Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 9:15:10 AM EDT
Help.  Need some advice on what the best gaming device to get.  My kids are 9 and 11 and have been on my ass for quite awhile.  I'm close to folding but want to make sure I get the right (best) one.  Any advice or experiences you guys can share.

Also, any cool games you'd recommend?  for kids? for me?
UPDATE

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR ADVICE.  I WENT WITH THE CONSENSUS AND BOUGHT THE X-BOX.  THEY WERE OUT OF HALO, BUT I DID BUY "MAX PAYNE" FOR MYSELF.  THE KIDS HAVE THE 2 INTO GAMES TO GET THEM STARTED.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
XBox- Halo for everybody!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a PS2, get an XBOX.

Either way you will be fine, but go nuts. Graphics are better, etc...

Visit your local Toys-R-US store and test drive both...

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]

despite how much i hate supporting microsoft any more than i already do...

get the X-box

it is truly above the rest.

hell man, Halo is the only reason you need.

the only thing is the controller is large, but once you become accustomed to it, you dont want to go back.  excellent ergos.  i have small hands and the large controller of the xbox is still perfect.

it is obvious that a lot of thought went into this machine.

if you have any friends with an x-box invite them over and have some 8-16 player halo.  it is the shit.

gamecubes and ps2s are nice for sure, but not comparable.  ive spent hours on both.  i am starting to hate the playstation because it is a real bitch about playing scratched games.  it doesnt take much to fuck up a ps2.

thats my two

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought an Xbox and prefer it over the PS2.  Circuit City has a $199 deal that includes 2 games and a third game for $19.99 or less for free.

The only game I play is Halo on my 43" HDTV and 5.1 surround sound system.  It is fricken awesome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Xbox and it rules !!!  HALO is definitely worth buying the console for.

But having said that, the PS2 is probably better for kids. They have a much larger library of games available and all the PS1 games work on it too. The Xbox is aimed more at teen and young adults.

Technically, the Xbox is the most advanced of them all. It's practically a PC.
Hell, at $200 each you could just buy 'em both !

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
For kids that age you should get the GameCube.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got both, and have stopped buying games for the PS2...IMVHO, the Grand Theft Auto series is the only reason for keeping PS2 around.

Besides....it's only 11 more months until HALO 2 comes out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got an XBox too, and it rocks. Got it, an extra controller, and the dvd kit at www.ebgames.com with free 2 day shipping (saved $20 in taxes).

PS2 has a ton more games, but after playing all the systems it came down to a gamecube and an xbox. Since the gamecube won't play dvd movies, it was an easy decision for the XBox. Plus XBox seems to have a lot more "Mature" rated games while Gamecube seems to market to the teen and preteen.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Use the search Luke...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a console so you can play DVD's![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
This may be the only reply that you will need to read...

1) Game Cube is marketed as console for younger kids ~ you will find here 'family' oriented games (read non-violent)

2) Real choice is X-Box vs. PS-2

X-Box is more advanced => it was released after PS-2 was released.  However that gave PS-2 an edge in number of units sold => X-Box have to fight an uphill battle for market share.

From visual point of view X-Box has slight edge over PS-2.

There are way more good games for PS-2 than X-Box => that really counts!!!

PS-2 can play older games for original PS (and there are hundreds of those); there is nothing like that for X-Box

X-Box dominates in the sport games niche.

Gamers I know tend to prefer PS-2 gamepad (joystick) over X-Box [we are talking pads bundled with retail product]

3) Becouse I am computer wiz I would buy X-Box for myself => it can be modified into a computer (that's for ADVANCED users only)

4) ---- BOTTOM LINE ----

Go to your local video rental place (Blockbuster Video, Hollywood Video, etc.) most of them will carry console games - that will give you good idea what you want to buy.  Most of them will carry titles for all systems - visually count 'shelf space' - your kids will most likely want to rent games (as opposed to spending $50 per title)

If your kids have friends that have a game console - call them, more than likely they will swap / borrow each other's games (including so-called 'backups' - illegal copies).

5) From technical standpoint X-Box rules.  Despite that (and as much as it pains me) PS-2 is still dominant in the market, and most likely it will reign as a king of consoles.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I know, a console to play DVDs... but in my own defense our DVD player broke about a month ago, and it is how I convinced the wife to go ahead and do the XBox... Cheaper than buying a console and a new DVD player.

