Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 3:13:36 AM EDT
)
WASHINGTON, April 25 (UPI) -- According to a new health study, some 7.5 percent of children ages 6 to 17 are being prescribed psych meds for emotional or behavioral problems.

The study is based on information collected as a part of the National Health Interview Survey, designed and carried out by the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.

Informed by interviews conducted in 2011 and 2012 with the parents of more than 17,000 children, the new look at America's medicated youth indicates the drugs are apparently working.

"We can't advise parents on what they should do, but I think it's positive that over half of parents reported that medications helped 'a lot,'" said report author LaJeana Howie, a statistical research scientist at NCHS.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2014/04/25/75-percent-of-schoolchildren-take-prescription-psych-meds/9691398436127/#ixzz2zzRAzH5A

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2014/04/25/75-percent-of-schoolchildren-take-prescription-psych-meds/9691398436127/?spt=su
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad parenting, schools unauthorized to enforce discipline for fear of accusations of child abuse.  We are a society grown dysfunctional and heavily reliant on medications.  It's an easy way out instead of facing responsibility on so many levels.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet it's higher than that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Is this rate of kid doping across the board or are there different rates between homeschooling, private school, and .Gov indoctrination camps?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
sure why not  ... keep all the sheep calm and the ducks in a row...  no need  to  ever single out brilliance.  I can show you kids that were so called problem kids   and they are well off today.   and those good smart kids  are living in they're parents basements.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
I'd like to see the numbers on ADHD kids drawing SS as well
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems low.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised it isn't higher than that. I work in a psych hospital with a kids and adolescent ward. What is scarier is that many of them obviously need it, and I don't mean ADHD or behavioral things. The number of truly psychotic children out there is scary.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes its not just "bad parenting". I have a child who, after trying many different things, was put on medication for behavioral problems.
She was always getting in trouble in school, and a terror at the house. Now she's doing good in school
and made honor roll. My son had never had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bad parenting, schools unauthorized to enforce discipline for fear of accusations of child abuse.  We are a society grown dysfunctional and heavily reliant on medications.  It's an easy way out instead of facing responsibility on so many levels.
View Quote

But they can take the kids to get birth control
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems low...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#12]
fuck.....when i was in school people just took ritalin.  i guess all these made up fucking illnesses didnt exist.  and nobody gave a shit in johnny was sad about something, that was his problem.  fucking pussy ass country we have become.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
fuck.....when i was in school people just took ritalin.  i guess all these made up fucking illnesses didnt exist.  and nobody gave a shit in johnny was sad about something, that was his problem.  fucking pussy ass country we have become.
View Quote

LOL when I was in school if you had "issues " you git stuck in "special " education.  
My grammar and math scores were low...everything else way advanced for my age. Guess where I got to go for math and English. Out in the "special " kids portable by the gym.  Imagine being stuck in a class room with kids that made Forrest gump look normal. Can't read...outta control..crippled ...our just plain trashy don't care trouble kids. That one year was hell for me. Till my folks pulled me out and sent me to private school. Guess what zero issues...grades went up etc.
But in portable hell...there was one good thing. The teacher..holy smoking late 80 s see through sweater wearing brunette goddess ...who always like to bend over in front of me...I don't think there wasn't a day in her class my 13 ye old self didn't sport a hard on and I know she noticed....but that's a different thread....right LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

I'm amazed how many kids are growing up with practically no concept of impulse control.  And their parents don't care, they simply believe it's everyone else's responsibility to accommodate it.

It's a fucked up situation all around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sometimes its not just "bad parenting". I have a child who, after trying many different things, was put on medication for behavioral problems.
View Quote

I just went to a conference with my son's teacher, principal and school psychiatrist about my youngest son's behavior.  He's not belligerent, he just doesn't seem interested in participating.  At all.  We talked about a bunch of ideas to get him to tie his outside interests to what's going on in school and get him engaged.  I was surprised as hell that medication was not mentioned once.  
IMHO, his teacher isn't a good match for him (she reminds me of Calvin's teacher, Mrs. Wormwood).  My oldest son's teacher is much more high energy and constantly looks for things particular kids are interested in to keep them engaged.  Hopefully they'll both get someone like that next year.
As for "bad parenting", I'm probably too engaged, constantly finding new and interesting things for my boys and I to do (today's new toy is a prism, inspired by the episode of Cosmos about light).  If I were more dull, they'd probably do better with the long, dry hump that is school.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the concentrations vary by district and building.  Some places are way higher than 7.5%.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
My 16 y/o daughter behaves great, everyone loves her, and her grades are fine.  Only problem is she wants to be dead.  My wife and I get to decide if we will put her on antidepressants.  The stuff is black-labelled with a big note that says it may cause thoughts of suicide.  If it works as intended it might help her.  Or push her further along the path to suicide.

