[#1]
yup I warn
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes, but usually by the time the understand why I flashed my lights its usually too late.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Other.

I warn cops about speeders in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about everywhere else, but here in Washington it is a crime to warn other drivers about speed traps.  You can be fined if seen by another LEO.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know about everywhere else, but here in Washington it is a crime to warn other drivers about speed traps.  You can be fined if seen by another LEO.

- Nw -
View Quote

not fair!
you have first ammendment rights
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll warn them unless they're driving like a total dumbass. Last speed trap, that I saw, I let a loser in a cheesy rice-grinder blow through and get a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah dont do this with an unnoticed LEO behind you!
Dont ask me how I know.
View Quote

The trick is to apply your brakes, THEN flash your lights while still applying the brakes. The brake lights will conceal the fact that you are doing something with your headlights.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I voted "Other"...it depends on where I am.

If I'm in/near where I grew up? All the locals know where all the speedtraps are. Lately, the area's been infested with out-of-staters and yuppies from manhattan trying to get out of NYC and ruin my lovely woods. They don't know where the speedtraps are...but they'll learn the hard way, cause they whip around some crowded roads doin 50, caring not a whit about everyone else. It's because of jerk-offs like that that my town had to actually install it's first real traffic light. We're talking a several-hundred year old town here (One building was authenticated to 1779 or something like that). Anyway, end of rant about that.

But, if I'm elsewhere (major highway, travelling, etc), I'll warn an appropriate distance ahead of the cop, so they don't know. It's only polite.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#12]
It depends.  Most all of the time I will warn people, but if I see someone around town that I have seen speeding before, and I mean going way above the speed limit, I won't warn them.  This has actually happened a few times, usually young kids who need straigtening out, but supprisingly I've had a lot of people tailgate [i]really[/i]close and pass me on 30 mph neighborhood streets even though I was going right at the speed limit.  I let these impatient people get pinched as they usually are turning off a main four lane road and taking a parallel residential street with kids out playing to try to avoid traffic.  The town is on to this and has recently lowered the speed limit to 25 mph.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Always.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Anything to strangle the Beast from its taxes.  Always.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#15]
How do you know it's a "speed trap" and not an officer waiting for a possible DUI driver that is being followed by a cell phone caller?

Nice work if you warned him.

Or an officer setting up to try and spot a vehicle that was just stolen nearby, or a robbery suspect?

Nice work if you just warned him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you sure?

I stop in the same places to "intercept" problem drivers as I would to run radar.

Not to long ago, me and another officer were stopped on the side of the road, talking car-car because it was a DEAD night, when a car came over the hill at 80+.

I bet he thought he found a "speed trap".........

I stop in medians to use the cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you sure?

I stop in the same places to "intercept" problem drivers as I would to run radar.

Not to long ago, me and another officer were stopped on the side of the road, talking car-car because it was a DEAD night, when a car came over the hill at 80+.

I bet he thought he found a "speed trap".........

I stop in medians to use the cell phone.
View Quote

I am fairly certain that when three or four Highway Patrol cars have five or six speeders stopped and the lights are flashing that the cops and citizens aren't stopped to use their cell phones.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do you know it's a "speed trap" and not an officer waiting for a possible DUI driver that is being followed by a cell phone caller?

Nice work if you warned him.

Or an officer setting up to try and spot a vehicle that was just stolen nearby, or a robbery suspect?

Nice work if you just warned him.
View Quote

Tough shit, if y'all didn't spend so much time and effort on speed traps then it wouldn't be a problem for either of us.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought you were talking about stuff like sign language...[moon] [noclue] [pissed]

Yes I alway's warn unless they are liberals![nana]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn Skippy, I warn 'em.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Very few of us can actually drive and talk on a cell phone without being distracted![bannana]

Heck most people can't drive and listen to the radio without being distracted![soapbox]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

- Nw -
View Quote

DAMN THAT !!!

FUCKIN REVENUERS !!![pissed]

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very few of us can actually drive and talk on a cell phone without being distracted![bannana]

Heck most people can't drive and listen to the radio without being distracted![soapbox]

BigDozer66
View Quote

No, Nobody can drive and talk on a cell phone without being distracted. As soon as you divert your attention to ANYthing other than the task-at-hand (driving) then you're distracted.

Think of it like the traction circle; you've only got 100% of your attention available.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

I guess they had the same discussion when car first come out with radio....

not we can watch DVD, surf the web  in out car.

Do I warn others about speed trap?
when I'm on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#26]
In almost any car, flashing the high beam switch while the lights are off will flash the headlights without turning on the tail lights or parking lights.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, absolutely. I'm of the opinion that there should be no speed limits.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Highway 85?

I thought it said Speed Limit 85![bannana]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Warning other drivers is obstruction of Justice and will get you a nice fine in Houston and Texas highways.

Yes I am a high beam flashing fool with every one I see  [:)]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

No, Nobody can drive and talk on a cell phone without being distracted. As soon as you divert your attention to ANYthing other than the task-at-hand (driving) then you're distracted.

Think of it like the traction circle; you've only got 100% of your attention available.
View Quote

Yes some of us can![rolleyes]

Just because you can not does not mean it can not be done!

Some people have a multiple circuit brain and some have a one circuit brain.

Using your "logic" then NASCAR or Formula 1 driver's would not be able to drive at 180+ MPH or KPH and talk on their headset's at the same time![ROFL2]

You have been listening to Hitlary and Rosie to much![nono]

Big(YesICanDoIt!)Dozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yes, unless they are talking on a cel phone [}:)]
View Quote

Yeah, really. If they're on a cell phone, screw 'em!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Using your "logic" then NASCAR or Formula 1 driver's would not be able to drive at 180+ MPH or KPH and talk on their headset's at the same time![ROFL2]

Big(YesICanDoIt!)Dozer66
View Quote

1) Most drivers aren't any where near as skilled as pro-race drivers.
2) Most races invovle a set course, with all the cars going in that same direction.  There is no cross traffic.
3) The people on the headsets are within sight of the race driver, and talking about the race, not refinancing the mortgage, a complicated business deal, or anything else that requires more than 2% of your brain power.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I will be on Hwy. 59 north headed towards Houston tonight.

Consider yourselves warned.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#35]
ya gotta man.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#36]
If they've got a dog in the car, you bet yer ass I'm gonna warn them!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes I warn fellow Americans that they are about to be taxed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Is this true in the seattle area?

Never heard of it before.

Oz
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If they've got a dog in the car, you bet yer ass I'm gonna warn them!
View Quote

I'll take it a step further, I will turn around and blow through the trap at 200 mph. DO IT FOR THE PUPPIES!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is this true in the seattle area?

Never heard of it before.

Oz
View Quote

I believe so.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't care.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top