Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 3:04:38 AM EDT
has anyone here read the book about him, "Marine Sniper"? i was reading about him on a link from the Springfield Armory site. (i was thinking about buying an M1A but don't yet know which one.) anyway, pretty amazing guy. i'd never heard of him before. 93 confirmed kills in vietnam, with unofficial estimates as high as 300. one confirmed kill was with an M2 from 2,500 yards. apparently still the record for longest range confirmed kill ever. sounds like a good book to pick up...any of you guys know it?

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
apparently still the record for longest range confirmed kill ever. sounds like a good book to pick up...any of you guys know it?
View Quote

Sir, yes there are quite a few here that knew Carlos, and BTW he lost the long range confirmed kill record last year to a Canadian sniper who had a confirmed 1.5+ mile kill on a Taliban truck driver (see last years August and September issues of Soldier Of Fortune mag). He was a part of a multiple Canuk sniper teams providing support to our troops in Afganistan, there were several slated to be awarded US medals for their actions.

Mike

PS - FWIW the Canuks were using 50cal bolt rifles.

Added:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1370[/img]
Rest in Peace Gunny
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
We knew of Carlos and there were many people, some still with AR15.com, some no longer here, who donated money and support for the family of Carlos Hathcock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Another good read "With British Snipers To The Reich" by Captain C. Shore 1948

As for longest shot (prior to the Canadian) I thought was a Civil War shot with the Whitworth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
We Devil Dogs hold a very special place in our hearts for "White Feather".
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
He used to come to almost every 2d Mar Div sniper school graduation back in the 1986-89 time frame.  I usually had one or two guys graduating, so I got to hear him speak frequently.  He was a regular guy and very approachable.  I can't remember exactly what he said about his unofficial kills, but 300 sounds in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Marine Sniper is a great read!  I read it until the spine of the book came undone!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We Devil Dogs hold a very special place in our hearts for "White Feather".
View Quote

Indeed we do.

May God's grace shine on thee Gunny...

[usa]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh the havoc Gunny Hathcock could have wrought with a current generation .50!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh the havoc Gunny Hathcock could have wrought with a current generation .50!
View Quote

and an even better scope. imagine the (even worse)  damage!! (for the bad guys, that is.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I've read it several times -- Great Book!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Read the book...loved it.  Proud to know of the man, wish I could have met him a shake his hand as he is a true hero worthy of great gratitude (just as all who have served their country and laid everything on the line for it).
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#13]
the best american sniper ever
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The Canuck Sniper definately broke Carlos's Record..however Carlos' record shot still stands as being the longest shot on a confirmed kill in the 20th Century.

The Canuck did his shooting during the 21st Century.

And..not to forget! Billy Dixon made his record shot against an Indian (1500 yards?) during the 19th Century at Adobe Walls, TX.
I believe he used a Sharps Rifle chambered in 45-90..this shot was made with IRON sights.
Billy Dixon called it a "scratch" shot .. meaning he got lucky.
But earlier in the day he was noted to have made several kills out to around 800 yards.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Good book about a great marine. Read it a few times and heard of him plenty when I was in the corps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Good book about a great American. RIP Carlos Hathcock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]
As impressive as his exploits with a rifle were, I am more moved by his actions of throwing 6, count 'em, 6, men from a burning APC.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
agree...God bless you, gunny Hathcock...we are all diminished.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
For any of you younger guys who may not have heard of him or know who he was. Do yourself a favor and read the book and do some research on him. It is an incredible story and he was a true American Hero.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
has anyone here read the book about him, "Marine Sniper"?...

...sounds like a good book to pick up...any of you guys know it?

View Quote

Hmmm. Asking on a black rifle board if anyone has ever read "Marine Sniper"?

I have a suggestion for your next topic. "Has anyone here ever owned a Bushmaster?"[:O)]

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats some fine shooting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Another good read is "Silent Warrior" which is the sequel to "Marine Sniper" also written by Charles Henderson about other Vietnam stories of Carlos as well as Carlos' dying days and his funeral.

[USA]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks everyone. i really appreciate the feedback. i'm definitely going to check this book out. it's great learning about another fine American soldier deserving of praise and remembrance.

