Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 3:10:15 PM EDT
 Is it legal to ship a handgun back to the manufacturer for repair without using an FFL? If so, how would you do it and through what shipper? I live in Florida.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do, make certain the address labels are 100% correct.

I work for UPS and just yesterday morning a handgun that was being shipped to a residential address got "tagged" to be held or returned to the shipper.

How'd they find out it was a handgun in the first place?    Bad address, went down for an address correction and upon inspection they found a 357Mag inside the box.

Don't know if it's a guy having his handgun returned from warranty repair, if it was a family member sending a gun to him from out of state, or maybe a cross state lines sale without FFL.

Sad thing, the Clerk who found it was under the impression that it is illegal to ship firearms through residential addresses and he thought all firearms had to go through dealers.   Though I do live in Ca. so there's a possibility of a Ca. reg. playing in along with UPS policy on firearms shipments.

If I were you, avoid UPS.   And if anyone has the links available listing the ATF guidelines on shipping firearms, it would be nice so that way the person asking can print those guidelines up and prove to whoever he's shipping through the regs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top