Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you're gonna use it for.  The graphic card is pretty weak.  

Build your own.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Brand
   iBUYPOWER

Model
   ARC Series NE611FX

Type
   Gaming & Entertainment

Usage
   Consumer

Processor
   AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz

Processor Main Features
   64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor
   4MB L3 Cache

Memory
   4GB DDR3 1600

Hard Drive
   1TB SATA II 7200RPM

Optical Drive
   24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphics
   NVIDIA Geforce GT 610 1GB

Power Supply
   300W

Operating System
   Windows 8.1 64-Bit

View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Build your own.  
View Quote

Wouldn't know what to buy to do that...I figured I'd get a "starter" gaming PC, that will probably spend most of its time doing non-gaming stuff...but be able to play most games too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#4]

For gaming, no.

You will need a better graphics card, more memory, and better power supply.

For surfing the web, youtubing, and fapping, it will work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wouldn't know what to buy to do that...I figured I'd get a "starter" gaming PC, that will probably spend most of its time doing non-gaming stuff...but be able to play most games too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Build your own.  

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Build your own.  

I'm running that same graphics card.

I don't game with it, so I don't mind.

Then again, I have the six-core processor and 8 GB of RAM.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build your own.  

Oh, you're being serious.  Sorry.

No, that's a shitty PC.  Video Card is very weak.  The CPU is junk.  The PSU is throw-away grade, I'm sure.  The HD is completely unacceptable.  The case is ugly, although that is subjective.  The OS is terrible, and that's a stone cold fact.

Do not buy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build your own.  

Graphics card is way too weak to play today's titles but easily upgradeable. The power supply at 300 watt will need to be upgraded as well with a new card.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Needs:

More RAM
SSD
Better graphics card
Bigger power supply

That said, what game(s) are you planning on playing?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a PS4 and an Xbone...but everyone keeps preaching about the PC master race, and how it's not too expensive.  My old desktop is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I figured I'd try out some games on the PC.  I DO NOT want to spend a grand on it though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a PS4 and an Xbone...but everyone keeps preaching about the PC master race, and how it's not too expensive.  My old desktop is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I figured I'd try out some games on the PC.  I DO NOT want to spend a grand on it though.
View Quote

Okay, you need to decide two things:

1. What resolution will you be gaming at?
2. What games do you want to play?

You need to actually #2 and not just say, "Well I want to be able to play most games."  PC gaming != console untermensch

There will always be new games coming out and you have to draw a line in the sand and say, "these are the games I want to play and I accept that more advanced games will run like shit and possibly be unplayable."

A video card takes up a lot of a gaming PC budget.  My card was about $550 when I bought it.  You may do fine with a $200 card.

The rest of the computer isn't as important.  Avoid AMD because they're terrible.  Get an i5.  Excellent bang for the buck.  An SSD is mandatory for a new computer.  A decent PSU is important.  The PSU can make or break your system.  Do not ever use the throw-away PSU that is included in cheap bundles.  Buy a PSU with a model number you can google on jonnyguru.  No, you don't need a $200, 1000W monster, but that freebie 300W is suited for use as a doorstop at best.

The RAM isn't very important.  8gb will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It looks pretty awful to be honest.  "Starter gaming PC" is kind of a misnomer with that one, because with that processor, GPU and power supply, it really leaves you no room to upgrade without having to replace everything anyways.  

If you build it yourself, you'll know exactly what components are in there and generally get better quality components for your money.
View Quote

I've not built a PC in probably 15 years, nor have I followed the tech much.  I switched to consoles, it was just much cheaper to replace a console every 6-7 years or so.  I can build, I just don't know what's good these days.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
That one is weak if you want to gaming or do higher processing

Building is fun and you learn from it.

If you want a pre-built machine, this one is 2x the price, but more than 2x the machine.  Also has good ratings.

