Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/9/2014 7:53:21 PM EDT
Yes?  No?  Any factors that make a difference?

EDIT:  Just got back from court.  Speeding completely dropped and I plead guilty to a muffler violation.  No points.  $140 fine.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, guilt or innocence makes a difference.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I never create joinder.  Ever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on where you got it. Is it from a huge city? Wait for a court date and most likely the cop won't show up. That always worked in Dallas for me.

Smaller cities, get a ticket lawyer.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Plead guilty.  Judges have heard everything in the book.  If it's your first time, ask for driver improvement program so that you can get no points on your record.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
My son got one, 21 years old and was told you have to mail this in and plead guilty, or I, (the cop) would have to show up in court and say how fast he was really going.  Said he gave him a break on the speed.  I called BS.  He pleaded not guilty.  Would have been a 300 dollar fine.  He was speeding, but not what the cop said.  He ended up getting driver retraining which was 4 hours and had to do 2 hours of community service and it was dropped.  Imagine the difference if he just pleaded guilty.  Fine plus points plus increased insurance.  Always plead not guilty.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
No contest, I tend to be guilty.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on where you got it. Is it from a huge city? Wait for a court date and most likely the cop won't show up. That always worked in Dallas for me.

View Quote

Does not work in all states.

Never guilty. Get a lawyer, or you'll just look stupid, it's a racket, but so goes life, you might be able to get the same deal a lawyer could but it's a big might sometimes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My son got one, 21 years old and was told you have to mail this in and plead guilty, or I, (the cop) would have to show up in court and say how fast he was really going.  Said he gave him a break on the speed.  I called BS.  He pleaded not guilty.  Would have been a 300 dollar fine.  He was speeding, but not what the cop said.  He ended up getting driver retraining which was 4 hours and had to do 2 hours of community service and it was dropped.  Imagine the difference if he just pleaded guilty.  Fine plus points plus increased insurance.  Always plead not guilty.
View Quote

This lady cut me no slack, and wrote me for my exact speed.  Not that I was expecting a break.  I could tell she was new on the job.  Very timid and her, I assume, FTO also got out of the car for the stop.  Maybe I was her first speeder ever.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Medium sized town, I guess.  I'm not really familiar with it.  I was driving out of town.  State Trooper is who pulled me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Never plead guilty. Show up to court and you will most likely get a better deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
With our traffic judge, show up and plead "driving while black" and the citation will be dropped.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never plead guilty. Show up to court and you will most likely get a better deal.
View Quote

That's what I'm hoping for; the DA to just offer me to plead guilty to something lesser.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With our traffic judge, show up and plead "driving while black" and the citation will be dropped.
View Quote

Trooper was a black woman.  Asking her if she pulled me over because I was black, crossed my mind.  (I'm not black.)

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This lady cut me no slack, and wrote me for my exact speed.  Not that I was expecting a break.  I could tell she was new on the job.  Very timid and her, I assume, FTO also got out of the car for the stop.  Maybe I was her first speeder ever.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have said "I'm sorry I was speeding officer, but I have to get to the bathroom or I am going to shit myself!"

You know, like, in a real "strained" tone of voice like you are about to lose bowel control.

She probably would have cut you a break.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well silly me, I've always thought that a not guilty plea was for when you didn't do it and a guilty plea was for when you know you done fucked up.

Wow it's amazing how far we've come as a nation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was she good-looking?  Married?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well silly me, I've always thought that a not guilty plea was for when you didn't do it and a guilty plea was for when you know you done fucked up.

View Quote

It's a revenue game.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's a revenue game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a revenue game.

OK
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Always plead not guilty and take it to court.

Traffic cops gotta put kids through college, too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
This is long, but a pretty good watch.  One of the first things that he discusses is the scenario in the OP.

Q:  How fast were you going? A:  The speed limit!

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I just mail them a check with the ticket the next day since I do not want to waste my time in court. . .and I am guilty. . .I have never seen my rates go up.  Last speeding ticket was in a construction zone in 2012.  What is the big deal with getting a speeding ticket?  Serious question; it must be much more serious elsewhere than it is in my state.  Frankly, I do not even know if they issue "points" here. . .
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]

I've never had a speeding ticket.  Always drive at or below the speed limit.  This is by far the best way to prevent joinder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Just depends.

An officer can write down what he clocked you at...and what he issued the citation for.

Example: He gets you at 90 in a 65.  But he only writes the ticket for 72 in a 65.  But he can put on the ticket, that he had you at 90.

You can fight it...but the judge can decide to worsen the fine, since the officer "gave you a break".

So it can go both ways.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just mail them a check with the ticket the next day since I do not want to waste my time in court. . .and I am guilty. . .I have never seen my rates go up.  Last speeding ticket was in a construction zone in 2012.  What is the big deal with getting a speeding ticket?  Serious question; it must be much more serious elsewhere than it is in my state.  Frankly, I do not even know if they issue "points" here. . .
View Quote

Where the hell have you been?
It's about picking up that can man, it's all about the revenue man.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I never plead guilty.

It has worked in my favor the majority of the time. The times it didn't, it was no worse than if I had plead guilty.