Quoted:
Hmmm. Asking on a black rifle board if anyone has ever read "Marine Sniper"? I have a suggestion for your next topic. "Has anyone here ever owned a Bushmaster?"

as for your sarcasm, sukebe, you'll note that i'm relatively new to the board, and new to the hobby of black rifles. so far everyone here has been tremendously supportive and informative, for which i'm very grateful. yours is the first really asinine comment i've run into. for the sake of other newbies joining a forum they righteously believe in, let me humbly suggest you get rid of that chip on your shoulder and ease off the superiority complex. then i'm sure we'll get along fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Since Henderson's second book has been mentioned, also pick up the Chandler Brother's "White Feather" which is a photo essay of Hathcock.  It deserves a place in your library.

Oh, on the Confederate Whitworth sharpshooters, Cleburne reports observing his sharpshooters knock a Yankee off his horse at 1,700 yards.  Not quite a mile.  Civil war sharpshooting is rather a difficult thing to confirm.  For instance, we really don't know who killed "Papa" Sedgwick who died at Spotsylvannia Court House.  Sedgwick was on foot and Ben Powell (per Berry Benson and Capt. Dunlop) reported shooting an officer off his horse.  Another claimant (Charles Grace of Georgia) is also disqualified for the same reason.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Not trying to start anything here but why does Carlos Hathcock get all the pub? I saw a show on the History Channel about snipers and apparently there's another Marine sniper with more confirmed kills than Hathcock. I'm not sure of his name it was "Tex" Dorsey or something he had 108 kills. They had an interview with him were he talked about killing 20 VC/NVA in one day.

I can't sseem to find anything on this guy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm. Asking on a black rifle board if anyone has ever read "Marine Sniper"? I have a suggestion for your next topic. "Has anyone here ever owned a Bushmaster?"

as for your sarcasm, sukebe, you'll note that i'm relatively new to the board, and new to the hobby of black rifles. so far everyone here has been tremendously supportive and informative, for which i'm very grateful. yours is the first really asinine comment i've run into. for the sake of other newbies joining a forum they righteously believe in, let me humbly suggest you get rid of that chip on your shoulder and ease off the superiority complex. then i'm sure we'll get along fine.
View Quote

I have an even better suggestion. Get yourself some thicker skin and a sense of humor or we probably won't get along at all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an even better suggestion. Get yourself some thicker skin and a sense of humor or we probably won't get along at all.
View Quote

Sukebe, when I saw his post I IM'd him telling him what a nice guy you are, and that you two would probably end up buddies once you got to know each other.  I'm not kidding.  I explained your sardonic wit and told him you didn't mean anything bad in your first post.  Was I correct?  [:)]
View Quote

Yes! You are correct sir!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not trying to start anything here but why does Carlos Hancock get all the pub? I saw a show on the History Channel about snipers and apparently there's another Marine sniper with more confirmed kills than Hancock. I'm not sure of his name it was "Tex" Dorsey or something he had 108 kills. They had an interview with him were he talked about killing 20 VC/NVA in one day.

I can't sseem to find anything on this guy.
View Quote

What publicity?  I can't find ANYTHING on a Marine sniper named Hancock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And..not to forget! Billy Dixon made his record shot against an Indian (1500 yards?) during the 19th Century at Adobe Walls, TX.
I believe he used a Sharps Rifle chambered in 45-90..this shot was made with IRON sights.
Billy Dixon called it a "scratch" shot .. meaning he got lucky.
But earlier in the day he was noted to have made several kills out to around 800 yards.
View Quote

and it was a borrowed rifle at that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What publicity?  I can't find ANYTHING on a Marine sniper named Hancock.
View Quote

Opps! My mistake I MEANT HATHCOCK. For some reason I keep calling him Hancock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#32]
It's been on my amazon wishlist for some time.  I have a long list of books to read....
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Sir:
Chuck Mawhinney, 103 confirmed kills in Viet Nam.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/History/chuck_mawhinney.htm

http://home.swipnet.se/longrange/ZAITSEV.htm

There is a rumor that a book may be in the works.

Regards

ACK

PS Another interesting book is "One Shot One Kill" by Charles Sasser/Craig Roberts.

Adrian Gilbert has a few good books.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#34]
C.MAWHINNEY,TRFANGLE[WHT FTHR]
DON'T FORGET  SMEDLY BUTLER  CHESTY PULLER
1STSGT JAQUES  SGTMAJ CRAWFORD
THE LIST OF OUTSTANDING MARINES GOES ON INFINUM
ALSO SOME BAD TEXAS TOWER
BUT HELL WE NEVER DIE
WE JUST REGROUP

FOR IF EVER YOU LOOK UPON HEAVENS STEETS
YOU'LL NOTICE THEM GUARDED
BY
UNITED STATES MARINES
OH DON'T FORGET TIPPIE
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sir:

Regards

ACK

PS Another interesting book is "One Shot One Kill" by Charles Sasser/Craig Roberts.