Acer Predator

Intel i7, 3x the Ram, better video card, 2x the drive space
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've not built a PC in probably 15 years, nor have I followed the tech much.  I switched to consoles, it was just much cheaper to replace a console every 6-7 years or so.  I can build, I just don't know what's good these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks pretty awful to be honest.  "Starter gaming PC" is kind of a misnomer with that one, because with that processor, GPU and power supply, it really leaves you no room to upgrade without having to replace everything anyways.  

If you build it yourself, you'll know exactly what components are in there and generally get better quality components for your money.

I build 2 this year after not following tech much.  It's pretty easy with a little research.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you want a pre-built machine, this one is 2x the price, but more than 2x the machine.  Also has good ratings.

Acer Predator

View Quote

i7 is good.
12GB RAM is overkill.  Nothing wrong with it (I have 16GB) but anything over 8GB is money that could be spent elsewhere.
No SSD?  Completely unacceptable.
Windows 8.1 is shit.  
The 760 is a decent card, but I'd buy a 970 today.  Better card and uses less power.

Overall, that machine is still meh.  For the 1K that machine costs, I could build a better gaming machine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Acer Predator

View Quote

I specifically stated...I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND 1000 DOLLARS.

ETA:  I bought a PS4 and an Xbone for quite a bit less than that.  All the PC guys were saying that a gaming computer is not that expensive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No, that's a shitty PC.  Video Card is very weak.  The CPU is junk.  The PSU is throw-away grade, I'm sure.  The HD is completely unacceptable.  The case is ugly, although that is subjective.  The OS is terrible, and that's a stone cold fact.

Do not buy.
Avoid AMD because they're terrible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Build your own.  

Do not buy.
Avoid AMD because they're terrible.

Stop giving bullshit advice.

OP - For a gaming machine this things needs at least double the RAM, it needs a better video card, and it needs a better power supply to feed that better video card.  The hard drive is fine but most people are using SSDs these days, though this is not necessary.  The CPU is fine for gaming and whatever else you'll need it for, but you'll have plenty of Intel fanboys and core-kiddies in this thread trying to convince you otherwise.  I'm not seeing what motherboard is in it and that is a concern.  It's probably a cheapie.

My recommendation would be to build something from scratch because buying that and replacing a handful of the components to make it a gamer is a waste and will probably cost you more in the long run.  The other problem with bundles like this is that they ALWAYS cheap out in several areas in order to give you a more appealing price.  You can build a pretty good budget gaming rig without resorting to cheap, unreliable, or poor quality components.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25857825
This a quick list I threw together that's below $800 and doesn't include a case or extra fans since there are a million choices out there and only you know what you want.  Several of those items have a promo code on their product page that you can use during check out to receive instant rebates on those items.  One of the items has a mail-in rebate promo on it.  This rig will run all your games, but that GTX 760 may suffer a little on some of the latest titles @ max settings and higher resolutions.  $1000 or less will not get you cutting edge performance, but that doesn't mean it'll perform poorly.  You can probably save a few more bucks by downgrading to another brand of AMD 990FX board, but that Sabertooth is where I personally draw the line on an AM3+ board...I'm currently running an Asus Crosshair.
If you're partial to Intel and/or SSDs, and you want to maintain a list of reputable components, then forget about that thousand dollar budget.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, how much do you want to spend, then go from there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will be close to 1k for something nice. If you build a crappy PC you are going to have a bad time. Just stick with the XBOX for now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Build your own.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i7 is good.
12GB RAM is overkill.  Nothing wrong with it (I have 16GB) but anything over 8GB is money that could be spent elsewhere.
Windows 8.1 is shit.  
The 760 is a decent card, but I'd buy a 970 today.  Better card and uses less power.

Overall, that machine is still meh.  For the 1K that machine costs, I could build a better gaming machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acer Predator

i7 is good.
Windows 8.1 is shit.  

You give really bad advice. Just stop.

Please explain how the i7 gives any real, actual benefit over the i5 for anything other than power user tasks like video work. In gaming it's negligible.

I wouldn't have an SSD-less computer but they certainly aren't "unacceptable". The best feature of an SSD is my computer turns on in 8 seconds. Given that I never turn it off it's not that big a deal.