Another question though... Do backups need to burned to a DVD-R in order to work on the XBOX? I have seen the mod chips/boards, but not going to spend the money on one if I have to buy a $200 DVD burner.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh... few more things...

Most people buy any given game console because of this ONE game that they want to play.  That's why you see all those replies from HALO nuts above (and I mean it in a loving way).  I am not so sute that you want to focus on HALO (X-Box) or Resident Evil (PS-2) or any other particular KILL 'EM game.  You want variety, especially that you have 9 year old...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
He did say his kids are 9 and 11.

The GameCube is the best choice for this age group.

The GameCube is also good for adults who don't want to grow up.[:D]

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Xbox has plenty of variety, not like it only has 5 games...  It has more than enough kiddie games and more adult games for you as well, and the list grows everyday.  I would definitely get the Xbox, but the PS2 isn't a bad choice either.  Gamecube shouldn't even be a blip on the screen, except strictly for little kids.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up Shrek as my free game that came with my Xbox. Your kids would really like the fact that you can fart, eat a chili pepper, belch and ignite your fart resulting in an explosion.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
XBox, definately
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm getting an Xbox for christmas, though I played my brother's for the last year.  It's the way to go, without a doubt.

And I got a refurbished one from Electronics Boutique for [b]$149.99[/b], which is damn good for a machine that is fundamentally new.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck the XBoX!

Get the old Nintendo 8 bit system! you can't beat 10 year old proven technology!  8 bit RULES!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Gamecube or PS2, although Xbox is catching up to PS2..

IMO, nothing compares to the gamecube due to it's exclusive titles though..
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Forget the gamecube. I have a ps2 and a xbox and like them both. So my answer is get both.

oz
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fuck the XBoX!

Get the old Nintendo 8 bit system! you can't beat 10 year old proven technology!  8 bit RULES!
View Quote

LMFAO!!! Thats right man. Tell like it is.

When was the last time someone got bored playing Super Mario Brothers 3, Castlevania 2  or Ninja Gaiden?

I've owned most of the console systems out there. I ended up with the XBOX. The best gaming system is and always will be the PC however.

The GameCube has the resident evil series wich i consider mature. RE 0 is cool.

Vice City will also be on the PC so that rules out the PS2. Not that VC is all that great. Its good no doubt, but there is only so many times you can steal a car or mug someone without the novelty wearing off. The next step for GTA should be multiplayer.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#24]
This might work good too:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3537&item=1946802258[/url]

Oz
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Just to let you know Resident Evil only came out on Gamecube not PS-2.  PS-2 is a proven game system that has games for both little kids and adults.  PS-2 graphics may be a little less than Xbox's graphics, but the PS-2 system isn't made out of stupid off the shelf computer parts.  

If you want a trusted system get the PS-2 because it has specific parts that are fited to the system.  Plus you get more discounts when you buy PS-2 games.

However, whatever people say is only their personal oppion and not fact.  You should do some research and check each system out.  Look at the types of games, features, prices, and quality of each system.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just to let you know Resident Evil only came out on Gamecube not PS-2.  PS-2 is a proven game system that has games for both little kids and adults.  PS-2 graphics may be a little less than Xbox's graphics, but the PS-2 system isn't made out of stupid off the shelf computer parts.  

If you want a trusted system get the PS-2 because it has specific parts that are fited to the system.  Plus you get more discounts when you buy PS-2 games.

However, whatever people say is only their personal oppion and not fact.  You should do some research and check each system out.  Look at the types of games, features, prices, and quality of each system.  
View Quote

Ah hahahahahahaha!! Your saying the XBOX is lesser because it uses off the shelf 'Puter parts? Well hmm....let me think. Which system of the Big three has the most troubles reliability wise?

110 Whos owned two PS2's
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
having played all of em. I say Xbox theres more than just Halo. PS2 is ok but theres just way to many raving Sony Fanboys and after a while GTA gets really old *ducks to avoid rotten veggies*
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Get and XBOX and then turn it in to a computer...First why get an XBOX?

XBOX more advanced? Well, yes and no.

The XBOX is basicly Pentium-III (733 Mhz) with a nice on board nvidia chipset. It comes with either a 8 or 10 gig hard drive. The controllers suck (they are selling a non-suck version now), but use a bastardized usb plug (big +). There are a bunch of games out there, and the list is growing, but they aint cheap. Also you have to buy a $30 remote to make the DVD player work at all.

