Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2014 9:27:35 AM EDT
be stripped of his ability to make a living??

I have worked with several guys that have done far worse than punch their wife or GF.  Their  ability to earn a living was not taken from them.

NO, I DO NOT support what he did….. it's not OK.  I think he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and been jailed but he wasn't.

So, considering that there are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, etc. that have committed the same crime and their ability to earn a living was not taken from them, is it fair that Ray Rice has been stripped of his ability to earn a living at his chosen profession?

Is it a matter of "punishing the rich"?  Every talking head has been spouting " the rich NFL" and " the most successful league in history". What's that got to do with it?

If the government saw fit not to punish him in any meaningful way, should political correctness be used against him?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The Ravens released him. He was not kicked out of the NFL.

ETA: Yes, the NFL did suspend him, That happened after the original release that called him a free agent. Sorry

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Ray Rice deserves his own sub forum.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't the NFL suspend him indefinitely?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
He was kicked out indefinitely and has to apply to be reinstated.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they did.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
"On July 16, 2012, Rice agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens"

I think he's doing OK.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't get the frenzy over this.  How the fuck does everyone think she got knocked out in the first place, butterfly kisses???  When I saw him drag her out of the elevator SIX MONTHS AGO, I knew he hit her  There was no mystery.  HE ADMITTED IT AND WAS PUNISHED.  He admitted he was an asshole and needed help.  To me, it seemed genuine.  Has he done it since?  I haven't heard anything.  This subsequent bullshit is mob hysteria generated by Fuckbook and Twits and smacks of double jeopardy.  Ahhh, fuck this shit.  People are idiots.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, That happened after the ravens released him and said he was a free agent. The NFL release happened later and

i had not heard it
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Should people that worship "pro" sports be given a mental evaluation?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"On July 16, 2012, Rice agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens"

I think he's doing OK.

View Quote

That's not the point and he won't receive the bulk of that contract. You are falling into the "screw the rich bastard" crowd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#11]
PR, how does it work?  The ravens are a private organization that felt like he would be a bad representation of them, so they cut ties.  The nfl saw the backlash from the original two game suspension, and when this video came out knew it would be a nightmare if they didnt bring down the hammer.  So in short, a private organization decided it doesnt want to have ties with him.  No one is taking away his ability to make a living.  If he is football or bust, that is his own decision.  It is no different than when that CEO got fired for going through the chic filet drive through and harassing the employee. If you are a face of your employer, and you do somethin that will make them look bad for keeping you, they will get rid of you.  Nobody has a right to be unconditionally employed by the company of their choice unless they write the checks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That's not the point and he won't receive the bulk of that contract. You are falling into the "screw the rich bastard" crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

No, I'm falling into the "screw the abusive scumbag" crowd.  Regarding "the bulk of that contract", even if he only gets paid two years' worth, that's $14M.  Why would he have to worry about making a living with $14M in the bank?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I see boxing in his future.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, I'm falling into the "screw the abusive scumbag" crowd.  Regarding "the bulk of that contract", even if he only gets paid two years' worth, that's $14M.  Why would he have to worry about making a living with $14M in the bank?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

The money isn't the issue and should not be considered in the mix. The question is…… should he be stripped of his ability to make a living in his chosen profession?

Again, considering that their are men from all walks of life and in all professions that did not lose their  jobs over the same type situation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe the CFL is not so picky about woman beaters.

Jokes aside a year off is plenty good enough. After all the dumb-ass woman married him after he knocked her out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The money isn't the issue and should not be considered in the mix. The question is…… should he be stripped of his ability to make a living in his chosen profession?

Again, considering that their are men from all walks of life and in all professions that did not lose their  jobs over the same type situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

Once again, read my post above. He wasnt stripped of any right.  When you are high profile and you do something that makes your employer look bad they have the right to cut ties with you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure there are morality clauses attached to his contract.

He will be fine, and his knees will thank him in the future.

He's a thug that was lucky, and talented enough to make it big, but you can't take away that "thug" mentality.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Since the NFL doesn't buy them out of high school he has a college degree to fall back on right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#20]
It turns out the NFL has a COC too.

They didn't strip his ability to make a living. He willfully violated a condition of employment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Of course he deserves a right to make a living. He's free to do that elsewhere.

The NFL is a business. It has a right to employ whoever the fuck it wants to.

Ridgerunner posted this yesterday, and I like it a lot.

"Jobs belong to the employer, not the employee."
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I see boxing in his future.
View Quote

The WWE will take him in a heartbeat and watch the money flow
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
dbl post.  my bad
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

.  Why do you Care?     He can still get a job like anyone else.

I will never understand the Sport Hero Worship mentality.   It's the farthest thing from common sense that I can think of.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't get the frenzy over this.  How the fuck does everyone think she got knocked out in the first place, butterfly kisses???  When I saw him drag her out of the elevator SIX MONTHS AGO, I knew he hit her  There was no mystery.  HE ADMITTED IT AND WAS PUNISHED.  He admitted he was an asshole and needed help.  To me, it seemed genuine.  Has he done it since?  I haven't heard anything.  This subsequent bullshit is mob hysteria generated by Fuckbook and Twits and smacks of double jeopardy.  Ahhh, fuck this shit.  People are idiots.
View Quote

He will get a come back, a book deal, and a TV mini series out of it. You'll see where his mom was abused and he joined a gang because no father...,  it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think Ray Rice deserves his own sub forum.

