Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 2:03:47 PM EDT
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/132423-chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/22/chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/

Chicago Public School
parents received robocalls last week encouraging them to sign their
children up for food stamps and free or low-cost health insurance.

"Currently there are 68,000 children in the Chicago Public Schools
that are not enrolled in free or low-cost health insurance and SNAP
also knows as food stamps,” the recording, obtained by The Daily Caller,
says. "Your child may be one of them. To find out more about your
eligibility call the Children and Family Benefits Unit at 773-553-KIDS.”

"Or visit your child’s school and ask the clerk for a Children and Family Benefits Unit flier,” the message added.

The Chicago Public School website explains the Children and
Family Benefits Unit (CFBU) "works to ensure that CPS families receive
those benefits to which they are entitled.”

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This shit isn't unusual, our counselors help people sign up for welfare as well.

This is driven by the Feds- schools get more $$$ based on their designation as serving a 'High Need' community and % of population welfare dependent is one way that's measured.

It's insidious, really.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My first year teaching I had an assistant who asked if she could organize a practical survival class for my students. I figured great, teach them how to wash clothes, make their beds, cook a meal, shop, maybe balance a check book and figure a budget. I was all for it until  she told me she wanted to teach my students the right way to sign up for unemployment, food stamps, subsidized housing, and subsidized utilities.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"entitled"
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This shit isn't supposed to be a lifestyle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The government sees more welfare recipients as proof of the programs success. Taxpayers tend to have a slightly different view.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI for you statistic lovers that's 68,000 out of 400,545 students, or just 17% that isn't on public assistance.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"entitled"
View Quote

Aren't we all? WE are entitled to give, THEY are entitled to receive.

The other interesting thing is the "practical survival skills" teaching assistant, it reveals a couple assumptions. First that the students survival is dependent on the largess of others and not on their own abilities, and that this is the life they were headed for.

I have a nephew that dated a teacher, she had a story. She taught art, and for a "still life" exercise she would have each of her students bring in a pot or pan. She would stack them up and that was the subject for drawing. When she moved to a large city in MN to teach inner city yutes, she made the same request of her students, and it failed. The students households did not contain pots or pans. All food was either take out or precooked microwave fare.

THEY live a different life than WE do.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This shit isn't unusual, our counselors help people sign up for welfare as well.

This is driven by the Feds- schools get more $$$ based on their designation as serving a 'High Need' community and % of population welfare dependent is one way that's measured.

It's insidious, really.
View Quote

Ding Ding Winner!!

At my kids last school we were told to lie about my income so my kids could get free lunches and other benefits.  No BS, one of the school administrators asked me to redo the financial section on my kids enrollment paperwork because she said "the school gets more money based on how many kids are in the program"
I didn't do it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately it has been that way for decades.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
What can you say bout a school system that has to have a parade every year just to remind the kids and parents when the school year starts? The Bud Bilikin parade is held every year to announce the start of school, even with the never ending, perpetual PSA announcements on the start of school, and the parade Chicago still has up to 1/4 of the student body that doesn't show until the third week of school.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
This reminds me of the thread where a member's daughter had to tell of some FSA trash that were making fun of her for bringing her own lunch. For the life of me, I can't find the thread though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Chicago Public School website explains the Children and Family Benefits Unit (CFBU) "works to ensure that CPS families receive those benefits to which they are entitled.”
View Quote

Not the benefits they need, or can't live without. No, the benefits to which they are entitled.

They are entitled to a portion of my income. How much is enough?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whaaaaat?

You thought it was a safety net?

Nah, it's a hammock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not the benefits they need, or can't live without. No, the benefits to which they are entitled.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Chicago Public School website explains the Children and Family Benefits Unit (CFBU) "works to ensure that CPS families receive those benefits to which they are entitled.”

More, more, more.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
More, more, more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More, more, more.

Yep. Once the 'take' is established, the only thing left is just arguing the degree to which it's perpetrated.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#16]

It's the fourth "R": Receiving Free Shit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/132423-chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/22/chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/

Chicago Public <a href="http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/22/chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/#" target="_blank">Schoolhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png</a> parents received robocalls last week encouraging them to sign their children up for food stamps and free or low-cost health insurance.

"Currently there are 68,000 children in the Chicago Public <a href="http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/22/chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/#" target="_blank">Schoolshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png</a> that are not enrolled in free or low-cost health insurance and SNAP also knows as food stamps,” the recording, obtained by The Daily Caller, says. "Your child may be one of them. To find out more about your eligibility call the Children and Family Benefits Unit at 773-553-KIDS.”

"Or visit your child’s school and ask the clerk for a Children and Family Benefits Unit flier,” the message added.

[div style='overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;']
Read more:  http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/22/chicago-public-school-system-pushing-food-stamps/#ixzz3024qQ43W
View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Why does this shock anyone? This is the Fundamental Change we were told about!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
It is a culture now for this type of thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Believe it or not, there are a lot of improvished families who do not get benefits, frequently out of ignorance. It's crazy how many kids don't have sufficient food at home, how many either want to save their snack from Friday for weekend and would beg for extras to bring home (which you give them whenever possible). On late entry days (i.e. snow), I would have more than a few crying that they were hungry from not eating since lunch the day before (some were kids whose parents would squander the benefits they receive...feast for a week or two and starve for the rest).
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Believe it or not, there are a lot of improvished families who do not get benefits, frequently out of ignorance. It's crazy how many kids don't have sufficient food at home, how many either want to save their snack from Friday for weekend and would beg for extras to bring home (which you give them whenever possible). On late entry days (i.e. snow), I would have more than a few crying that they were hungry from not eating since lunch the day before (some were kids whose parents would squander the benefits they receive...feast for a week or two and starve for the rest).
View Quote

So donate to those families/children yourself and starve the bureaucracy that leeches taxpayer money in the name of good intentions.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So donate to those families/children yourself and starve the bureaucracy that leeches taxpayer money in the name of good intentions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Nothing is stopping people from personal acts of charity.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this why my property taxes went up?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
A GENERATIONAL lifestyle at that.  It's become a way of life that utterly destroys communities and certain demographics.

I guess it beats working though.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A GENERATIONAL lifestyle at that.  It's become a way of life that utterly destroys communities and certain demographics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey when people feel they are entitled to something they hang on to it no matter what squalor they live in while doing so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top