BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2014 7:30:32 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Oasis of the Seas has its own city park inside.  Even bigger.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Floating petri dish.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not see the allure of going to sea only to have all the amenities of a hotel, spa, shopping center, etc. Save yourself the money involved and stay on land.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm booked for the Allure next month.

If you've cruised a bunch, a ship like this becomes the destination.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, per wikipedia the keel laid date to maiden voyage was less than two years.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Ships are made for launching and recovering Aircraft or supporting that endeavor.  Anything else on the seas is pure folly.  Those cruise ships are run by amateurs, designed by motel operators, and visited by clueless idiots.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Sums up my feelings on ships:

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Oasis and Allure are sister ships in the same class with the same amenities.  Allure ended up being something like 6 inches longer than Oasis as well.  Having cruised on both I think I enjoyed Oasis slightly more although I wasn't able to participate in any activities other than drinking while on the Allure because of recent shoulder surgery and that may have skewed my impression.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been on over 75 cruises and the only one I didn't enjoy very much was the one we took on the Oasis.

The ship is simply too damn big and there was a lot of wasted exterior space.

The service was substandard and the food was cafeteria/ commissary style swill.

For me, the experience was like a cruise for those people who don't want to feel as if they are a cruise ship.

The Crown and Anchor Society Club was the nicest one I've  seen though, excellent drinks and good hors devours.

I've got a 21 day European/ trans Atlantic Cruise lined up for later this year on the Liberty of the Seas; it's huge, but still has the feel of a ship.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been on over 75 cruises....

....I've got a 21 day European/ trans Atlantic Cruise lined up for later this year on the Liberty of the Seas; it's huge, but still has the feel of a ship.
View Quote

Ah man, I am jelly. I have only six cruises under my belt but the wifey and I love it. Never been sick, never had rough seas and never have we had bad service or a bad time.

I laugh at my sister in law who plunked down 3.5k on a week stay at a beach house and still had to make their own food and clean up the place afterwards.

That 21 days sounds long though. We've heard the open Atlantic can be rough too. Not sure if I could handle that.

We are doing the med again next year. Can't wait!

I can see how that ship might be too big. We were on the NCL Jade last year out of Venice and it was big, almost too big. Not sure we even saw all the ship.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ships are made for launching and recovering Aircraft or supporting that endeavor.  Anything else on the seas is pure folly.  Those cruise ships are run by amateurs, designed by motel operators, and visited by clueless idiots.
View Quote

Lol, fuck commerce.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those cruise ships are run by amateurs
View Quote

The time spent at sea by the crew of a cruise ship far exceeds that of a naval aircraft carrier.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Floating petri dish.
View Quote

THIS.

Went on a really good cruise way back when on my honeymoon. Very cool.  But they kinda are big germ factories....
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been on two and I really enjoyed both.
A Royal Caribbean Week-long cruise hitting Grand Cayman, Belize, and Cozumel leaving out of Tampa on the Princess of the Seas.
And
A NCL 3 day Bahamas Cruise on the Norwegian Sky.

My parents just got back froma 14 day British Isles cruise and seemed to really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been on a cruise and yet that's the most ignorant fucking thing I've read about cruises in my entire life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
We've done 11. Love the Southern Caribbean and the fact we get to visit a different beach each day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Floating petri dish.
View Quote

And also, IN before the sea worms attack it and kill everybody!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#18]
might as well just rent a hotel room.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, per wikipedia the keel laid date to maiden voyage was less than two years.
View Quote

Private industry doesn't fuck around.

When they decide they want a ship, they want it quick.

It can't earn money if it's still being built.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

wow...when you herp...you really derp
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol, fuck commerce.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, fuck commerce.

I guarantee you that even the 3rd mate on those ships is a better mariner and ship driver than any CO in the entire US Navy.

Thump your chest all your want; specialization has its perks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#23]
floating trailer parks...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Precisely BECAUSE you have all the amenities of a hotel, spa, etc - but it moves from interesting location to interesting location.

To do that on land, you'd have to check out of your hotel, arrange your travel, and check into a new hotel, every day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not see the allure of going to sea only to have all the amenities of a hotel, spa, shopping center, etc. Save yourself the money involved and stay on land.

Precisely BECAUSE you have all the amenities of a hotel, spa, etc - but it moves from interesting location to interesting location.

To do that on land, you'd have to check out of your hotel, arrange your travel, and check into a new hotel, every day.

That sounds boring. I would much rather enjoy being at sea than be preoccupied with distractions of the land.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Don't worry, some bubblehead will be along shortly to give us the 'submarines and targets' mantra.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not much on cruises, but I would love to explore that ship just to appreciate the architecture and engineering.

Quoted:
View Quote

Take a good hard look at the motherfucking boat
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Those ships are essentially mobile all inclusive resorts.  Pretty sure I will be going on another cruise next year.  Just hard now with a large (and young) family - but fuck it, will do Disney next year if I have to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wasn't necessarily explaining why YOU should like it - just saying that's the "allure" to people that enjoy cruises.

My experience with cruise ships is that being at sea in a giant floating hotel is actually pretty boring, because you don't really have much of a sensation of "sailing" per se.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds boring. I would much rather enjoy being at sea than be preoccupied with distractions of the land.

I wasn't necessarily explaining why YOU should like it - just saying that's the "allure" to people that enjoy cruises.

My experience with cruise ships is that being at sea in a giant floating hotel is actually pretty boring, because you don't really have much of a sensation of "sailing" per se.

Ah. Thank you much for clarification offered.

I agree with you. If I am to go sailing, I want to feel like I'm sailing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can think of a few other things besides hotels and airports that just coincidentally happen to float.

