Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 11:19:21 PM EDT
Why don't we get together and have a gun buy back?

Why should the jackass cops get all the goodies all they will do with it smash it,we should buy a buch of $5 gift cards to Wal-Mart or something and trade them for as many guns as we can.

We really should do our part to keep all the  bad guns off the streets we can.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in if someone come's up with a plan on how to *legally* organize it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The thing about a buy back is that you have to indiscriminately accept any guns.  Otherwise, how are you any different than a run-of-the-mill gun dealer?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The thing about a buy back is that you have to indiscriminately accept any guns.  Otherwise, how are you any different than a run-of-the-mill gun dealer?
View Quote

If you are only giving $5 gift certificates, I think that you make out in the long run no matter what gun's you get. Like I said if we can do it legally I am in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
This is probably legally questionable, but I can justify it in my mind... I'm all for it. Wouldn't you have to know a gun was stolen to be held criminally responsible for owning it, or can they get you even if you have no knowledge...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is probably legally questionable, but I can justify it in my mind... I'm all for it. Wouldn't you have to know a gun was stolen to be held criminally responsible for owning it, or can they get you even if you have no knowledge...
View Quote

I would think that you could do some sort of lien program on the stolen guns. Where the rightful owner would have to buy it back from you. That is if you were able to set this up legally...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if this would actually be legal to do? I don't really see where it is any different than a private purchase...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Purchasing stolen property is a big no no. just the possesion of stolen property makes you a criminal. Who is going to sell thier guns for 5 bucks??  I would think there had to be an incentive like 100 bucks each. The 10% of nice guns you will get wont cover the costs of all the crap you'll have to buy. I heard peaple were buying 25 cal at pawn shops for 30 bucks to make profits at the gun buy backs.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in if someone come's up with a plan on how to *legally* organize it!
View Quote

... Conduct it in the free State of Arizona
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]
get a grocery store involved. offer a 50 gift card to the store to buy food,and have the buy back around the 20th of the month.you probaly could get alot of guns around that time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It would not be legally questionable if we did not resale the guns.
Each of us would likely only buy two of three each and the ATF has a hot line for stolen guns.
All you have to do is punch in the SN and it will tell you if they are stolen or not.

The down side is we would fight like hell over he one or two M1s that would show up and there will be lots of Hi points and Jennings to go-round.

But even that is not a bad thing,I have from time to time got an old handgun for cheap just to trade(give) to a dealer so I could have my new gun the same day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think that you could do some sort of lien program on the stolen guns. Where the rightful owner would have to buy it back from you. That is if you were able to set this up legally...
View Quote

Might I suggest that a pawn broker with FFL should be able to handle this sort of thing.  They, as I understand, have to deal with stolen goods identification and processing on a regular basis.  If I remember hearing correctly, a pawn broker will have to keep pawned items in storage until a stolen property report comes in or a certain amount of time passes.

(Note that I'm not, nor have ever been, nor have ever had business dealings with, a pawn broker, so please chime in with corrections to my third-hand info here!)

So, the way this could work out is, that the pawn/FFL guy sells 'shares' to interested purchasers.  Each 'share' is the cost of one buy-back coupon to the public.  When the firearms are collected, checked, and cleared, then people can turn their 'shares' back in, to get first crack at the collected items, at a cost well below market value.  This way, the pawn/FFL guy gets his own costs covered (no financial risk in exchange for his experience in handling these sorts of things), and each shareholder gets a chance to expand their collection at small financial risk.

Just a thought...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top