View Quote

Thats the guy! DAMN! I was WAY off on the name!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sir:

Regards

ACK

View Quote

ACK, thanks for the references. i just read that first link on Sniper's Paradise. pretty extraordinary guy. i was especially impressed by Mawhinney's objection of his platoon leader's idea of a "kill board" among snipers, which obviously made light of a very serious duty and endangered soldiers by encouraging wrecklessness. the story about the "one that got away" is amazing as well. i hope you're right about a forthcoming book.

i'll be sure to check out Sasser/Roberts. (our next amazon.com order is going to look scary.) my reading list for the next couple months is solid.

as to why Mawhinney hasn't gotten nearly as much publicity as Carlos Hathcock, i couldn't hazard a guess. with the possible publication of a book, perhaps he'll eventually get some recognition, though clearly he seems not to want any more attention to his war exploits.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't read that book.  I've never met him.  I never served in the USMC.  But here's my opinion.  You all talk to him like he's just a sniper who can reach out and touch someone afar.  He deserves much more respect than that.  He's a hero, someone that risked his own life to save lives of 7 US servicemen injured after mine explosion.  He sustained extensive burn (40% or so) on his body during that rescue.  Combined that with onset of multiple sclerosis ended his military career.  To me he's an American hero.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#38]
my brother usna '76 lived about 2 miles from sgt hathcock in virginia beach, va so i looked him up and said hello and thanked him for his service.  last time i saw hisson was at camp perry in 1998 where he was a captain in the marines and head of the marine teams competing

btw dixon's shot was 1760 yds measured, with 45/70 and he shot a horse sitting indian off the horse per precision shooting magazine from about 1997
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I stand corrected, the Whitworth shot was 1200 yards, however it was blackpowder out of a Whitworth 45 in 1864. A Confederate soldier made the "Shot Heard All Over Dixie". You can read aboout it here:

[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/southwick3.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#40]
sir_osis_of_thuliver

Sir:
If you enjoy "precision shooting" I would recommend a bolt action rifle with a decent scope.
I have an M1A, started as a loaded model, NM stainless steel barrel, unitized gas block, glass bedded stock. It has a Smith scope mount with a 3.5 x 14 Leopold scope. With Fed Match Ammo (and a good day for me) it will do 1" groups at 100 yards.
On the other hand my Remington .308 Varmint (1980 vintage) will do  <5/8 of an inch groups.
The M1A since it is gas operated recoils less but after a few rounds it warms up and the groups open up. The Remy takes a few rounds more.
With the AR15 use in highpower competition,  old "dino" M1A (used) are readily available.
Regards
ACK
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Gunny Hathcock was a truly great man, the book is well worth your time.  BTW, he was from Arkansas, proving that we can export some quality folks every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great board name

What do you like to drink?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#43]
HMMM....Am I destined to become THAT bored and jaded after 2500 posts?

[/quote]

I have a suggestion for your next topic. "Has anyone here ever owned a Bushmaster?"[:O)]

[/quote]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
sir_osis_of_thuliver

Sir:
If you enjoy "precision shooting" I would recommend a bolt action rifle with a decent scope.
I have an M1A, started as a loaded model, NM stainless steel barrel, unitized gas block, glass bedded stock. It has a Smith scope mount with a 3.5 x 14 Leopold scope. With Fed Match Ammo (and a good day for me) it will do 1" groups at 100 yards.
View Quote

ACK,
your M1A sounds like the EXACT rifle i'm looking for, and i mean to-a-tee. how long have you had it? it's obviously serving you well as a high-performance weapon. do you also use a bi-pod?

when i was a kid, i had a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with a nice Leupold scope. it was very precise, although not as precise as your grouping. i sobbed when our home was burglarized and my rifle stolen. my father replaced it with a Sako 30-06, but it, too, was eventually stolen in another burglary. (we lived in a rough part of Los Angeles at the time.)

someday (actually, probably later this year) i'm going to purchase the M1A, very likely in the same configuration as yours. i figure it'll run about $2,400 when it's all said and done. does that sound about right to you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Great board name

What do you like to drink?
View Quote

thanks. i guess just about anything with alcohol. but i really like champagne, gin, bordeaux, and port, in that order. (succession of drinks, not preference.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:04:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HMMM....Am I destined to become THAT bored and jaded after 2500 posts?

View Quote

View Quote
View Quote

[little kid voice]What's a Bushmaster?[/little kid voice] [0:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top