Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 8:28:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You are making the mistake of assuming that everything serves a purpose.  Rather, every living thing occupies a niche where it has the chance to be successful.  Fire ants are successful and that is their only "purpose."
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
They are useful in cleaning all of the meat off pig skulls.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Now while ants do perform scavenger duties which do provide some benefit......on the other hand, MOSQUITOS SERVE ABSOLUTLY NO PURPOSE IN LIFE EXCEPT LIVE OFF OF SOME OTHER BEING AND TO SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF IT'S HOST !!!!!
Kinda sounds like liberals huh.
Fall back and nuke them from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, it was just a simple mistake!

They got off the boat in Mobile, Alabama, some time in the 1930s and just decided to stay!

Talk about illegal aliens!

Now they range from Florida to Texas!

And all we've done is manage to kill off all of the predators who may have been able to control them!

Like horny toads! [:D]

Eric The(Natural)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
FireAnt Festival

That's right! It was a crazy celebration of that mean and pesky critter! The festival is held annually the second weekend in October, downtown on the square in historic Marshall, Texas.

This year, the mild autumn weather brought a huge crowd to downtown Marshall. The parade was filled with local color including many entries from ETBU student assosciations in celebration of the ETBU Homecoming Game to be held the afternoon of the Fire Ant Festival.

[img]http://marshall-chamber.com/images/SJ-Fire%20Ants.JPG[/img]

[img]http://marshall-chamber.com/images/narshallband.jpg[/img]

[img]http://marshall-chamber.com/images/fireantfiretruck.jpg[/img]

Mark your calendar to join us again in 2003 for the next FIRE ANT FESTIVAL!

[url]http://www.marshall-chamber.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.threeoaks-marshall.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not JUST pig skulls...
View Quote

Obviously, that was just one specific use for them. They work very well on human skulls also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now while ants do perform scavenger duties which do provide some benefit......on the other hand, MOSQUITOS SERVE ABSOLUTLY NO PURPOSE IN LIFE EXCEPT LIVE OFF OF SOME OTHER BEING AND TO SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF IT'S HOST !!!!!
View Quote

THAT Sir, is a topic all unto itself!! Have you guys that dont live in FL ever seen in person one of our lovely Tiger mosquitoes?? I will refrain from a rant on them, and their loverly little cousins, the Sand Gnat.
View Quote

I have'nt run into your tigers but the sand gnats I have. I have also spent time in Alaska, mosquitos there are basically the size of small birds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
When I lived in Columbia SC in the 80's I went in the back yard dressed only in a pair of loose shorts one fine Saturday morning. A fire ant climed up my leg and in my shorts and proceded to munch on the end of a very sensitive part. I ran inside and yanked the ant off and it has been war sence.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]
If there was a chemical or pesticide that would actually work on these critters, they would never have gotten out of the State of Alabama!

The EPA wasn't around to prevent all the really good and deadly chemicals from being used in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s!

So there were some hellacious chemicals that were used....but to no avail!

All they succeeded in doing was killing every other creature in the vicinity, with little if any effect on the fireant!

There is one natural enemy that can take on the fireant nicely!

The ordinary red ant, or harvester ant!

They can be seen 'grazing' on fireant mounds.

Only problem is - the same chemicals that have proven so ineffective on the fireant, have taken their toll on red and harvester ants!

Eric The(Naturalist)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh I dunno about that ETH. I used quite a few gallons of "Oklahoma Bug Killer" in 92 octane to get rid of the fire ant problem I had.
And most of them were "real" fire ants when I was done with them. [x]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are making the mistake of assuming that everything serves a purpose.  Rather, every living thing occupies a niche where it has the chance to be successful.  Fire ants are successful and that is their only "purpose."
View Quote

Well put!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

THAT Sir, is a topic all unto itself!! Have you guys that dont live in FL ever seen in person one of our lovely Tiger mosquitoes?? I will refrain from a rant on them, and their loverly little cousins, the Sand Gnat.
View Quote

I have'nt run into your tigers but the sand gnats I have. I have also spent time in Alaska, mosquitos there are basically the size of small birds.
View Quote

And swarm in clouds that blot out the sun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top