View Quote

Indeed, there are already four or five threads about him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

In his chosen profession?       Riddle me this:  What exactly is "his chosen profession"

I choose to be a Pro Baller right now.  

There, I chose it.   Now, do I get to collect the paycheck, just because I chose it?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
be stripped of his ability to make a living??

I have worked with several guys that have done far worse than punch their wife or GF.  Their  ability to earn a living was not taken from them.

NO, I DO NOT support what he did….. it's not OK.  I think he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and been jailed but he wasn't.

So, considering that there are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, etc. that have committed the same crime and their ability to earn a living was not taken from them, is it fair that Ray Rice has been stripped of his ability to earn a living at his chosen profession?

Is it a matter of "punishing the rich"?  Every talking head has been spouting " the rich NFL" and " the most successful league in history". What's that got to do with it?

If the government saw fit not to punish him in any meaningful way, should political correctness be used against him?

View Quote
Assault of that magnitude can and should get a person jail time(years). Looks to me like he is getting off very ease, to ease. When one is a high profile person they seam to get off ease, when in fact they are the ones that should get maximum time right along with police officers that commit crimes.This should be done so all know that our justice system is fair and balanced.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#29]
He's an animal that has no business as a role model for our kids!!!!  What kind of man punches a woman in the head like that, especially under those circumstances?  Why shouldn't he pay a price for his actions?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He will get a come back, a book deal, and a TV mini series out of it. You'll see where his mom was abused and he joined a gang because no father...,  it will be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

Rice will be playing somewhere next year
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Wonder what is in those little tiny letters in that contract...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Of course he deserves a right to make a living. He's free to do that elsewhere.

The NFL is a business. It has a right to employ whoever the fuck it wants to.

Ridgerunner posted this yesterday, and I like it a lot.

"Jobs belong to the employer, not the employee."

View Quote
Saved me from typing...

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#33]
R rice can go get a job working for the city.
he can still go make a living
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#35]
There are more ways to make a living than the NFL, he can try working at a car wash next.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I will never understand the Sport Hero Worship mentality.   It's the farthest thing from common sense that I can think of.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

I only care from one standpoint….. should mass hysteria and political correctness cause a man to lose his job??

No Sport Hero Worship mentality here…… I said he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. How is that Sport Hero Worship mentality??  He should go to jail for what he did.

BUT the government did not prosecute him as they should have.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought his behavior was normal for people living in Baltimore?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

any remaining money her gets he will blow through in short order just like every other idiot athelete. expect to see him running a fry machine in 10 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure there are morality clauses attached to his contract.

He will be fine, and his knees will thank him in the future.

He's a thug that was lucky, and talented enough to make it big, but you can't take away that "thug" mentality.

any remaining money her gets he will blow through in short order just like every other idiot athelete. expect to see him running a fry machine in 10 years

Ex players most common form of income once they blow all of their money is to sue the nfl.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#40]
If the video hadn't surfaced he would be playing next weekend. The NFL knows the backlash outweighs any one player.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#41]
He hasn't been stripped of his ability to make a living.  There's always the CFL - just ask Flutie.

Lie to your employer, lose your job. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#42]
She married him the next day, right? I wonder what the wedding photos look like, because what he did looked more like a shove than a punch, followed up by the assist by the railing on the elevator. Ray Lewis killed a man, and Michael Vick is a convicted felon. Rice has not been convicted of any crimes, and the "victim" not only  refused to press charges, but married him the next day.

Rice's season is probably fucked for this year, but he shouldn't be banned, not when worse guys are forgiven, and then idolized.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#43]
That is one dysfunctional couple. She spitting on him, he hitting her, she "getting in his face" charging him; they're no strangers to violence. I seriously doubt it was the first time it happened.

To say that couple needs help is an understatement.

He is not being deprived of his livelihood. He is free to secure a career in a different field. He allegedly has a college education. He needs to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In his chosen profession?       Riddle me this:  What exactly is "his chosen profession"

There, I chose it.   Now, do I get to collect the paycheck, just because I chose it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's doing OK.

You obviously don't have the talent to be a "pro Baller" or you would be. That's the difference between you and Rice.  You might want to be a Doctor too but you don't seem to have the smarts for that either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Of course he is allowed to make a living!

Just not one that keeps him in the spotlight and admiration of children and young adults who would learn that its ok to beat the shit out of your SO as long as lots of people like you enough for the other stuff you do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It turns out the NFL has a COC too.

They didn't strip his ability to make a living. He willfully violated a condition of employment.
View Quote

I agree. 100%
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#47]
His wife could give a flying fuck why should anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
He signed the contract that has some sort of character clause.  If punching your wife doesn't violate that then I don't know what to say.  I will assert that many NFL peeps are in on a coverup and like in the Penn St. Story, need to get fired.  Any news guys that knew of the punching video and didn't report it, they need to be fired too.  However, I'm thinking the video inside the elevator only proves she didn't faint, pretty much everyone knew she got hit, so it's only shocking to those with no imagination or life experience.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I thought his behavior was normal for people living in Baltimore?
View Quote

it is. Suggs threw bleach in his baby mommas face.

Hands up, dont shoot?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

he has a degree from rutgers.... he should be fine.....
View Quote

Yeah I am sure he worked very hard for that , and will be extremely competent outside the football field

I can't find on google what it was

recreational studies ?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top