Prosecutors and LE are not my friend. I will not give my enemy an easy win. I make them fight for every inch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#26]
that or deferred adjudication.

been driving 26 years now, and have zero tickets on my record.  beat one ticket due to an officer no-show, and have had a couple more deferred.  

people don't understand that it's a racket--they're betting that you won't want to take the time to show up.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
"failure to obey a traffic control device"

that's what I'll plead guilty to.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've never had a speeding ticket.  Always drive at or below the speed limit.  This is by far the best way to prevent joinder.
View Quote

Do you drive in the left lane too?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Around here I just go to court, plead "guilty" and 9 times out of 10 the judge will look and see that you have no record, strike the mover to a "civil forfeiture of funds", and ask for cash. I've done this several times, no points, no record, no insurance bump.

I'm a bit of a lead foot, so I just accept that I'm going to have to pay the idiot tax once a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Were you guilty?  Go to court, they will drop it to two points.  If it is already a two point violation, just go and pay it as there is not much need to go to court.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
From what I have heard NY will fuck you dry.

NH on the other hand likes making deals.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#32]
i always plead not guilty.
judge does whatever he wants.
i know the judge outside of the court and he still sticks it to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool Story Time:

The only time I ever got a ticket for running a red light was when I was following closely behind a semi-tractor trailer who was going through the intersection in front of me.

I saw the light was green until the moment that the top of his trailer blocked it from my view, but apparently, it went yellow then red in the few seconds I lost sight of the signal as I was following him (he was moving kind of slow as
we were in heavy traffic).

Next thing I know I see a motorcycle cop behind me, lighting me up, so I pull over.

He comes up to my window and says "Didn't you see that light was RED and a PEDESTRIAN had stepped into that crosswalk?!?"

I was, like, "Well, no."

I paid the fine.  Whatever.

This Cool Story brought to you by Bro, Inc.  (See my title line).
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#34]
A judge reduced a big speeding ticket down to a $15 driving without a horn (or some shit like that) ticket just because I was dressed halfway decent and wasn't there for stealing from people or possessing meth.

I drive 40,000 miles a year in my personal vehicle and I drive them fast, so I have to fight everything I get.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if the person in front of me is driving even slower.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I just mail the ticket back with a check or MO for the fine.  I know I was speeding, they know I was speeding. The time I would spend fighting it is more valuable to me than the fine. I've only had 2 tickets in 22 years of driving though.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That paradigm faded along with the ideas that the criminal law system was about crime and punishment. Around the same time that municipalities started using the law as a method to generate revenue instead of enforcing safety.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Wasn't worth it for me.

The difference in required fees for a court appearance versus simply paying the ticket was something like $10. Had I gone to court and had to pay the ticket anyway, it would have cost more - plus all of my time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Always go to the judge to ask for defensive driving or deferred adjudication. If the cop doesn't show up, profit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That paradigm faded along with the ideas that the criminal law system was about crime and punishment. Around the same time that municipalities started using the law as a method to generate revenue instead of enforcing safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This is my opinion on the issue of speeding.

If I was driving recklessly and unsafely, sure, ticket me.  But speeding alone isn't driving recklessly or unsafe.  And speed limits are unnecessarily low, IMO.

This is a good read:  http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/do-limits-matter

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be shocked what little of that "revenue" the PD gets.
So that's your justification for no integrity? Got it.
Guess you missed my

I tell anyone that asks. Go to court and talk to the judge. I can use the OT.
I have had a few citations in my days, only one I fought and it was because I was not guilty. Damn game wardens.
All others, I was guilty and I knew it. I paid the fine and forgot about it. It wasn't worth lying about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is long, but a pretty good watch.  One of the first things that he discusses is the scenario in the OP.

Q:  How fast were you going? A:  The speed limit!

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

View Quote

This video should be memorized by everyone here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really silly advice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just depends.

An officer can write down what he clocked you at...and what he issued the citation for.

Example: He gets you at 90 in a 65.  But he only writes the ticket for 72 in a 65.  But he can put on the ticket, that he had you at 90.

You can fight it...but the judge can decide to worsen the fine, since the officer "gave you a break".

So it can go both ways.  YMMV.
View Quote

So the "evidence" shows 72, yet the judge will just "believe" it was higher? Too bad it doesn't work the other way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Back in the day...if the cop issuing the citation was not in court..plead not guilty and you got expunged from the ticket. I haven't had one in years and but I know it's different now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's a revenue game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a revenue game.

Guess how I know you have no clue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Back in the day...if the cop issuing the citation was not in court..plead not guilty and you got expunged from the ticket. I haven't had one in years and but I know it's different now.
View Quote

Like I said before, I'm 99% sure she was very new to the job.  I doubt she'll miss a court date, personally.  She's probably still in the "I'm saving lives!" gung-ho mindset at this point in her career.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#48]
By the way. If you decide to fight a ticket in court the ticketing officer will be given overtime just for showing up.

There goes that stupid theory that if the cop doesn't show to your case you get off scott free.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Just go ask the prosecuting attorneys for a suspended imposition of sentence judgement.
That's generally all a lawyer does for people and I've never seen the PA deny anyone who has asked.
The court still gets their court fees, that's all they really care about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Well assuming you actually committed the violation, is there a reason not to take personal responsibility for the infraction?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top