strangler," trapped cats and dogs in wooden crates and killed them by shooting arrows through the boxes.

It will take time and money to update FBI and law enforcement databases nationwide, revise manuals and send out guidelines, Thompson said, so there won't be any data collected until January 2016. After that, it will take several months before there are numbers to analyze.

Rest at link
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macdonald_triad

The triad links cruelty to animals, obsession with fire setting, and persistent bedwetting past a certain age, to violent behaviors, particularly homicidal behavior and sexually predatory behavior.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
See I have no issue with this because usually if some psycho fuck can do this to animals he or she can progress to people pretty easily down the line.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See I have no issue with this because usually if some psycho fuck can do this to animals he or she can progress to people pretty easily down the line.
View Quote
Exactly, I'm seeing this as a good way to get these loons snagged up before they are done practicing on animals.

I had a student that like to smash kittens with his feet into piles of goo. He no longer walks among us in society, thankfully. But he'll get out one day and some one will die.
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until PETA/FBI redefine animal cruelty to include farming practices or feeding them canned food.
[#5]
Disagree. This is like restricting guns because someone *might* kill someone later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't realize the FBI had legal authority to determine what is and isn't a felony.  Also, this WILL be abused.  If you live in a rural area and have a dog that needs to be put down, a lot of folks put their own dogs down.  Now they'll have to go pay several hundred dollars for a vet to do it.  Have a feral cat on your property?  Won't be able to shoot it.  The feral cat population has decimated the native songbird populations in the US.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Until PETA/FBI redefine animal cruelty to include farming practices or feeding them canned food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did Alex Jones buy your train ticket? Does the ride never end?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol

You mean I can't torture my dolphin?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lol

View Quote

And if your dolphin rapes you it gets off scot free

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Who gets to decide what the definition of animal cruelty is? The government. It can mean whatever they want it to mean. And then if there are ever any mandatory minimum sentences, it could make a felon out of any of us.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The Department of Pre-Crime takes another slouching step towards birth.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't realize the FBI had legal authority to determine what is and isn't a felony.  Also, this WILL be abused.  If you live in a rural area and have a dog that needs to be put down, a lot of folks put their own dogs down.  Now they'll have to go pay several hundred dollars for a vet to do it.  Have a feral cat on your property?  Won't be able to shoot it.  The feral cat population has decimated the native songbird populations in the US.
View Quote

I suspect this was a press release by the SPCA or similar. I believe, what they are referring to is the FBI will now track animal abuse/cruelty as a Uniform Crime Report enumerated offense, as opposed to lumping it into the "Miscellaneous" category. FBI really cannot designate whether a crime is a felony or misdemeanor. UCR just breaks it down by offense classification/definition. Could be wrong though, since other enforcement agencies seems to have the power to legislate as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess they would be working on criminalizing bed wetting next,good thing I quit drinking.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So what law was passed by congress to allow this new level of authority by the FBI?

Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen some nasty animal cruelty on the webz.  Everyone has.  Fuck those people.  Rot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote

They need a good flogging once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless, of course, you're in the NFL.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess they would be working on criminalizing bed wetting next,good thing I quit drinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Precrime much?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, PETA people have an agenda.  It dovetails with the agenda of the current administration. How is this a hard concept?  I never listen to AJ, go to info wars or any of that shit.  I simply look at how authoritarians have abused laws and power throughout history and make logical conclusions.

Eta, not saying that real cruelty is OK, but new regulations, definitions, etc coming at society at a rapid fire pace reduces the chances that they are fully reviewed, understood and the potential unintended consequences handled.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]
If everyone that hurt animals when they were younger grew up to become killers there should be a lot more murders don't you think?

Also, why is the FBI concerning themselves with what should be a state or local police concern, are the kids crossing state lines to commit their animal abuse?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who gets to decide what the definition of animal cruelty is? The government. It can mean whatever they want it to mean. And then if there are ever any mandatory minimum sentences, it could make a felon out of any of us.
View Quote

Hunters and Trappers be wary............
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Precrime much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precrime much?

To hell with pre-crime, I think torturing animals should be a crime period.  The problem with that is how animal cruelty would be defined.  PETA would define it as taking eggs from chickens while sensible people would define it as doing something to intentionally inflict pain and suffering on an animal for one's own amusement.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
MSU medical student says he killed 13 greyhounds out of anger.

The 24-year-old Michigan State University osteopathic medicine student said he would throw them to the ground or against a wall, grab them by the neck or beat them. All were small, Italian greyhounds.

http://archive.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110706/NEWS01/107060324/MSU-medical-student-says-he-killed-13-greyhounds-out-anger

Greyhounds like my little girl here sleeping on my lap:

And this little girl here on my couch:

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Precrime much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precrime much?

Would you be ok with it if their reasoning was simply because torturing animals is disgusting and the penalties aren't stiff enough?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#26]
There was a case in NC where someone set a GSD on fire and left it to die. Thankfully he survived and is now a therapy dog (for children I think). In cases like these I'd love to see these douches get federal charges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Would you be ok with it if their reasoning was simply because torturing animals is disgusting and the penalties aren't stiff enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precrime much?

