Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
Just saw it highlighted on a food show, anyone here eat it? I know they eat some weird shit over there so I am leery about trying it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very good. I keep a jar in my fridge all the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Kimchi is one of the greatest foods on earth.  

When done right.

Most restaurants dont, and most stores dont either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimchi comes in many many different flavors. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it and i don't like much "weird" stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember being in Hawaii when I was 7 or 8 years old. My dad got a jar of it and I tried it.   It was... ummm. . Strong I guess is the word. That's the only way I can describe it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
LA Burger - this place is near me, uses kimchi on burgers, apparently very good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Kimchi can range from meh to AMAZEBALLS!
Try to find some of the latter and you will be surprised t how good it is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Love it.

One of the best things on earth
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If you think of it as Asian sauerkraut, it's not all that weird.  Can be very tasty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had to live through the kimchi odor smelling up my fridge for the past seven years. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love it.

One of the best things on earth
View Quote

Smells like ass though

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
If here was some without shrimp I would be all over it.

Going to make some with ghost peppers and anchovies.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]

I was in korea back in 95. I didn't like the smell of kimchi, never tried it.

fast forward to last month. I was at a Korean restaurant, and on one of the serving dishes they had some kim-chi...figured what the hell, I will give it a try. ....not bad at all.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Only ever had " damn! That's some great kimchi" so I can't comment on the meh crap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah yes, kimchee.

Disgusting.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimchi?   Very rotten cabbage.  The smell is horrible.  However, lots of GIs who tried it in ROK came back home hooked on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Kimchi and Cucumber Kimchi (Oi Sobaegi) is good for you.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LA Burger - this place is near me, uses kimchi on burgers, apparently very good.
View Quote

K fries is what I came to post. I was there on Thursday - good shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I love it. I grew up eating sauerkraut, so to me it was kinda like eating a spicy version of sauerkraut.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#20]
OP you need to get out and see the sunshine once in awhile.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're anywhere near Carrolton one of the largest asian markets in the US is near there.  You should hit it up for some kimchi.

Get some pork floss too.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Kimchi, Doritoes, and an ice cold Coke.  

Heaven.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

fast forward to last month. I was at a Korean restaurant, and on one of the serving dishes they had some kim-chi...figured what the hell, I will give it a try. ....not bad at all.

View Quote

Never understood how that could happen. I was in Korea 99-2001. A lot of GI's never got out and experienced Korea. To experience Korea, you have to eat kimchi. It's served with every meal, and in many forms. I guess most guys stayed on base, or never wandered much farther than the ville. One guy in my unit got jealous listening to our stories about our cross country trips and asked to come on one. The first restaurant we went to(a Korean bbq place), he ordered a cheeseburger. A damn cheeseburger. Ma didn't know what he was talking about. He ended up hating the trip because Korea didn't cater to his American needs. He never bothered us again.
Some of my best friends were Katusas. They were kind enough to have me in their homes, and showed me the real country. Nothing quite like sitting on the pier drinking soju, and eating fish that has just literally come off the boat. We even ate live octopus. My friend got suction cup marks on his face for his trouble. That and a giant octopus sprayed us like a garden hose from a great big bowl. The bowl was clearly marked with warnings in Hangul. There were a lot of laughs when we didn't understand.
Moral of the story? Step out of your comfort zone and try some kimchi. Some is incredibly good. Some is merely very good. I personally know of no hangover cure that is more effective than a kimchi omelette with cheese and rice, and a giant poweraide. Thank you Katusa snack bar!!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Kimchi is pure awesomeness. Kind of a pain to make, so I try to find the locally made stuff in the Korean markets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#26]
There's a reason the phrase "you're in deep Kimchi" exists.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Cosmos Kimchi is great and available all over the place. It's not homemade, but it's a great starter kimchi if you're just getting into it. I love kimchi, all of it.  Go for it, OP.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is very good. I keep a jar in my fridge all the time.
View Quote

Same here, I get it from this little asian shop.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The kimchee I buy doesn't have much American writing on it.  (asian mkt) .  

I also make my own.  I'm not korean but I like the stuff and pork or beef bulgogi.  

I used to have a saying, " you can never put too much fish sauce in the kimchee".  well you can,  my last batch was a little to salty.

I like the other "kimchees" too, the small accompanying side dishes with a meal , cucumber kimchee (red hot sauced),  seasoned mung bean sprouts,  and especially the daikon radish and carrot shredded and seasoned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I love the stuff. Does wonders to your breath too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Good stuff!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The kimchee I buy doesn't have much American writing on it.  (asian mkt) .  

