Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 12:39:35 PM EDT
Ok arfcom. Here's the deal. Our current dog, Molly, is a 10 year old cattle dog/GSD/who knows what else mix. At 10 she is not young but certainly not ancient yet. She is slowing down though. Our kids are 5 and 7. For the last year or so I have been ready to add a puppy to the mix. My husband is happy with just our current dog. His list goes like this: He does not like the idea of dog poop x 2 dogs and more dog hair. He also doesn't want a huge dog. He only wants a female. He recognizes that I really want another dog and is willing to consider it but says that I have to be ok with the fact that he is lukewarm over this idea. If I get a second dog he has negotiated a new rifle with full optics and another set of optics for the last gun he bought.

That said,  I have ALWAYS wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog (BMD).The cost is hard to swallow and we have always had pound or rescue dogs which is why we haven't had one yet. For the last year or so I have been keeping an eye out online and have been in touch with our local chapter of the BMD club. I got a call today that they have one in my area that was just evaluated as a rescue. She is 3 years old, female obviously, and on the smaller side for a BMD. She has been living on a horse farm and unfortunately killed some of the chickens so the farmer got in touch with the BMD club to surrender her. They have had two trainers out to evaluate the dog on a few different occasions and in different settings. The trainers absolutely love this dog. She is fine with other dogs and kids. She has no food aggression issues. They think that for a BMD she has a higher chase drive, hence the killed chickens. They think she would be awesome at any type of agility or obedience trials.  At this time I am first on the list if I want her. They are going to call me tonight and we are going to set up a play date this week to meet and see how things go. If it is a go then hubby has said he is ok with this. Again, not in love with it, but willing to do it.

This is where I need arfcom help. In order to help him warm up I was trying to think of a positive gun related new name for her. So far the best I can do is:

Rimfire-called Rimi
Remington-called Remi
Winchester-called Winnie

Are there any other good gun related female dog names? Help me out here arfcom!

TL:DR- possibly getting a second dog. Hubby isn't in love with the idea so I need gun names for the dog to help warm him up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Black rain ordnance called blackie
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I'd do, considering you have the $$$ for this.

A relationship is give/take.  

He's pretty much stated he's willing to go down your path given a reciprocal on your part.  If you can part with the $$$, I am sure that if he's a dog person (I imagine he is), that he will love that puppy once it's home.  The cost of the rifle and optics would have been borne anyhow, he just gets a definitive answer on it now.

You win, he wins.  You both love the new puppy.

If I were you, I'd get a LaRue OBR, ACOG, and the latest EOTech.  He'd love you forever for that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a Berner named Mabel.

Gun-related? Oakley? (as in Annie)

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Ms Mauser. Call name, Mouse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is Trigger. She answers to Trigg.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm partial to" BULLET!  "
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt....called Colt!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Ojive!  Ordies chime in!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Spot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Call her "kitty". That'll make anybody laugh when you call our "here kitty", and she comes running to you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ms Mauser. Call name, Mouse.
View Quote

I have a Mouse, he turned into "Moose" immediately. Moose wouldn't be bad for a BMD.

My cream Pomeranian is Simo, after Simo Hayha aka The White Death.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just name her AK

Best name I've heard for a dog, yet - charliegoddamit

Name her Yeager
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's what I'd do, considering you have the $$$ for this.

A relationship is give/take.  

He's pretty much stated he's willing to go down your path given a reciprocal on your part.  If you can part with the $$$, I am sure that if he's a dog person (I imagine he is), that he will love that puppy once it's home.  The cost of the rifle and optics would have been borne anyhow, he just gets a definitive answer on it now.

You win, he wins.  You both love the new puppy.

If I were you, I'd get a LaRue OBR, ACOG, and the latest EOTech.  He'd love you forever for that.
View Quote

The reality is that at this point in our lives a dog does make more sense than a puppy. Plus, while I love this breed, we have always had rescue dogs. Yes, we can afford a puppy but I have a hard time rationalizing the cost and the whole large population of dogs in shelters. The cost from the rescue is a flat fee of $300. Obviously we would still incur other normal pet expenses (collar/lease/dog bed/really large dog crate/etc...) but that is negligible to me because we would incur those expenses no matter what.

And while we can afford a puppy/dog and he did (rather well I might add) negotiate the guns/optics I don't know anyone who has the cash for what you recommend. Believe me, they are all on his wish list but I would have to sell a kidney to make it happen!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Call her "kitty". That'll make anybody laugh when you call our "here kitty", and she comes running to you.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My Berner-Rott mix says Fo!

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Lahti. A thing of beauty and a joy forever!

ETA: that's my name suggestion, not the rifle suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Name it   "my tits"  

Want to get your hands on my tits?

Would you like to see my tits?

He'd have to say yes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gun-related? Oakley? (as in Annie)

View Quote

This has my vote

<<<---- look at my avatar.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Name it   "my tits"  

Want to get your hands on my tits?

Would you like to see my tits?

He'd have to say yes.
View Quote

I don't know how to do it but insert the rolling on the ground laughing smiley here. That is pure evil genius.

I did think about this one: Her current name is Samantha aka Sam. I could call her Sammi as in Sammichmaker...get it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#20]
If dog hair is a concern then be aware that a Berner sheds enough to stuff a pillow.  And it is the fine stuff that floats on the air.  We had to put our Berner down almost 2 years ago and we still find his fur in odd places.

Otherwise, they're a great breed.  Watch for her to lean into you for a good ear scratch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]

As in name the dog Fo? I guess I should expand the list to include arfom-isms as well. I can already guess hubby would say FOAD.

Cute dog!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
My cousin named his pit "Berda", a play on "Bersa". Seems to
work with the dog, she's a sweetie!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're adopting a dog it already has a name. Use the one it has.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're adopting a dog it already has a name. Use the one it has.
View Quote

Nope, my ex dropped off a dog for me to watch for a few days,
turned out, she dumped him on me! She named him "Shadow"!!!
I thought about it and after deep thoughts and many beers,
I named him Wylie, after Willie Nelson and Lyle Lovett.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, ran through the list with hubby last night. His new condition: it can't be a human name, it has to be a dog name. Nothing already mentioned grabbed him. Any more suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok, ran through the list with hubby last night. His new condition: it can't be a human name, it has to be a dog name. Nothing already mentioned grabbed him. Any more suggestions?
View Quote
I can't believe he didn't like my tits.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top