Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:43:49 PM EDT
on Gunbroker.

I hammering it out with some guy, and he waits till the last minute to bump the bid.

Successful or not it resets the clock...

That gives him enuff time to decide if he wants to spend some more of my money.  

Damn you I want to get some sleep...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to say screw it and bid what I want and go to sleep.
Sometimes I won sometimes not.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
From the seller's perspective, I love the 15m rule. If I'm selling a product in demand, it's that rule that lets the free market work it's magic.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I either just set a bid and not bid again, or only go for Buy it Now items.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Link the auction so we can watch the action.  Plus, the article might be under priced ...

View Quote

Lol

NO.

Then I will be bidding against everyone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
We are getting to the point were Im gonna drop out anyway.

But we could have been done an hour ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of gun is it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem with Gunbroker's system is it makes it way to easy for shill bidding. I can't stand bidding on anything on there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Im out.

Its his

I'm Out
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We are getting to the point were Im gonna drop out anyway.

But we could have been done an hour ago.
View Quote
Your keeping me up too...

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont mind the 15 minute rule so much as I mind the dipshits that let the clock run down to under a minute left and then they bid again, if I get outbid and I still want to spend more I bid at 14 minutes and I'm done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I put my max in and don't look back.....

If it's meant to be I'll get it..........
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I think if the bid doesn't beat the winning bid, it shouldn't reset the time. Put in your best, if you beat the current bid, they get 15min to think it over. If you don't, you lost your shot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Agreed, and the part I hate the most, it gives others a shot too.

One time, I was bidding on a rifle, it got bumped up like 2 hours from me and another guy, dude that never bid on it until 2 hours after it was supposed to end won it.

I sell about 500 times more than I buy, so I guess it works in my favor.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]

I made a few hundred extra selling a basic Stag upper during the panic.  It was like the slot machine just kept paying.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF
View Quote

Damn right, this is a quality firearm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. I think if the bid doesn't beat the winning bid, it shouldn't reset the time. Put in your best, if you beat the current bid, they get 15min to think it over. If you don't, you lost your shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Unless you beat my bid the clock shouldn't reset.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:10:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF
View Quote

Lol

Unless the python your buying doesn't have a letter in the SN then you are paying too much.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I put in what I am willing to pay, then go about my business until I get an e-mail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I put in what I am willing to pay, then go about my business until I get an e-mail.
View Quote

The problem is that the amount I'm willing to pay is determined by the amount of bourbon I have been drinking times by how bad I want it multiplied by how much of an ass bidder the other bidets are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]

For fuck's sake it's a damn AUCTION site.....You know, where people bid and shit.

I could give a fat rat's ass about a buyer's hurt feel-goods if the 15 min rule means more money in my pocket.  Don't like the rules then bid/buy elsewhere.

GunPorker's and the seller's job is to remove as much money out of the buyer's pocket as they can. Of course if the option is available you could pony-up and hit the BUY button and avoid all the misplaced butt-hurt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For fuck's sake it's a damn AUCTION site.....You know, where people bid and shit.

I could give a fat rat's ass about a buyer's hurt feel-goods if the 15 min rule means more money in my pocket.  Don't like the rules then bid/buy elsewhere.

GunPorker's and the seller's job is to remove as much money out of the buyer's pocket as they can. Of course if the option is available you could pony-up and hit the BUY button and avoid all the misplaced butt-hurt.
View Quote

Next time I'm at an live auction and they say "going once, going twice ". I will bid a lower amount than the current bid and I'm sure they will start the going going gone count again so I can decide if I want to raise my bid to the current bid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Next time I'm at an live auction and they say "going once, going twice ". I will bid a lower amount than the current bid and I'm sure they will start the going going gone count again so I can decide if I want to raise my bid to the current bid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?..... Good luck with that and make sure to start a equally juvenile butt-hurt thread about your experience.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I experienced that ONE TIME.  I do not like the rule.  Reminds me of the "every one gets a ribbon" BS.

I was the only bidder for the whole week on an old Savage .22. A few minutes before the end bidding kept getting bumped from about $200 to about $380 until it was within 52¢ of my max.  Next bid, over by $5 and the auction ended.

