Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 7:32:35 AM EDT
with me to try and solve this problem, and we are not having any sucess! I have posted it on TechTV's site too. Still no luck. I would like to solve it with out wiping my HD clean. Pleassssss helppppp. I have posted Goatboy's e-mailings, so you know what we have tried.

GoatBoy wrote:
Try tools->options->advanced and check on settings for ActiveX, Java,
etc.

=)

See what those are set to...

Also check your security settings for INTERNET and put it on low or medium to test.

----- Original Message -----
To: "GoatBoy"
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [AR15.com] Membership Inquiry

No new Ideas?
GoatBoy wrote:
Dont reinstall XP... should be something in the settings we can find... we'll pick this up in the AM!
Make sure the firewall box is UNCHECKED like you had before!

=)

-- Juan

Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 10:59 PM

I am running XP. I just checked what you mentioned, and it was not checked so I checked it, then I went to ammoman.com and it still did not will not let me log in. If I re-installed XP do you think this would solve my problem? It does seem a bit drastic, but I buy things online and with this problem it will not let me!
Todd
GoatBoy wrote:
Do you have a personal firewall or anything?
What OS are you running? If you're running XP (not sure if it was in 2000, think not) check your network connection properties and see if the ADVANCED tab has the firewall option checked!

-- Juan

Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 8:59 PM

Because of this problem it will not let me down load any updates from MS.
When I try to download updates from MS, I get this message: Your
current
security settings prohibit running activeX controls on the page, as a result, the page may not display. I have tried to down load by turning of zone alarm and setting my security level in IE to it's lowest setting, but I get the same message.
Thanks
Todd
GoatBoy wrote: You have the latest version of your browser?
Make sure you have IE up to date. If it isn't it will autofix the problem with the update. If it is, then I will poke around and we'll figure it out. ;)

-- Juan
To: "GoatBoy" Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 1:47 P

This The page cannot be displayedThe page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
---------------------------------
Please try the following:
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The
settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover the, click Detect Network Settings Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the
Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security
settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet
Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0. Click the Back button to try another link
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
GoatBoy wrote:
What happens when you try to pull up a secure page?

Edited to clean it up a little.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#1]

gttt
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried this? From http://www.famous3d.com/web/Help/Installation.html

[b]Your current security settings prohibits running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly.[/b]

The "Download signed ActiveX control" setting in not enabled.
You can find this setting in Tools menu > Internet Options > Security.
Click on Internet icon on the upper left section of the window then click "Custom Level" button. Check Enable on "Download signed ActiveX control" then click "OK" to close the panel.

[b]An ActiveX control on this page is not safe. Your current security settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page. As a result, this page may not display as intended.[/b]

The ‘Running ActiveX control and plugin" setting in not enabled.
You can find this setting in Tools menu > Internet Options > Security.
Click on Internet icon on the upper left section of the window then click "Custom Level" button. Check Enable on "Running ActiveX control and plugin" then click "OK" to close the panel.

Edited to make link cold and to remove images to save BW since thread has been read. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Did not work. Here is the message I get when I try to download updates from MS. This [b]sucksss[/b]
Software Update Incomplete

The Windows Update software did not update successfully. Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:
You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to install, click Yes when presented with the Security Warning dialog box.
Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too high. To install the updated software and access Windows Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium or lower, and active scripting and the download and initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

Note These are the default settings for Internet Explorer. For more information about Internet Explorer security and instructions on how to change your security settings, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't read all that above, what I gather is you're trying to do a Windows Update and it's failing right?

This is XP Home or Pro?  If it's Pro, make sure you're an admin.  Start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts

You'll see your name and it should say "computer administrator" under it.

If you have Home, I don't know if that does the whole admin thing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The Microsoft download updates problem is common in Win2K in most cases. There is another way. The problem is in Internet Explorer, you'll have to reinstall it to fix the problem. Try uninstalling IE or go to [url=www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en]Microsoft Download Center[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
This started when I tried to order something from ammoman. My main problem is that I can't view secure pages. ie. I can't order anything on-line!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried e-mailing ammoman?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
No, but I just sent out some e-mail, and it appears to be working. I use secure pages for ordering things from other places as well, and to file tax returns. I do not think most of these site will take an e-mail for an order, nor do I want to send a C.C. number thru an e-mail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to school now. If anyone can think of anything, please post it and I will check the board sometime tonight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
No one has anymore Ideas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about computers but you cannot solve this problem until.

you've become part of the "in crowd" [;)]
View Quote

Thanks. I needed that. You know, you are probably on to some thing there. Well, I guess it's back to lurking for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to thoes who tried to help. I have fixed the problem with help from techtv.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#16]
And the problem was?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top