Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2014 12:57:35 PM EDT
I know that the High Points have a fairly poor reputation overall, but the High Point Carbine seems pretty good imo. A co-worker has one and I know it is decent. I was thinking of one in .40 cal for my trunk for shtf type situations. I can pick one up for $285 NIB from a LGS. They also have a High Point .40 cal Pistol I can get for $185 and they would be able to share ammo and mags. If for some reason my car were to be stolen or broken into I would be out under 500 bucks on 2 weapons, but barring that, I would have basically back-up to my back up as 99% of the time I leave the house I have my Primary on me and typically my LCR .38 SPL as a back up. These High Points would supplement them by becoming weapons to a secondary person I would trust if things were to go sideways, or just extra cheap firearms always at my disposal.

What say you oh mighty Arfcommers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
AR pistol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
if you want to buy a new gun then buy a new gun.
but leaving guns in unattended vehicles is just a bad idea.
just my opinion
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AR pistol.
View Quote

AK Pistol
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

AK Pistol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR pistol.

AK Pistol

Wouldn't transporting a trash can everywhere be kind of suspicious?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know that the High Points have a fairly poor reputation overall, but the High Point Carbine seems pretty good imo. A co-worker has one and I know it is decent. I was thinking of one in .40 cal for my trunk for shtf type situations. I can pick one up for $285 NIB from a LGS. They also have a High Point .40 cal Pistol I can get for $185 and they would be able to share ammo and mags. If for some reason my car were to be stolen or broken into I would be out under 500 bucks on 2 weapons, but barring that, I would have basically back-up to my back up as 99% of the time I leave the house I have my Primary on me and typically my LCR .38 SPL as a back up. These High Points would supplement them by becoming weapons to a secondary person I would trust if things were to go sideways, or just extra cheap firearms always at my disposal.

View Quote
AFTER purchasing a locking mechanism that can be bolted to the vehicle... A cheap ak folder would be my buy

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just my opinion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
just my opinion

There definitely is merit to that - and it is the reason I have been afraid to leave a standard costing weapon in my trunk.

Quoted:
Quoted:
AR pistol.

AK Pistol

I like your thinking sir!

Oh, and Little Pony is fine with the High Point carbine idea, but does not think the pistol is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR pistol.

AK Pistol

Lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been considering getting Glocks for all of my vehicles. Cheap, functional, and if they get stolen what the fuck do I care - they're Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Why the hell would you do a hi-point when you can do a Glock-mag Sub 2000 for not much more, and it folds up?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been considering getting Glocks for all of my vehicles. Cheap, functional, and if they get stolen what the fuck do I care - they're Glocks.
View Quote

The AK/trash can filler of the pistol world.

Serially, I have a $100 thutty-aught 98 Mauser beater, a $60 .22 LR single-shot rifle, and a ~$300 cop trade-in Smith 66 .357 that live in my truck.  If you're gonna go long gun, at least make it in a caliber with useful power!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR pistol.

AK Pistol

Not if your vehicle is a rolling trash can like most peoples
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why the hell would you do a hi-point when you can do a Glock-mag Sub 2000 for not much more, and it folds up?
View Quote

Well you can do the sub 2000 but still need the pistol as well. Ends up being quite a bit a more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well you can do the sub 2000 but still need the pistol as well. Ends up being quite a bit a more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My toss-around weapons cut the costs in that. Sub 2000, 59 mag version, paired with a Daewoo K5 that uses the same mags. Well. They USED to be cheap. Sarco had them for $250 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
mossberg 500 and G22
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AFTER purchasing a locking mechanism that can be bolted to the vehicle... A cheap ak folder would be my buy  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An under folder AK is what I'd like to get. As an aside, your avatar is memologically incorrect. Doge disproves.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
S&W SD9/SD40 VE

Occasionally $289 at Academy. Regular price is $319
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]

$859.60 doesn't seem like a cheap vehicle weapon. You can buy a cheap AR-15 and a used Glock for that price.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]

But yeah.. that would be too pricey to risk it possibly being stolen and whatnot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

$859.60 doesn't seem like a cheap vehicle weapon. You can buy a cheap AR-15 and a used Glock for that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the fundamental unit you order to fit your Glock. It comes fully assembled and test fired. It includes only what is shown above plus one standard Glock Block. Nothing else is included with the BASIC unit. At the right is shown what can be done by adding accessories. Accessories are ordered separately - see ACCESSORIES page.. Please specify Glock pistol model when ordering. Accessories which are ordered at the same time you order a BASIC unit include free installation.