THE VERY NEXT AFTERNOON, seller contacts me & says "high bidder backed out, do you still want it for the highest bid price?"

Told 'em no & that it sure looked like he had a shill bidder account & wasn't interested in his unethical bullshit.  Same rifle went up the next day...no bidders the entire week.  Same rifle kept showing up for a couple more months...no bidders.

Happy ending though, found a better example for the price I wanted to pay.

These days, I bid once and only what I am willing to pay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#30]
The "15 minute rule" on Gunbroker is better than all the sniping on ebay.

In either venue, I just set my maximum bid and forget it. If someone bids more than me, they're a fool and they deserve it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I think ebay is way better but I have seen what was not doubt shill bidding on some items.
I was watching one item days before it ended and someone would bump it not by a dollar but by $50.
No doubt in my mind it was someone affiliated with the seller.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF

Daymn. I guess I'm glad I'm not a collector. I recently finally got a .44, S&W 629 Classic 6 1/2" barrel with a power port circa 1996, with some custom springs for $675.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't know you could under bid and it reset the 15min clock. Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I got in a goddamn war the other night for a SVT40 bayonet.

Prick wanted to play the last minute bid game.  He underestimated how much time and money I have.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

In either venue, I just set my maximum bid and forget it. If someone bids more than me, they're a fool and they deserve it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Daymn. I guess I'm glad I'm not a collector. I recently finally got a .44, S&W 629 Classic 6 1/2" barrel with a power port circa 1996, with some custom springs for $675.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW $1900

It's not a Python.

WTF

Yeah. Nice smith but not even in the same ballpark. But I'm glad everyone doesn't want it, I can only imagine what the prices would be like if we had a panic buy mentality start in the collector world.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you do. Now go forth and make much butthurt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I spent years perfecting my sniping technique on Ebay, and I hate the gunbroker shit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a 15 minute rule for my cat. She can only cross the threshold of a door once every 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are not really underbidding you are bidding above the posted price but under someone's higher bid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've been to a live auction where a jackass would voluntarily increment a bid $300 and more over the current call.  He was a pretty well known moron, but damn, that took it to a new level.  I told him the point is to buy at the lowest possible price during a break.  Damndest thing I've ever seen at an auction, but that was probably equaled by some of the other stupid shit I've seen him do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to a live auction where a jackass would voluntarily increment a bid $300 and more over the current call.  He was a pretty well known moron, but damn, that took it to a new level.  I told him the point is to buy at the lowest possible price during a break.  Damndest thing I've ever seen at an auction, but that was probably equaled by some of the other stupid shit I've seen him do.

I have done that.

After a couple of hours of bidding on classics that are going to be well north of 1K and we always start with "Can I get a hundred dollar bid?"  

Then you hit them with a close to retail opening bid and it sometimes stuns everyone enuff to get it. I got a low 4 digit python like that. I was the second bid and jumped it by a factor of 15 or more. It was lulz.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You are not really underbidding you are bidding above the posted price but under someone's higher bid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still BS. It's that way to help sellers shill bids. It serves no other purpose I can see.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Still BS. It's that way to help sellers shill bids. It serves no other purpose I can see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That why you have auto bid. Post your top paying price and forget about it. Reserves piss me off. Why play games? Post your lowest dollar amount.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That why you have auto bid. Post your top paying price and forget about it. Reserves piss me off. Why play games? Post your lowest dollar amount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I don't mind a reserve, but post it in the title or ad. Don't make me guess if I'm willing to pay what you want.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, sniping is the only way to get a good price and avoid bidding against the seller and his buddies running up the price.

I don't use Gunbroker because of the 15minute rule.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I put my max in and don't look back.....

If it's meant to be I'll get it..........
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the 15 minute rule if I am selling.  (Hate it as the buyer.)

If it is ebay, I only snipe.  Otherwise, you just give others an opportunity to make you spend more of your money than you would have.  Folks will argue and say, "Bid what you are willing to pay."  However, this does not take into consideration the human factor; We want to win.  Putting in your max bid with 4 days left gives the open mouth breathers the chance to bid, realize they didn't win, and think to themselves, "I want to be a winner, better bid more."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top