Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 12:30:47 AM EDT
I heard a loud "pop" a couple minutes ago, so I went to investigate, knowing the wiring in this house is older than hell; sure as shit, a damned short. So now the f*cking house is about to burn down. This is EXTREMELY inconvenient! Now, I gotta try and get as much out as I can, find a place to stay, and all the other BS. On the brighter side, though........at least it's a rental. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd come help but by the time I got there the place would probably be gone.  

Well, good luck!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope this isn't one of those "my house is burning down and I only had time to post this before the smoke inhallation got me" posts.... get out!!!! stay safe and hope everything works out.... keep us posted
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it actually burning, or was it just a short? Old wiring really does suck!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aww, that's a poor excuse for stopping your posting.  A little burning and smoke inhilation never hurt anyone - stick around. [:D]
View Quote

I thought thats why everyone bought gas masks.  So they could continue posting in a emergency such as this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:34:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aww, that's a poor excuse for stopping your posting.  A little burning and smoke inhilation never hurt anyone - stick around. [:D]
View Quote

I thought thats why everyone bought gas masks.  So they could continue posting in a emergency such as this.
View Quote

Dang I hope not, that will get you dead pretty quick!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
.=speechless
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's see if I understand this. Your house is on fire at this very moment, burning down . . .

and you are posting on the internet. WOW! GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Just put a new penny in the fuse block and go back to bed.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Im a firefighter, and I was under the inpression that the older Tube/Wire was much safer than the stuff we have now a days...It is individual wire's seperated by about 2-4 inches raised off the surface in individual ceramic posts?...I just would not want to be a mouse that reached from one wire over to the other..
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im a firefighter, and I was under the inpression that the older Tube/Wire was much safer than the stuff we have now a days...It is individual wire's seperated by about 2-4 inches raised off the surface in individual ceramic posts?...I just would not want to be a mouse that reached from one wire over to the other..
View Quote

In my experience older homes with the metal conduit this is safer, but without any type of insulation, you are looking for touble.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, the FD didn't waste any time getting here, and they just left. They got the fire out, but were forced to tear out about half the ceiling in one bedroom, some of the ceiling of my closet, and most of the wall between my room and the other. They tried hard as hell to minimize damage, but they had to get it out, and I just told 'em to do whatever they needed to do. Luckily, this room was a spare, and I only used it to store stuff in, so I didn't lose much. They all admired a chess set I had (with Roman figurines for the pieces-this thing cost my mother $500 20 years ago), so I let 'em take it with 'em back to the station. Today I'll have to go tell the POS landlord that the wiring I told him about 3 years ago (that he would never send anybody out to fix) almost cost him a house. As it is, if he decides to repair it, I figure it'll cost him at ;least $5000 or so. The Chief told me that I had maybe 10 more minutes before the whole house would have been involved, and that if I'd been asleep, chances are they'd have been calling the coroner, which I can believe, because I'm a fairly heavy sleeper. Oh, well; I was planning on moving anyway.

Edit: Thanks to the West-View/Fairforest Fire Dept, I still have somewhere to sleep until I can find another place. Many thanks, fellas, and be safe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, you read correctly; They really liked it, and it was a chance to show my appreciation.

Little do they know that it ain't over........

Over the course of 3 days (since they work 24-on, 48-off), they'll be getting a mysterious influx of free pizza.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear you're O.K. and your loss was minimal.

Hell of a way to start out the year, hope the rest of it goes better for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you're O.K. and your loss was minimal.

Hell of a way to start out the year, hope the rest of it goes better for you.
View Quote

Hope everything works out with the landlord.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... if I'd been asleep, chances are they'd have been calling the coroner, ...
View Quote

If you haven’t done so already, this would a good time to get a fire detector!!

Take it with you when you move.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you have renter's insurance? If not, get some; it doesn't cost that much. For anyone renting, it is well worth the cost, because for he most part, a landlord's policy does NOT cover the tenant's personal possessions. I was a landlord for 7+ years, so I know...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Dang I hope not, that will get you dead pretty quick!
View Quote

Nah - you worry too much.  Fire shmire.
View Quote

Just to be clear, the danger is from carbon monoxide, the mask won't save you from that.  Other than that, who's afraid of a little fire..... [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#22]
You wasted a house fire typing on the internet?  At least it was ARFCOM but still, you should have busted out the Johnsonville Franks and enjoyed your very expensive BBQ![8d]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Chief told me that I had maybe 10 more minutes before the whole house would have been involved, and that if I'd been asleep, chances are they'd have been calling the coroner, which I can believe, because I'm a fairly heavy sleeper. Oh, well; I was planning on moving anyway.
View Quote

[b]I read AR15.COM saves lives![/b]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought that this was going to be a flaming backpack story. [;D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, post some PICTURES already!

[pyro]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Zardoz: a man wearing a loincloth and weilding a Webley. Now posting in a burning house. Cool.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
AR15.COM saves lives
View Quote
Yep; had I not been awake cruising the boards, it could have been a hell of a lot worse!
I thought that this was going to be a flaming backpack story
View Quote
Nope; my BOB was the first thing I removed from the house, along with weapons and ammo. (camping gear stays in the truck)
Well, ya asked for 'em, so here they are:
This is a view through my closet's new rear window.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3464[/img]And here's the culprit: notice the bare wires (the insulation had NOT been burned through) from one of the landlord's "repairs" sometime in the past.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3465[/img] As you can see, the structural damage isn't really all that bad, but I now have exactly 1 functioning power outlet, and 2 functioning lights. When I told the landlord about it, all he said was that I need to get him a copy of the FD's report for HIS insurance claim. *Buzzer* Sorry, but you are a No-Go at this station, bubba. Hell, they haven't even come by to look at the house.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
My Uncle had a storage shed that he "wired up" one afternoon. It caught fire due to him not installing the wiring correctly.
The fire department came and put the fire out, found the cause of the fire and charged my Uncle for their services.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Electrical work is no hobby. Call an lisenced Electrician.

Dave R
IBEW LU#915.

I've seen allot worse. I rewired an apartment building once that was botched by the landlord. What a fire trap. He was sticking pennies in behind breakers to help make connections. Overloaded circuits and the like. Too small a wire on to large a breaker. That's asking for a fire.
Make sure he has it redone right. Call the city and have an inspector come out. He may raise your rent but don't live in an unsafe house. That one probably isnt the only scary one in the house.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
You still have knob and tube?  If that doesn't get replaced now that there has been a problem, I would seriously not stick around there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top