Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2003 4:25:24 PM EDT
"Good God!  What is this idiot comparing?!"

...is probably just what is going through your mind right now.  Let me explain.

When I go shooting handguns, my Kimber is my favorite to shoot.  It just seems right.  Accurate, reliable, comfortable.  I love it.  Well, in the past few days I have been doing a little window shopping here and on various other boards...checking out the high end semi-custom 1911's.  Wilson, Valtro, Kimber Gold...yada yada yada...then Les Baer.  The Les Baer's seem to be a paticular favorite...with the TRS or Premier II the most popular.

Just how good are they?  I like my Kimber well enough...and have not even handled any of the semi-customs out there...no less the venerable Les Baer.  By just handling one am I going to start drooling?  I understand that they are custom fitted to very tight tolerances...with the Les Baer's requring about 1000 rnds to break them in and really get going.

So, tell me.  Are they really that golly-gee good?

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never owned a Les Baer, but I have heard many many reports of horrible customer service about them.  If you want a higher-dollar 1911, the Wilson is probably the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have held them & dry fired Baer's. Their owners say they're the end-all, be-all of 1911s.

I believe them. I've shot Wilson's & Kimbers, none even approach the fine quality of the Baer.

IIRC, Baer gives the best accuracy guarantee of any mfgr.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard people say the Les Baer TRS is the best deal there is in custom 1911s. Unlike Wilson, Baer makes their own frames and slides and does not use MIM parts (Kimber). If I was in the market for a 1911 in the $1500 range, the TRS would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Get an STI Trojan. Without a doubt the best 1911 buy under $1000. Fit and finish better than a Kimber, performance as good as anything and you'd be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere for anything.

[url]http://www.stiguns.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top