Flip a coin with my daughter's life?   Yeah, this will be a grim weekend.

Also have a 12 y/o son who's doing completely fine.

Leaning against the meds for my daughter and so is my wife.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Know how many kids have screwed up brain chemistry these days b/c mom was smoking weed or some other crap while she was pregnant?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry, eventually it will be cool to have normal kids again.
There are kids who really need the drugs, but I think a lot of lazy parents end up putting their kids on wild shit so they are easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this rate of kid doping across the board or are there different rates between homeschooling, private school, and .Gov indoctrination camps?

View Quote

Most likely this is more prevalent at the gov indoc camps since the federal govt gives schools extra money per student diagnosed with ADD and placed on drugs.  I am willing to bet if a govt indoctrinator says a child needs to be drugged he/she can also provide a list of doctors that will happily diagnose and prescribe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

)

WASHINGTON, April 25 (UPI) -- According to a new health study, some 7.5 percent of children ages 6 to 17 are being prescribed psych meds for emotional or behavioral problems.

View Quote

Well at least they're not snorting nicotine or injecting marijuanas.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
its higher than that. you would not believe how many children we deal with in the hospital that are on all kinds of meds. hell, just listen to other parents talk about Timmy's ADHD...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My 16 y/o daughter behaves great, everyone loves her, and her grades are fine.  Only problem is she wants to be dead.  My wife and I get to decide if we will put her on antidepressants.  The stuff is black-labelled with a big note that says it may cause thoughts of suicide.  If it works as intended it might help her.  Or push her further along the path to suicide.

View Quote

IM me. Email me. Something.
I'm serious.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
holy shit. 7.5 percent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm serious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.

IM sent.  She's been evaluated and is safe for now.  All guns, knives and meds (especially Tylenol) are locked up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IM sent.  She's been evaluated and is safe for now.  All guns, knives and meds (especially Tylenol) are locked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.

I haven't received one. I tried IM you but yours isn't accepting. I'm a psych nurse and just want to give you some things to explore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I haven't received one. I tried IM you but yours isn't accepting. I'm a psych nurse and just want to give you some things to explore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.

Thanks, I tried IM again and fixed settings.  I'm helping her clean room so will be on and off.  All is safe here, but wife and I are worried and taking this very seriously.  Really don't want to do psych meds yet.  Dr. agrees it's not necessary yet.  You can list your ideas here if you are willing.  I'm interested and it my help others here.  
Thank you for your concern and thoughts.
Very respectfully-
1982fxr
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I took em'.

Funny how your symptoms can drastically decrease when you get off them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember reading sci fi stories as a kid (that were written many many moons ago) where people were told to take pills all the time to keep them happy.  Its like they had a crystal ball.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm surprised it isn't higher than that. I work in a psych hospital with a kids and adolescent ward. What is scarier is that many of them obviously need it, and I don't mean ADHD or behavioral things. The number of truly psychotic children out there is scary.
View Quote

How much of that is genetic, from their upbringing, or parents lifestyle choices (drug abuse)?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

as a medical professional- DO NOT put her on meds. get gainful counseling. but not meds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.

I see you are in OK.
Please IM me and I can assist in any way. I have connections in OKC and Tulsa.

there is help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How much of that is genetic, from their upbringing, or parents lifestyle choices (drug abuse)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upbringing shouldn't have much to do with true psychotic disorders like schizophrenia. Might make the poor kid more sensitive or easily agitated, but that's about it. Nobody really understands those diseases fully. There are some genetic links, possibly some developmental (physical brain development) links. There are drugs that can trigger a psychotic episode or exacerbate one, so its not completely unreasonable to think that some of those drugs during pregnancy might set something off in the developing child, but there is no evidence I know of about that.

One thing that strikes me is that, generally speaking, the psychotic disorders are a late teen/young adult onset thing. There are always fliers in both directions, but I thought they were getting generally younger and younger so I asked some older docs and many feel the same way. Kind of like how kids are starting puberty much earlier than when I was a kid. Maybe it really does have to do with synthetic hormone mimics in the environment, I don't have a clue.

With the behavioral, mood, and personality disorders, we often see a lot of parental influence (or lack thereof), but not always. Some peoples' wiring just doesn't come out right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top