Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 3:25:30 PM EDT
Just wondering.

Over the holidays I cleaned and recorded 175 of them on to CDs, ripped them into MP3s, etc. Now I can listen to them on my 'puter while I"m on AR15.com [rolleyes]

Also working on the LPs but thats gonna take more time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got several boxes of 45's. Don't really know how many but its a lot. They are from the late 50s thru the 60s.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Still have every Led Zeppelin album on 12in and a darn near mint copy of the IMMIGRANT SONG on 45 [:D]...it's the only 45 Zep came out with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
33, 45 and 78's here.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I got about 100 45's, several hundred LP's, and even 20 or 30 78's. I haven't even hooked up the turntable since 1988. I have a really good turntable (AR brand, FWIW) with a Sure V15 type V cartridge. I only keep it around for stuff that won't get released on CD, but I haven't used it but a couple of times after installing the cartridge, and not at all in 15 years. Seems like a waste now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a really good turntable (AR brand, FWIW) with a Sure V15 type V cartridge. I only keep it around for stuff that won't get released on CD, but I haven't used it but a couple of times after installing the cartridge, and not at all in 15 years. Seems like a waste now.
View Quote

The AR is a classic, not being manufactured anymore, but the [url=www.shure.com]Shure[/url] V15 type V is still very much in production as we speak. There are a lot people still playing the old vinyl format, I saw an article in the L.A. Times that people are using an electronic gizmo to replicate the pops and ticks commonly found on vinyl for CDs(WTF!)

I too have a bunch of 45RPM vinyl LPs in both 7 & 12 inch formats that needs to be transferred to CD.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My LPs are clean because I kept them in their sleeves.

The 45s were just piled in a box and got filthy. I ended up dipping them into warm water up to the edge of the label, them scrubbing them with a toothbrush. That got most of the dust/crud/spilled beer/god-knows-what-else [:o] off them.

I have a decent turntable (Dual) but to get the authentic 60's sound I recorded them off an old Garrard turntable.

Some were pretty scratched up. I used to play guitar in a band and I must have played some of these a million times learning the songs. Still have the guitar (64 Fender Jazzmaster).

My friends are going to die when they hear this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure, I've got several, including Metallica's "One" and "Eye of the Beholder."

DrMark
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup.  I designed a shelf type thing to hold my records and CDs today.  Now I have to build it.  I have a Rega Planar 3 which is decent for the money...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Lesse....Van Halen "Dancing in the Streets", B-Side "The Full Bug".
Night Ranger "Seven Wishes".
Quiet Riot "Cum on Feel the Noize"
Ratt "Round and Round"!

Got some more in the bottom down here.  I remember buying these at Shopko for $1.50.  Rode my bicycle down there.

Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
How does one transfer the 45s to a cd.  Do you have to hook the turntable to the computer somehow???
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How does one transfer the 45s to a cd.  Do you have to hook the turntable to the computer somehow???
View Quote

I bought a 2 tray Audio CD burner from Koss, but many companies make them. They are an audio component with normal analog RCA type jack. You hook it up the same way you would a tape recorder to your receiver.

CDs make in this manner are formatted just like the ones you buy in the store. (Red book standard?)

Once you have that you can take that CD to your computer and convert it to other 'computer' formats, like WAV or MP3. MP3 is the most popular these days. Problem is not all players can play the MP3 format.

Its possible to record directly into your computer, but my computer is nowhere near my stereo and the Koss unit is very simple to operate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top