Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 8:27:59 AM EDT
Watching a movie on USA network right now about someone having dumped some Komodo Dragons onto a barrier island somewhere in the US.  Just for giggles and grins, if such a thing were discovered and they were getting a group together to go kill them, what weapons that you already own would you take?  For those that say they wouldn't volunteer, let's say they are offering $50,000 each for about 3 days work.

I think .223/5.56 would penetrate their skin, but I don't think it would be effective due to their weight and mass.  Not a slam on .223/5.56 as I have several and think they are more than effective against humans, but this is a different story.

I would take one of my M1 Garands in .30-06, of course (.308 in Garand is blashphemy), because I think the much heavier bullet weight would be more effective against something that big.  I don't own a .308 and think the .30-06 would be more effective in this case anyway.

As for a sidearm, either my Ruger P90, Sig P220, or USP45.  All are .45 ACP.  I would use FMJ +P in this case for penetration because I think JHP would not penetrate very well through their tough hide and would more or less flatten out near the surface.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
10/22 and a .38

That's All!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Remember, if they bite you and you get away, the pain/danger has just begun.

I'd use a flamethrower, so you can have something to eat immediately after killing them.

Tastes like chicken.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Remember, if they bite you and you get away, the pain/danger has just begun.

I'd use a flamethrower, so you can have something to eat immediately after killing them.

Tastes like chicken.

View Quote
Yeah, they pointed out the part about the saliva being full of germs and how you would get a severe infection.

Looks like ponyboy, with his choice of weapons, will be the one that tastes like chicken to the dragons.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Looks like ponyboy, with his choice of weapons, will be the one that tastes like chicken to the dragons.[:D]
View Quote

It's not my fault that you're not as good of a shot as I am. A .22LR in the ear of just about any living thing is deadly. The .38 is to blast buzzards with as they circle my camp due to all of the dead lizzards, as it would be too easy blowing them out of the sky with the 10/22, so I'd use the handgun to make it fair to the birds.

Besides, if I'm doing it for $50,000 the higher cost of centerfire rifle ammo would be cutting into the bottom line. Please don't hate me because I'm a better shot and businessman than you.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not my fault that you're not as good of a shot as I am. A .22LR in the ear of just about any living thing is deadly.
View Quote

[IMG]http://asiafoto.com/IKN0011N.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, umm shoot them in the ear.  Where is that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would take one of my M1 Garands in .30-06, of course (.308 in Garand is blashphemy), because I think the much heavier bullet weight would be more effective against something that big.  I don't own a .308 and think the .30-06 would be more effective in this case anyway.

View Quote

Isn't the .308 ballistically so similar to the 30.06 that the point is moot? IIRC, the .308 is just the 30.06 bullet set into a shorter, fatter case with a similar amount of powder. If this is true, then the .308 really is a 30.06, especially to the recipient/target.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted by Ponyboy
Quoted:
It's not my fault that you're not as good of a shot as I am. A .22LR in the ear of just about any living thing is deadly.
View Quote

[url]http://asiafoto.com/IKN0011N.jpg[/url]

Yeah, umm shoot them in the ear.  Where is that?
View Quote

[b]This isn't a very good pic, but it is right here[/b]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3775[/img]

[b]You can see it much better here[/b]
[img]http://www.sciam.com/media/inline/000EFE16-865C-1CD6-B4A8809EC588EEDF_arch3.jpg[/img]

[b]Please don't hate me because I'm a better shot, a better businessman and know more about animals than you.[/b]

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd buy a 12-gauge & take slugs, oh yeah I'd better buy a .454 Casull, too.  These are some badass mofo's.  Saw a special on them a couple of times,  think they would be right at home there in FL with the other reptiles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd buy a 12-gauge & take slugs, oh yeah I'd better buy a .454 Casull, too.  These are some badass mofo's.  Saw a special on them a couple of times,  think they would be right at home there in FL with the other reptiles.
View Quote

See above:

Just for giggles and grins, if such a thing were discovered and they were getting a group together to go kill them, what weapons that [b][red]you already own[/red][/b] would you take?
View Quote

Ponyboy, anyone ever tell you that you are full of crap? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, crap isn't usually the word they use, but yes, I hear that a lot. I haven't really figured out why, but I think it's because they hate me because they're jealous.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
i would prefer a 10 foot spear, a Khukuri and a 1911 for back up

;)
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
AR-10 Carbine in .308 & an AR-15 in .458 SOCOM.

