Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 3:56:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
As an RSO at an indoor range, I see lots of people that have NEVER fired any type of gun.  It is good though that they are there to learn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife had never fired a handgun until this past weekend.

ETA: Most of my co-workers have never fired any gun whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost everyone on my moms side of the family have never fired a gun.

I have been trying to take some of them to the range but  scheduling has been difficult.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't think of one right off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I own guns, my family members have all shot guns, at least a couple of times.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Arkansas?!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As an RSO at an indoor range, I see lots of people that have NEVER fired any type of gun.  It is good though that they are there to learn.
In Arkansas?!  

Ummmm...  

Arkansas is AR

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My sister.  She's deathly afraid of guns.  I have no idea why, there was guns in the house growing up as kids.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ummmm...  

Arkansas is AR

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Arkansas?!  

Ummmm...  

Arkansas is AR

It's okay. He's from New York and he's a Lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The office manager I hired at one of the gun shops has never fired a gun. She's getting interested now though. It's funny, she's pretty smart and picks up stuff quick. She can talk more intelligently about an AR than most of the customers. She went from working at a daycare and knowing nothing at all about guns to bring a pretty damn good gun store employee in 6 months.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup I do there going to come to the range with me soon too..
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Every single one of my relatives that never entered the Military Service or their spouses.

Don't even get into co-workers past and present.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I taught a college professor to shoot her .270 last fall.  She got her elk, she had never shot at age 35.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I can think of at least a dozen between my time in Colorado and Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother-in-law has never fired a gun before. Doesn't really bother me too much, since he does treat my sister very well. He is a Baptist minister, and says he wants to go shooting with me some day, but scheduling sucks. Funny thing about people including him, he can tell you all kind of sports facts, but can't seem to find time to practice a skill that might save his family someday, guess he is just counting on me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in Toronto, so I know tons (tonnes?) of people who have never seen a real gun, much less fired one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a six month old, he hasn't shot anything.
Other than that no one comes to mind. Probably some acquantence I say hi to in passing around work, maybe.
My wife on the other hand knows a bunch either confirmed haven't or most likely haven't. She attracts libs and antis like moths to a flame.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I work at a state university....soooooo.....yeah, I know a lot of people who have not only never fired a firearm, but also very likely never touched one.  Many of them would probably freak out and piss themselves if they saw one in person.  Strange people who fear an inanimate object as much as they do, yet believe themselves to be so intellectually superior.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two friends (brother and sister) who have never fired a gun and I have tried to get them to go out several times to teach them. They lived in florida most of their lives and their older sister is even the only female member of the HK shooting team....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I knew a few.  I took them to the range. I know some more, and I wouldn't stop them if they wanted to go, but I damn sure don't want to be there when they pull the trigger for the first time.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Many. Most of the work-study students have not.  Hell, most of the profs have not.

I do my part to educate the educated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Can't think of one right off the top of my head.
View Quote
Same.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A woman told me today she had never fired a gun. I was a little surprised as the small city she lives in is in a otherwise rural area. Hard to believe around there she was never at someone's cottage or farm when a .22 was brought out. She kind of sounded like she wanted one but just did not know where to start. I had to run though at the point to a meeting.

Another woman said her husband who is an older guy and I think a fairly serious hunter has no pistols. That's fairly common in Ny. Lots of guys kinda want a pistol but never bother with the bullshit of filling out the permit. Even people with permits rarely carry here in my experience.

View Quote

On a related note, I work with someone who doesn't have the need for a firearm in his house for defending his family because a guy down the street who was in the military has a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I've taken lots of my late wifes family shooting for the first time. A friend from my childhood visited a couple years ago. 70 years old and never shot a gun. I took
him shooting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The office manager I hired at one of the gun shops has never fired a gun. She's getting interested now though. It's funny, she's pretty smart and picks up stuff quick. She can talk more intelligently about an AR than most of the customers. She went from working at a daycare and knowing nothing at all about guns to bring a pretty damn good gun store employee in 6 months.
View Quote

That's impressive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#27]
It's safe to say more people in this country have never fired a gun than have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
One more thing, every person  I have ever taken shooting for their first time (I have a one round loaded only rule for their first shot) were apprehensive, but gave me giddy smile after their first shot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]
This
Quoted:
A lot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I know more people that haven't than have.

To them, guns are just "killing machines" with no purpose.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I never fired a gun until they put an M16 in my hands at boot camp.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I only know two, and wouldn't you know it, they are sisters.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#34]
In my neighborhood there are about 80 homes occupied year round. There are 120 NRA Range Safety Officers. I haven't met anny non shooters.At work even the guys from NY and Mass are at least hunters.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I live on Long Island in NY it's the norm not to own or have ever fired a gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#36]
about 4532 and they are on here right now..
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I live on Long Island in NY it's the norm not to own or have ever fired a gun.
View Quote

Ditto. I am sure I know more people who have never shot a gun than people who have.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I know several.
Unfortunately I know far far more that went out and bought a pistol for self protection, shot it once and only once, and now consider themselves "GTG".....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure I know a few middle aged to elderly women who have not shot a firearm, but I can't say I know they haven't.  I can think of about three guys who it wouldn't surprise me if they had never shot a gun.  I live in a rural area and every family has at least a .22 or a shotgun for vermin.  Growing up, most people who had any interest in hunting had a .22, a center-fire rifle, and a shotgun.  However,  pistols were uncommon.  CC had just been legalized, there was little crime, and you could always throw a shotgun or rifle behind the seat or in the gun-rack; pistols were an expensive toy for folks that could do all they needed w/ a shotgun and a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quite a few people on the admin side at my work either haven't shot much or not at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top