339,000 tons of fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please tell us how you really feel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#34]
We've always enjoyed our Royal Caribbean cruises, but haven't travelled on any of the monster ships.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are the same and both have parks. Sister ships. I cruised both ships their first year out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I doubt it.

Carriers do underway replenishment and refueling ... cruise ships not so much. Show me a picture of the last cruise ship that did +100 days between port visits.

Paul
24 years US Navy - Carriers USS Midway, USS Carl Vinson, USS Abraham Lincoln
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The time spent at sea by the crew of a cruise ship far exceeds that of a naval aircraft carrier.

I doubt it.

Carriers do underway replenishment and refueling ... cruise ships not so much. Show me a picture of the last cruise ship that did +100 days between port visits.

Paul

You are a victim of your experience. Please to be talking with merchant mariners and how much time they spend at sea. They are not amatuers.

When your carrier is done with its overseas cruise, what does it do? What does a cruise ship do?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No please don't. The retardation in that post is enough.

Oh and we're planning and Allure/Oasis trip next spring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I went on Majesty of the Seas when I honeymooned with my first wife. It wasn't horrible except that I was awake for 36 hours straight and I couldn't get anything to eat or go to sleep until they did the fucking lifeboat drill. Like I would remember where the fuck I was supposed to go.

But yeah, my wife could touch each wall of the cabin with each foot because the room was so small, but it has it's advantages during your honeymoon.

Then you stay up late drinking and fucking only to find out your room is next to the anchor chain and they drop that fucker at 7am.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last cruise I took on the Crown Princess there was an announcement late at night "all crew stand by for air operations".

As it turned out, a passenger had become ill and needed to be airlifted to Guantanamo Bay.

I was amazed by the professionalism of the entire crew during the operation.

They cleared all of the passenger cabins from the top deck down to I believe, deck five due to worries that the helicopter might crash and burn when it landed.

Everything went smooth as silk it was an amazing display of competence.

As I later found out, although they had done drills for that contingency, none of the officers or crew had ever participated in an actual air operation, let alone one in the middle of the night.

Impressive really.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Imagine if some bad dudes sunk that thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You are a victim of your experience. Please to be talking with merchant mariners and how much time they spend at sea. They are not amatuers.

When your carrier is done with its overseas cruise, what does it do? What does a cruise ship do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.

Paul

Before this turns into Paul v the Teeners Royal Rumble...

Naval Officers (disclaimer: I am one) need to be trained to do a hundred different things on a ship, from leadership to weapons systems, to engineering plant maintenance, to navigation.  A ship CO is expected to know how to lead his crew in every task they face ahead of them.  It's an impressive resume, but with that breadth, there is a sacrifice of depth.  That's just the way it has to be.

Mariners (disclaimer: I am one) get to focus on one job.  They don't have a hundred teenagers they need to keep organized while they do everything.  They sail, and then they sail some more.

In a 24 year career, a naval officer, has spent 7-9 years at sea.  Figure 6-8 billets, 4-5 of those afloat, each with about 60% time spent at sea.  Ballpark figures here, some people more, some less, depending on what billets you get, if you're selected for afloat command, and so on.

A mariner is going to spend anywhere from 4 to 10 months a year at sea for the length of their career, depending entirely on how much they like working and how much money they want to make.  If you're OK with $40k/yr, then 24 years nets you about 9 years afloat.  If you want to make $100k/yr, you're talking closer to 18-20 years afloat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I doubt it.

Paul
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.

Paul

I spent 5 months on the above tanker and never set foot on dry land once. Crew of only 28        1090' long, 190 beam at the waterline and 72' draft.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#46]
anyone ever been on a cruise during a bad storm with rough waves?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I went on Majesty of the Seas when I honeymooned with my first wife. It wasn't horrible except that I was awake for 36 hours straight and I couldn't get anything to eat or go to sleep until they did the fucking lifeboat drill. Like I would remember where the fuck I was supposed to go.

But yeah, my wife could touch each wall of the cabin with each foot because the room was so small, but it has it's advantages during your honeymoon.

Then you stay up late drinking and fucking only to find out your room is next to the anchor chain and they drop that fucker at 7am.

View Quote

When I was younger My first cruise was kinda like that as we could only afford one of the cheaper rooms. Had alot of fun on the ship but the room was severely lacking.
Went on another one last summer and It is definitely a better experience when you can afford one of the nicer rooms with a balcony. Difference was like night and day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Those ships are essentially mobile all inclusive resorts.  Pretty sure I will be going on another cruise next year.  Just hard now with a large (and young) family - but fuck it, will do Disney next year if I have to.
View Quote

Mousehunter, there's a guy I work with that's been on several cruises including Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Disney and he said that Disney Cruises are where it's at and are the best cruises he's ever taken... and that his kids are off doing the Disney thing and leave him alone to do his thing like drink and party.

I've been on a Carnival cruise (before they caught fire and had Legionnaire's and Norovirus run rampant on 3 different vessels) and I've been on a Royal Caribbean cruise (before their ship caught fire and stranded off shore with people living in tents on the deck and pooping in bags in the hallway) and I can say that my RCL experience was 5 times better than my Carnival cruise experience... and the Carnival cruise was pretty damned good.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
anyone ever been on a cruise during a bad storm with rough waves?
View Quote

Sort of. I was on this training ship, which was originally built as a Passenger / cargo liner in a hurricane. It sucked. The ships are bigger now, have stabilization and better weather avoidance. I was on one of the smaller cruise ships once with my wife, going to the Bahamas. Nobody was in the dining room, I said to the waiter, you must be losing a lot of money on this cruise. He said no, we are sold out. They are all below seasick! Not much of a problem on the 1,000 footers

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top