Windows 8.1 is fine.

Telling someone who is going to be a casual user to buy a 970 at current prices is pants on head retarded. He'd be ahead of the game to buy a random $150-200 card from last gen and spend the rest on games. Do you realize how long components last nowadays? The computer I built (3 desktops ago ) with a crappy 4870 still plays everything available at least on medium settings at moderate resolution. My current 7950 still crushes everything, although if I were buying a higher end card at the moment I'd certainly go Nvidia.

Next you're going to tell us you play at dualscreen 4k res and preach about the nearly nonexistent benefits of SLI/Crossfire when most games can't even use it.

The need to constantly upgrade is long gone. Crysis still remains one of the great benchmarks for a 'good looking game" and that shit is ancient. When card manufacturers are playing games to tank other brand's cards in performance just to sell more shit, you know the market must be getting stagnant- see Crysis 2 and Nvidia playing games with practically hidden tesselation to beat out AMD cards.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Acer Predator

View Quote

Could build for much cheaper, the GPU in that set up is only $250.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acer Predator

Definitely can build a better one that is cheaper.  But not everyone is going to want to build.  Was offering a pre-built option also with some decent stats.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ETA:  I bought a PS4 and an Xbone for quite a bit less than that.  All the PC guys were saying that a gaming computer is not that expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acer Predator

Sorry OP, I didn't read all your replies.  

I also was not suggesting you spend $1000.  I was giving you an option of a prebuilt machine that had better stats that the one you posted for comparison, since it was a pre-built also.  

So generally a 400 pc is going to give you the about the same performance as a 400 console.  Alot of cheap builds I see posted here are OK, but not going to play the newest games on the highest settings, if that is what you want.  IMHO if you a super system you are going to pay more than 400-$500.    

Remember, alot of computer guys already have an OS laying around, so that takes off close to 70-$100 depending on what you buy.  Also, power cords, keyboards, mice, good mouse pad, all tend of be in abundance around a computer guy's house, these will add to your price especially if want any that are super responsive for gaming.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#28]
You should start with a good PSU, cheap case and your choice of low-mid end CPU/ motherboard / storage. Add about 8GB of ram and spend the rest on the best video card you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Every few months Maximum PC will have guides for builds at most budget levels Build Guide It could give you an idea of what to purchase and you can find millions of how-to tutorials/videos online for everything from building, over clocking, water cooling, etc. Tons of forums dedicated to this stuff. If you have a Microcenter near you, you could get all the parts there and they usually offer pretty decent bundle deals. With the new 970/980's coming out I'd imagine last gen 7XX cards to be on a sale/clearance. If you want to go AMD the 290/290X is a good card just tend to run a little hot in reference trim. You could also check on CL/eBay for someones build, Ive had good luck on CL before kids tend to off load when something else catches their attention, there builds are usually half-assed but there easy to talk down with cash in hand.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
DocBach has a thread in War Gaming with a lot of computer builds broke down by budget.

I don't know much about computers and I built one, It's pretty easy.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, since you are now gaming with consoles, I'm guessing you aren't shooting for higher than 1080 resolution, at 45 to 50 fps, with low video settings.  You can do that with integrated Intel graphics on an i5 proc.  If you are looking for more, that's a different story.  You also have to consider that a PC will do SO much more than a console.  Someone else posted a link to www.logicalincrements.com , that is a VERY good place to start when comparing what is what.  Also as stated in another post, we PC guys already have an OS, Mouse, Keyboard, which saves us $250 to $300 right from the start.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
DocBach has a thread in War Gaming with a lot of computer builds broke down by budget.

I don't know much about computers and I built one, It's pretty easy.

View Quote

That's an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Pay an extra $3k and get yourself a Digital Storm FTW!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do not buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build your own.  

Do not buy.

This guy is a perfect example of why you shouldn't rely on arfcom for PC related inquiries.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
They update this monthly, use it to find the good values for the money.

Best video cards for the money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top