I also make my own.  I'm not korean but I like the stuff and pork or beef bulgogi.  

I used to have a saying, " you can never put too much fish sauce in the kimchee".  well you can,  my last batch was a little to salty.

I like the other "kimchees" too, the small accompanying side dishes with a meal , cucumber kimchee (red hot sauced),  seasoned mung bean sprouts,  and especially the daikon radish and carrot shredded and seasoned.
View Quote

One of my local spots has one week fermented green onion kimchi.

Soooooo damned good
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I have never eaten it, but from what I know about it - I'd probably like it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Is it all fizzy? The only kimchi I've tried was store bought and it was fizzy. Disgusting, and I normally like some pretty disgusting stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Grew up eating that stuff......delicious.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Kimchi, good shit !
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#37]
asking if people have tried kimchi is like asking if people have tried bbq.

there are different types, based on different vegetables.

check out this recipe by david chang, host of the mind of a chef pbs series, and of momofuku's restaurant, famous for trendy innovations on various foods...

http://www.today.com/id/33482489/ns/today-today_food/t/momofukus-perfectly-prickly-cabbage-kimchi/

the recipe is for straight napa, but he actually adds what looks like the equivalent of 1-2 cups of cubed daikon (long white things are radishes).

usually, kimchi is fermented 3 days at room temp, before being refrigerated, and detailed in this one

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/quick-kimchi-recipe.html

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Tasty stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Never understood how that could happen. I was in Korea 99-2001. A lot of GI's never got out and experienced Korea. To experience Korea, you have to eat kimchi. It's served with every meal, and in many forms. I guess most guys stayed on base, or never wandered much farther than the ville. One guy in my unit got jealous listening to our stories about our cross country trips and asked to come on one. The first restaurant we went to(a Korean bbq place), he ordered a cheeseburger. A damn cheeseburger. Ma didn't know what he was talking about. He ended up hating the trip because Korea didn't cater to his American needs. He never bothered us again.

Some of my best friends were Katusas. They were kind enough to have me in their homes, and showed me the real country. Nothing quite like sitting on the pier drinking soju, and eating fish that has just literally come off the boat. We even ate live octopus. My friend got suction cup marks on his face for his trouble. That and a giant octopus sprayed us like a garden hose from a great big bowl. The bowl was clearly marked with warnings in Hangul. There were a lot of laughs when we didn't understand.

Moral of the story? Step out of your comfort zone and try some kimchi. Some is incredibly good. Some is merely very good. I personally know of no hangover cure that is more effective than a kimchi omelette with cheese and rice, and a giant poweraide. Thank you Katusa snack bar!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was there 99-01 also. Almost everyone that I knew who said that they hated Korea never left Camp Casey/TDC. I loved it and rode the train everywhere. Korea was my favorite duty station. My favorite is cucumber kimchi.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
i really like it and also love the spicey pickled cucumbers
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I tried it for the first time when I started dating my girlfriend.  I had to pretend to like it for the first year or so.  I've gradually grown to love it since then, especially the homemade green onion kimchi her mom is making this weekend .  I still prefer fresh kimchi over the really fermented stuff, though.

Hot kimchi soup is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]
My Korean friend always that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
It's simply amazing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have bulgogi tacos with rice and kimchi at a local place.  Delicious.  Kimchi also goes great with steak.

Improperly done kimchi is sour.  Its pretty easy to screw it up.  Mom makes some of the best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Love me some kimchi!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I tried it for the first time when I started dating my girlfriend.  I had to pretend to like it for the first year or so.  I've gradually grown to love it since then, especially the homemade green onion kimchi her mom is making this weekend .  I still prefer fresh kimchi over the really fermented stuff, though.

Hot kimchi soup is awesome.
View Quote

Can you get the recipe ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I love it. I'm trying to get my Korean buddy to get his mom's recipe for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you think of it as Asian sauerkraut, it's not all that weird.  Can be very tasty.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never considered this. I will try it.
I made fresh guacamole burgers today

I have also had a hummus whopper with cheese® and it was way better than I would have expected
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Kimchi rocks.   Buy it at an Asian grocery store -- Korean -- if possible.  

Just go real easy on it the first time or two you have some.   like 1/4 cup.  

Goes great on hot dogs.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top