Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 1:47:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll probably get criticized, but I think they did the right thing and folks should be grateful, though I wonder if the woman didn't know the suspect better than she let on.

I gotta wonder about the apt mgr, too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It does nothing to help the addicts on the board here further their cause of legalizing drugs, so they can sit at home stoned all day while collecting welfare from those of us who work...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Awwwww--I looooooove cops.  Love 'em.  Y'all happy now?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That because the cop haters can't find anything to piss and moan about.
View Quote

SGB

You hit the nail right on the head....When an LEO does something questionable, the anit's jump on the thread like a pack of wolves. If the thread involves LEO's doing good....all you hear is silence..
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the reason there is not more of a response is that there is nothing INTERESTING about what they did.  So they helped an informant move.  BFD.

Now if they actually would have saved a life or stopped a crime, that would have been a bit more interesting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...Now if they actually would have saved a life or stopped a crime, that would have been a bit more interesting.
View Quote

Uh, they had done that previously when they rescued the kid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Now if they actually would have saved a life or stopped a crime, that would have been a bit more interesting.
View Quote

Uh, they had done that previously when they rescued the kid.
View Quote

which, by the way, is why I loooooooove cops!  I'd give each and everyone of them a great big sloppy kiss and a hug...but I'd probably get maced.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
It isnt often i hear a story about officer compassion, and them actually protecting and serving much, so i say great job to those members of the police force who went above and beyond the call of their duty. I just wish there were more like them...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It isnt often i hear a story about officer compassion, and them actually protecting and serving much, so i say great job to those members of the police force who went above and beyond the call of their duty. I just wish there were more like them...
View Quote

Thats because almost every news story follows the "if it bleeds, it leads" idea.  Nobody wants to hear about the cop who pulled someone from a burning car after a crash or the cop who drives around in his POV after his shift is over to keep looking for a missing child he took a report on while on duty.

Point is about 99.9% of the cops are good people out to do their job and help in any way they can.  Unfortunately, when there is a bad shooting or an officer just doesn't care about his or her job the cop bashers jump all over it and suddenly all cops are bad and evil JBT's who want to take away your rights.  

Sounds similar to the tactics the media uses on gun owners doesn't it?  Highlight the bad and push the good under the rug.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That because the cop haters can't find anything to piss and moan about.
View Quote

Oh? How a bout this then? The cops were PAID to do it. Tax monies to be spent on policing were once again illegally and wrongly apprpriated to fund some feel good project. That speaks volumes about the government which does not understand its function, the department which violated the law it is supposed to uphold in order to do this, and the police officers who have no notion of altruism.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting that one would call this illegal to assist a good Samritan in their time of need.  As a Former Chief I can tell you that this sort of thing is exactly what the community policing philosophy is supposed to be paying for and that the Chief is well within his pervue to authorize pay.
View Quote

Misappropriation of public funds is illegal whether it is within the Chief's again illegal purview to do so or not. Community policing means POLICING, not feel good acts.The taxpayers are extorted enough simply to pay for many many unnecessary things, adding another isn't right no matter what you say. You can do all the good deeds you like, but don't expect me to pay for your charitable acts. Expecting others to pay for government charity is a DU value, not mine, but it is  apparently very much one of yours.  
BTW calling this lady an informant is really a misnomer by the press. What she did was simply call the police when she had reason to suspect a crime.
View Quote
That would make her an informer, she INFORMED the police.
She truly did a heroic thing by keeping the criminal and victim calm long enough for the cops to arrive.
View Quote

Heroic is a bit over the top. Perhaps a better phrase might be level headed. When I think hero, I think Sgt. A. York.
All I here is more DU anti noise.  But it is nice to see others appreciate a good deed.
View Quote

Again, I am a hard core capitalist with  strong anti-government, pro-individual beliefs. I am as anti DU as you can get. You on the other hand are pro-tax/pro-government extortion and in favor of spending those stolen monies in a fashion which is not within the letter of the law for feel good projects. That sir, which you profess, is a very DU stance to hold.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heroic is a bit over the top. Perhaps a better phrase might be level headed. When I think hero, I think Sgt. A. York.
View Quote

Do you think the 5 year old girl would think it heroic?

Quoted:

Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW calling this lady an informant is really a misnomer by the press. What she did was simply call the police when she had reason to suspect a crime.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote

That would make her an informer, she INFORMED the police
View Quote

Actually, its SGB who is correct here.  I had the same thought.  "Informant" is misleading, making her sound like she was a regular source.

Quoted:
Again, I am a hard core capitalist with strong anti-government, pro-individual beliefs. I am as anti DU as you can get. You on the other hand are pro-tax/pro-government extortion and in favor of spending those stolen monies in a fashion which is not within the letter of the law for feel good projects. That sir, which you profess, is a very DU stance to hold.
View Quote

Please cite the code section that was violated in using city funds to help this woman, or were you just having a tantrum?

If you feel that strongly about it, why don't you drive to Euclid, OH and discuss it with  the Chief? Don't hold back -- tell him how you really feel.  Oh, and make sure you have parking for 72 hours while you're under observation.

I don't hear any thing about riots in the area, so while you're entitled to your opinion on this, I believe you're tilting at windmills, here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Maine endorsed Skovira's request to enlist police as movers and authorized paying officers who signed up.
View Quote

I work for a struggling private taxpaying business, sure wish my boss would let me sign up for overtime to do charitable community service work.

She welcomed the help she received yesterday from the police, who were joined by several volunteers, including Councilman Christopher Gruber and the Rev. Tom Owens, pastor of the Living Waters Church of God.
View Quote

Volunteers? Sounds to me like they were scabs, cutting in on Union work.

Methinks they all should have been volunteers.

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually, a story like this kind of restores your faith in people. Here's a lady who did the right thing and got crapped on as a result. Then, the police step in and make things right for her. They didn't have to, but they did.
Doesn't go well with Cop bashing, but there it is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope they catch the landlord spying on a tenant or smoking crack and bust his ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top