Just to check out the effect of the 2 calibers on the beast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't the .308 ballistically so similar to the 30.06 that the point is moot? IIRC, the .308 is just the 30.06 bullet set into a shorter, fatter case with a similar amount of powder. If this is true, then the .308 really is a 30.06, especially to the recipient/target.
View Quote

I heard a rule  of thumb somewhere that said, loosely stated, that a 308 is a 30-06, only 200 fps slower.  I think the reason for the .308 in some of the high accuracy guns (sniper rifles?) (don't quote me on this, purely conjecture) is that the shorter case length makes the powder ignite in a far more consistent manner...in addition to the good choice of match bullets/ammo...  
FWIW, i load 37.6 gr in my .243 cases which is a .308 case only necked down and 47.5 in my 30-06 cases typically.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
full auto Thompson w/100rd drum mag.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, crap isn't usually the word they use, but yes, I hear that a lot. I haven't really figured out why, but I think it's because they hate me because they're jealous.

[;)]
View Quote
Oh, brother!  The BS is getting deep know.  I better go get my hip waders.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Sissies, all I need is a pointy stick. [;D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell, they're not *that* big.  A 5.56 is more than enough and likely overkill.  I'd say a 22Mag to the brain pan would more than do the trick...hell, a 22LR to the head would likely do them in rather nicely.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Marlin .45-70 guide gun and S&W .44 magnum mountain gun.

Kill just about anything on the planet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think .223/5.56 would penetrate their skin, but I don't think it would be effective due to their weight and mass.  Not a slam on .223/5.56 as I have several and think they are more than effective against humans, but this is a different story.
/quote]

.223 would work just fine. You'r talking about a big lizzard. Thin skin, light bones, no problem. Just put a bullet through the chest cavity and it would be all over in a few seconds.

A .223 is perfectly capable of killing a deer or a hog with a lung shot so a lizzard would not be any greater of a challange.

I don't think I would take a head shot on one of these critters though. Their brain is probably no bigger than a walnut and who knows where it is inside that head.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I would say this....

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadThumb.asp?iImageUnq=3373[/img]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The wussie way would be to stake out some carrion, set up a blind, then blast 'em with a .308.

The Real Men would go out looking for them, so as to even up the odds. The dragons seem to hunt mainly by ambush, and they're about 150 lbs and six feet long when fully grown. I'm thinking a semi-auto 12 guage, your lucky rotting ham around your neck, and a full anti-biotics series to fight the septis that will set in after a bite.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The wussie way would be to stake out some carrion, set up a blind, then blast 'em with a .308.

The Real Men would go out looking for them, so as to even up the odds. The dragons seem to hunt mainly by ambush, and they're about 150 lbs and six feet long when fully grown. I'm thinking a semi-auto 12 guage, your lucky rotting ham around your neck, and a full anti-biotics series to fight the septis that will set in after a bite.
View Quote

Insane in the membrane, got no brain, goin' insane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
for a small island with roving man eating Komodos running around id like a belt fed weapon in .308. yeah, many of you think .223 might work, but when your life is on the line might as well go with the sure thing, and i think in this situation its .308. so id use a MAG58 and 8 100 round belts. and id also like to have a 1911 in .45 as backup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Screw the gun, I'd just send in my girl to do a little kung-fu on their reptile asses.
[img]womens-pro-wrestling.com/images/50s_artc_67.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#25]
SKS = New Komodo Dragon boots, belt, jacket, and hat. I be pimpin Komodo style.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Man. I dig that warrior princess action!! Who is she?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]
According to my gun club, the only appropriate weapon for ANY occasion is a muzzle loader.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

See above:

Just for giggles and grins, if such a thing were discovered and they were getting a group together to go kill them, what weapons that [b][red]you already own[/red][/b] would you take?
View Quote

View Quote

I saw that when I posted, just chose to respond in my own way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
According to my gun club, the only appropriate weapon for ANY occasion is a muzzle loader.
View Quote

You got a bunch of 'sharpies' over there don't ya!

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
for a small island with roving man eating Komodos running around id like a belt fed weapon in .308. yeah, many of you think .223 might work, but when your life is on the line might as well go with the sure thing, and i think in this situation its .308. so id use a MAG58 and 8 100 round belts. and id also like to have a 1911 in .45 as backup.
View Quote

what weapons that [b][red]you already own[/red][/b] would you take?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See above:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Zis iss my thread.  You vill answer zee question zat iss asked![:D]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See above:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Zis iss my thread.  You vill answer zee question zat iss asked![:D]
View Quote

In that case, I will not be able to go on the hunt.  Besides, the last Komodo dragon I dealt with was beaten by my Family law attorney.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy, L1A1 and .357Mag wheelgun.  Just how fast do they move anyway?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top