I wouldn't.

Tortuous behavior is disgusting and abhorrent.  And I wouldn't associate with such people.

But I will not give the government more tools which - with a slight change of meaning - grant more powers to Government than needed or intended.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#28]
So they experts have realized that young people that are cruel to animals often become adults who may be:

cruel to animals

exhibit violent behavior

rapists

murderers/serial killers

Their answer is to wait until they are adults and slap them with stiffer penalties? That's mostly okay with me. Lock them up and throw away the key. I like dags and kitties and most non-varmints.

Why not identify them while they are young enough to correct, if they can be corrected? They aren't all little Dexters.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody has been paying attention.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And there is the problem.. Of course its not big deal now.. most of us would never think of harming an animal, but once its gets redefined over years, next thing you know, feeding your cat gluten packed non GMO food becomes a felony. Of course some here will think this will never happen.. lol but just give it time.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol

Yes means yes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There was a case in NC where someone set a GSD on fire and left it to die. Thankfully he survived and is now a therapy dog (for children I think). In cases like these I'd love to see these douches get federal charges.
View Quote

Why, is a state or local felony not crime enough?  If you want to ensure punishment, make sure that you and your local reps ensure that the local justice system has appropriate punishments for such acts.  I understand the emotional component, but shouldn't we leave things like terror trials and illegal aliens to the fed justice system, instead of swamping it with more cases it can't handle, but will become the forefront of media attention, due to the emotional hook....

Federal courts should handle the cases dealing with subjects that can affect the country as a whole.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Farmers too. Slaughter a chicken for the market or your table and end up as a felon. Go to any of the youtube videos that instruct how to properly dispatch a chicken and then go read the comment section. Nothing is stoping those Vegan loons from being in the FBI and pushing their agenda.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty sure you're a sick worthless fuck if you take an axe to a horse

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The radical animal lovers have got a referendum on the Maine ballot coming up that would ban 93% of all Bear hunting in the state. They have said their goal is to ban ALL hunting and fishing....period. They dislike trapping, hounds or baiting. Baiting gets most of the bears in the state. In a thick forest state like Maine, if you can not bait or use hounds or trap, then you are going to kill a hunting culture in this state and see a bear population explode into suburban/urban areas. Hell, the bear population has increased over 50% over the last 10 years despite all of these measures.

Make no mistake, the bears will still be baited and trapped but it will just be done by government employees being hired with tax dollars to do the killing.

Additional taxes needed, tax and fee revenues from hunters lost to cover it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpg]http://]http://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpg

View Quote

I'm fine with people who do that getting felonies and locked away from society.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I have zero problems with the FBI tracking crime stats or reclassifying animal cruelty with respect to how it is tracked for statistical purposes.

And no, the FBI didn't turn animal cruelty into a top-tier felony.  They simply moved animal cruelty out of the miscellaneous crime category and into it's own category for statical record keeping purposes like they do with other criminal record keeping.  e.g., property crime and motor vehicle theft.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpg]http://]http://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/tlsm1it.jpg

View Quote

Whoever did that needs to be put down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  Add to the list things like medical research, disciplining your pet, fencing pets, and any other myriad of things normal people do but PETA doesn't believe in.  And this is only the FBI making this decision to make this a felony.

Doesn't Congress have to write laws that declare specific criminal acts to be felonies, not some desk pilot at the FBI, EPA, IRS ATF or whatever other alphabit agency that may be involved?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote

I'll still be able to touch my monkey though, right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Disagree. This is like restricting guns because someone *might* kill someone later.

View Quote

Office of Pre-Crime
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep shoot a rabid coon,possum,skunk,coyote on your property.....how about shooting your neighbors pitbull as its in your yard threatening you or
your loved ones or livestock or pets....

How about not putting your dog in a seat belt while traveling in the car or yelling at them when they are naughty.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have zero problems with the FBI tracking crime stats or reclassifying animal cruelty with respect to how it is tracked for statistical purposes.

And no, the FBI didn't turn animal cruelty into a top-tier felony.  They simply moved animal cruelty out of the miscellaneous crime category and into it's own category for statical record keeping purposes like they do with other criminal record keeping.  e.g., property crime and motor vehicle theft.

View Quote

Sssshhhh, you're getting in the way of the hysteria. Precrime!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Riiight.  A law against something that someone actually does and then gets charged under is "precrime".

Just like marijuana laws are precrime because it's a "gateway drug".

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. There's a notable link between animal torture and violent crime against people.

There is, however, no justification for the feds to stick their fingers in it.

This is a state matter. The feds should shut up. Uncle Sugar needs to learn its place.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#46]
What if I hurt my dogs feelings?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What if I hurt my dogs feelings?
View Quote

No charges but it could come into play during the separation hearing and affect petimony.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCKING THIS !

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#49]
FCD: Future Crimes Division.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

They can humanely put a round through its head and it's the proper way to do it.  As clean a kill as possible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top