BASIC UNIT GLK $359.95  Thought everyone owned a glock or 2

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My only concern with a High Point carbine is that it's only a 9mm.  For my truck gun  I'd rather have a rifle caliber carbine like an AR, an AK, a Mini 14 or even an AR pistol with a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel, just to have capability to deal with problems out to 200 yards.  A pistol caliber carbine simply isn't going to give you that kind of range, be it 9mm, 45ACP or any other popular pistol round.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My only concern with a High Point carbine is that it's only a 9mm.  For my truck gun  I'd rather have a rifle caliber carbine like an AR, an AK, a Mini 14 or even an AR pistol with a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel, just to have capability to deal with problems out to 200 yards.  A pistol caliber carbine simply isn't going to give you that kind of range, be it 9mm, 45ACP or any other popular pistol round.
View Quote

Ok, so I just got back from the gunshop and I picked them up They are both .40 cal btw :) Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions arfcom!

btw, this lgs just a couple minutes from where I live has the 4473 on the computer like a power point thingy. First time I have seen that. You just click yes or no to each question it asks you after the dealer types in your info and then it gets called in from there. I do not know if it goes any quicker really, but it seems nicer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
This is Arfcom GD get both!
I'd look at an under folder AK and maybe one of the surplus Tok or Mak style pistols.
If its a "standard" pick up they make lock box / safes that fit behind the seat. If you have one of those you could fit a full sized AR behind the seat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#25]
In WV, and in most states, you can't keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle. That is why a lot of us stick with AK/AR pistols.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In WV, and in most states, you can't keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle. That is why a lot of us stick with AK/AR pistols.
View Quote

With your permit in your state you still cannot keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle? With my permit I can even drive through a commie state like Illinois locked and loaded. I just cannot stop and get out
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I alway view this on how much your life is worth? That said a Mossy 500 is GTG
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With your permit in your state you still cannot keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With your permit in your state you still cannot keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle?

Nope. At least it is what the guy teaching my CCW class said.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
For all your viewing pleasure. The large, heavy, blockiness that is the High Point.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#30]
If my goal was cheapest, I`d get a used 870, or mossberg maverick.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you want to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#32]
LOL...  Under an hour an a half from a poll "what should I buy" to bought at the gun shop.  Do you even poll, bro?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL...  Under an hour an a half from a poll "what should I buy" to bought at the gun shop.  Do you even poll, bro?
View Quote

I am a master with the polle I also am very weak willed and followed the general trend in favor
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
ARF logic- buy a 3k range toy that you shoot once a month, then buy the cheapest POS to carry everyday that might be needed to save your life
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am a master with the polle I also am very weak willed and followed the general trend in favor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

chortle
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For all your viewing pleasure. The large, heavy, blockiness that is the High Point.

http://i.imgur.com/8N50pkx.jpg
View Quote

Sort of want.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

FPNI
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
just my opinion
View Quote

this................

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  That would be my go to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have no qualm with keeping a cheap weapon in the veh as a backup "SHTF" type thing.
I used to carry my Draco in the back, until I SBRd it
So now I keep a 770 (270) back there. It may be only 4 rounds, but I can make em count

I also keep a 33 rd mag in it as well for my 19.

I want to build another AR pistol for just such a thing in 300blk.......
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ARF logic- buy a 3k range toy that you shoot once a month, then buy the cheapest POS to carry everyday that might be needed to save your life
View Quote

Do you even read bro? This purchase was not every day carry for me. This is a back up to my back up basically. I have a good quality edc firearm AS Well as a good quality back up gun. These guns would be further back up to that or ones I could provide to a second person whom I trust who might not be armed in a shtf situation :)

Just got back from the range this morning btw, Did a crap ton of shooting. Shot my AR, XD.45 (primary edc), my LCR 38 spl (back up edc gun) and shot 250 rounds through the new .40 cal High Points. The Rifle was 100%. No issues of any sort whatsoever. (i expected this) Had 3 ftf issues with the handgun, however 2 of them were on the same round in different mags. I was using a mix of factory ammo, but I suspect that one particular round was slightly misshapen out of the box, so 1 single ftf out of 125 I put through it. I will polish the feed ramp really really good and see if the issue repeates, but I can live with a single ftf every 125 rounds or so from that gun, but it probably will lessen in number as it breaks in I am guessing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Find an old beater shotgun or sporting rifle on the cheap. Quality is considerably better and it will be chambered in a round that justifies a long arm to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
just my opinion
View Quote

Yep, Broken Arrow, OK PD lost an AR15 out of one of their patrol cars that was parked at a rookie's house over on Juniper Street one night last summer.

They is "profeshnul enuf", but they still lost it. Home Fries just graduated from his Hi-Point/Lorcin to some REAL hardware.

(PS: Don't tell anyone the PD lost a rifle...they did everything they could to sweep that little piece of news under the rug...)
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Hipoint has proven to be more reliable and accurate than my Keltec.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was very impressed with that High Point carbine to be honest. Was shooting a bit high and right but it could have been me actually, Will have to shoot it a lot more to be certain. As for the .40cal HP hand gun it seemed ok. Had the one ftf for certain and it was decently accurate and I did shoot it last and was getting a bit weary by then having shot 4 other guns before it. Overall though, with all the horrible things I have heard and been told about HP's (and even telling myself I would never own one myself) they performed pretty well I have to say. When you factor in cost and bang for buck I was pleasantly surprised. Will have to see over time how my feeling stay on that. Next time they are in the rotation I should probably shoot them first instead of last as .40 cal is a little snappier and not as good to deal with when you are starting to feel a bit worn out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top