Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 9:44:32 AM EDT
It's debatable whether the studies that indicate that certain personality traits are at least in part dictated by birth order are accurate. But this is interesting anyway:

[u][b]Oldest child:[/b][/u]
Highest achievers; Highest IQ; Greatest educational success and fewest academic problems; Highest motivation and need for achievement; Overrepresented among college students, graduate students, college faculty, and other learned groups; Most affiliative under stress; Least conventional sexuality; Most affiliative.

[u][b]Middle child:[/b][/u]
Fewest "acting out" problems; Sociable; Greatest feeling of not belonging; Successful in team sports; Relates well to older and younger people; Competes in areas not attempted by oldest; Lowest need for intellectual achievement.

[u][b]Youngest child:[/b][/u]
Greatest over-representation of psychiatric disorders; Most likely to be an alcoholic (increases with family size); Empathetic; Characteristics of Oldest in anxiety and fear if five years younger than next oldest; Highest representation among writers (especially autobiographers and family historians); Over-represented in activities involving social interplay; Most popular.

[u][b]Single child:[/b][/u]
High need for achievement; Highest achievers (except for Oldest Child); Most likely to go to college; Most behavior problems; Lowest need for affiliation; Most need for affiliation under stress; Loners and lonely; Under-represented among psychiatric clients; Most likely to be referred for clinical; Act as Single children if 7 year difference.

Source: [url=http://www.encouragingleadership.com/Birth_Order.htm]Birth Order and Personality[/url]

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Eldest here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Second in line to the crown.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]

First of five.

Hmmm, least conventional sexuality.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm the youngest, if you don't count my two older siblings I never lived with, and my younger sister I never lived with, and I am a twin, so I am only younger by 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's debatable whether the studies that indicate that certain personality traits are at least in part dictated by birth order are accurate. But this is interesting anyway:

[u][b]Middle child:[/b][/u]
Fewest "acting out" problems; Sociable; Greatest feeling of not belonging; Successful in team sports; Relates well to older and younger people; Competes in areas not attempted by oldest; Lowest need for intellectual achievement.
View Quote

I'm a middle child, and can attest to some of this.

Have few 'acting out' problems, if any at all.  Sometimes have the not-belonging feeling, but it's more like loneliness.  Did well in team sports (soccer), but I now do an individual sport (fencing).  I relate well with older and younger people, and have friends on both ends.  Low need for intellectual achievement?  Yeah, I guess I don't have to prove anything with a big fancy degree.  I learn as I go, and learn pretty well.

Matthew, the middle child.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am the youngest of 5 kids, 4 girls and me.
the "chart" you posted does not describe my family.
(Other than being about 180 degrees off.)
The middle child is the biggest drama queen and trouble in the family, the oldest was/is a major
substance abuser and nutjob, I am the most sucessfull of the lot and the most stable with no
drug/alcohol or emotional problems..  [BD]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[u][b]Oldest child:[/b][/u] [red]THATS ME![/red]
Highest achievers [red]Not yet![/red]; Highest IQ [red]Can't disagree here [;)][/red]; Greatest educational success and fewest academic problems [red]I got mediocre grades and was always in trouble[/red]; Highest motivation and need for achievement [red]I'm Motivated to "achieve" a beer from the fridge[/red]; Overrepresented among college students , graduate students, college faculty, and other learned groups [red]I never noticed[/red]; Most affiliative under stress [red]What does this mean?  We like to form comittees to deal with our problems?[/red]; Least conventional sexuality [red]Huh?[/red]; Most affiliative.[red]Most people suck![/red]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Youngest of 3.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
First Born!
It's good to be the King!  [+]:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm...maybe this is backwards?  I am the youngest of two and I think I'm more like the first born and my sister is like the youngest.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Oldest of two boys.

Oldest child:
Highest achievers; Highest IQ; Greatest educational success and fewest academic problems; Highest motivation and need for achievement; Overrepresented among college students, graduate students, college faculty, and other learned groups; Most affiliative under stress; Least conventional sexuality; Most affiliative.
View Quote

Compared to my younger brother, we are are about equal in success in our two different professions and I am sure our IQs are quite similar.  I did not realize educational success and acted out quite a bit.  Never went to college.  Of the people I have met who were stressed, they were pussies and couldn't deal with it - I do not affiliate with them.  Hmmm - "Least conventional sexuality" - not sure what that means... It's only kinky the first time, I guess.

-934, never accurately represented in these types of surveys.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Middle but also a twin.  What the hell does that make me.  Oh wait, these are just a bunch of stupid psychological/sociological generalizations to make people either feel good about themselves or give them excuses for bad behavior.

Had enough of that crap in college.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
... Oldest of five boys
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Only one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Oldest of two.

MM419
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Best!

Oldest!

Only!

[bounce]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Top Dog.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats somewhat accurate.....

Oldest child:
Highest achievers; [red] I won't stop until I get what I want.[/red]

Highest IQ; [red] Most common sense. Yep.  I learn everything by playing around with it and figuring it out. [/red]

Greatest educational success and fewest academic problems;  

[red] No, That would be my Youngest sister.  I got decent grades, I didn't really try because trying to learn anything out of a book bore the crap out of me. It still does. [/red]

Highest motivation and need for achievement;
[red]see above[/red]

Overrepresented among college students, graduate students, college faculty, and other learned groups; [>:/]

Most affiliative under stress; [red]does this meen I am always stressed out?  "affiliative" isn't in the dictionary. [/red]

Least conventional sexuality; [red] I am not sure the meening of this. So here is how I will anser that..... No I ain't queer.  Yes I like to try kewl stuff with womenz[8D] [/red]

Most affiliative [red] I hate most people [/red]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
First of four!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Only child.

I hate the word "loner".  It sounds evil and foreboding.  I prefer "non-gregarious".
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Smack dab in the middle of 5.

First to graduate college in my family, that's on my mothers side and my fathers side.  I have 11 aunts and uncles that are my parents brothers and sisters, (not counting aunts and uncles by marrige to my mother and father's bothers and sisters) and close to 70 1st cousins.  1st to graduate college.

I like team sports but prefere indiviual sports, ei wrestling, chess, shooting sports (of course), down hill skiing (racing).

Had quite a few acting out problems.  I seemed to be the one that always got in the most trouble.

I'm kind of a loner and it don't really bother me.  My best freinds live in this house.  Right now it's a tie between my son and my wife.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
One and only
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
My parents were so pleased with the original product, they decided to discontinue production.

ONLY CHILD HERE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top