Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 6:48:05 PM EDT
AR15.com has proven to be an unimaginably valuable source of information. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Here's a question I'm sure several members here can answer.

I have just started buying small parcels of land here and there, I've got a couple of quarter-acre lots in Arizona, looking at a 20 acre piece in Oregon. All desert stuff, just to have and to sit on.

What do you guys know about Sierra Blanca, in Hudspeth County, Texas? It's one county east of El Paso. I'd love to own some Texas land, and can pick up an acre near I-10 out in BFE for cheap. I hear it's like the one of the poorest counties in the state, but looks nice and isolated -- as I like it -- seems like it would make a nice SHTF place to hunker down. I've driven by there a couple of times years ago, and it was like being on the moon.

Any impressions from you Texans?

[edited to add that I hope "you Texans" doesn't come across wrong. My stepfather and sister are Texans -- I love the place!]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Only thing I remember about that area was shrub brush, misquete(sp?) trees and dirt. That's pretty much it. But I don't remember driving through that particular county/area.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, that is in the middle of nowhere.  It is a very poor area.  A couple of things to consider for your hunker down place:
It is right next to Ft. Bliss, White Sands Missle Range, and an AF base that is home to a F117 Wing
Mexico is within walking distance

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They're dumping treated sewage out there.  It's brought in on rail cars from the Northeast.  Of course during a SHTF scenario, the shit would stop err, flowing, I guess.  

There was just twenty acres in the paper near Santa Theresa, NM for $2500.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Try looking at www.texasescapes.com. or go to Google and look for Sierra Blanco, Texas. There is some very secluded areas in West Texas. Be sure and check water sources. It probably would be less expensive to hide out in Mexico, but you cannot have a gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look on a map to see where it is. I see why the land is so cheap. It's ok if you want to drive 100 miles to get to EL Paso from there.  It's about 500 miles to San Antonio, 600 miles to Fort Worth - Dallas area, 800 miles to Lousiana. No water unless you drill a well. In the summer It can get well over 100 Degrees. Remember you are a long way from a doctor if you get sick or injured.

You will find better places to buy land further East around San Antonio, or north -west around Lubbeck.

But also some people love living in that part of Texas it's up to you.

Bluedevil [devil]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I say not a thing wrong with buying land there, but I would look for a parcel that is north of I-10 by a considerable distance. It is very tough country, but you may find water if you look hard enough (in the mountainous areas). If I was looking for a place to hunker down, I would avoid areas like San Antonio like the plague! The more desolate, the better. There are more desolate areas than Sierra Blanca out towards Sanderson. That's where I would find a place, if I intended to stay in Texas.

The desert is your friend, you just hafta learn how to get along with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top