The PS2 is based upon specially desighned RISC chips that are made to pump out a hell of a lot of vector calculations. Using fully optimised code it run aproxomitly equivilant to a Pentium-4 (1400 Mhz). The problem is that alot of the game programmers do not know how to really code for the PS2 well. Simply put they have to do funny thing to get information in and out of the system fast enough. The PS2 comes with nice controllers, DVD working out of box, no hard drive , and many times the number of games available for  the XBOX. Also you can pick them up cheap (5-10 bucks), so its alot more economical to give a kid a game for missing a t-ball game.

The thing that might throw you over the XBOX is that it is possible to turn it in to a computer running linux fairly eaisly. Check out:
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
FYI, the Xbox controller takes some getting used to if you are already used to older setups, but it is far and away the best console controller out there ever.  Ergos are awesome with it.  I can play all freakin day (literally, HALO FEST!) without so much as a sore thumb.  Not that the PS2 controllers are bad but the Xbox controller is superior in every way (except maybe for children with small hands), despite "them being crappy" being what almost every PS2 fanboy says immediately...

The Xbox might look like a basic off the shelf PC on paper, but it is one badass system.  The video setup being intergrated the way it is has bandwidth the likes of which even the newest and about to be released PC cards can't touch (it is however still GF3 based, so it's starting to be behind the times, still alot to be done with it though).  The harddrive is vastly useful for a console as well.  And the Xbox is just barely getting into it's second generation of games.  The PS2 is not going to catching the Xbox graphically...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]
the controllers for X-box are a tad big for little kids.  

I just bought a PS/2 soley on the basis that my kid said that's what he'd rather have.

I did pick up "Ghost Recon" for myself though.
Anyone play it yet?
since he hasn't opened it yet, I haven't gotten to play it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Simple:
PS2

Ebayed my XBOX 2 months ago.. and got a PS2.

XBOX is a far better system technically, but it has very few good games... PS2 has sooo many.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#32]
know are we talking about the regular xbox controller or the new S controller cuz the S controller is alot better same one but smaller.
the xbox that coes with the 2 cames comes with the S controller.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Buy all [b]3[/b]

Go take out $1000

XBOX w/ 2  games  - $200
PS2               - $200
GameCube          - $150
----------------------------
                   $550

That leaves you $450 for games and taxes.
Get Halo and a bunch of other games for your kids. You can buy used games from local games stoares and save some change too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's a pretty good article about XBox vs PS2 (shows both sides)I found when I made my decision.
[url]http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/shawn/xbox/xboxVps2redux.htm[/url]

People talking about the PS2 being more advanced than the Xbox should definately read
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#35]
My nephew is 11, we rented all three on one week plans when he was left with us for a month (long family story).
X-Box is hands down the best system. The controller is so-so, but the 'special' smaller one is a decent price and the equal of any of the other system's.
Good game selection used to be Halo or SSX (I also like circus racing) then Outlaw golf came out. About 1/4 of the new releases are good to great. Downside is that GTA is not on X-Box.
I used the blockbuster game card deal this summer a lot and that really helped me narrow donw the game choices. Wait for another deal like that to really try some games.
Buy all games second hand, either at BB or the local game shop (caution, the boys at the local game shop are all jackasses and you will want to beat them down)
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The youngest of the DC snipers was said to be addicted to Halo. Guess  that I will have to try it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy NONE!

Get your kids and yourself off your asses and experience real life!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#38]
HALO

Mech Assault

Splinter Cell

Get the Xbox
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#39]
for the kids get a gamecube(better children's themes but for u XBOX all the way
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#40]
THANKS FOR ADVICE.  WENT WITH THE X-BOX.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#41]
xbox: xbox live starter kit and ghost recon, halo, and splinter cell.

ghost recon on line with high speed internet and voice chat fvcking kicks ass. + it's a tom clancy game with pretty damn realistic tactics, and lots of m16a4+m203's m4a1, and (holy hell the real thing is more fun than sex)m249's.

xbox version is much better than pc version as far as online, plus you can't beat a tactical simulator combined with voice commo.

might be a little to complicated for many kids however, and expect explicit language while talking to other people on xbox live.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 3:01:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Get the PS2.........games for the same title (sometimes) can be found a a better price..........and then there is the "Classic" PS2 games that run only about $20.00
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Grand Theft Auto III == PS/2
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well recieved?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well recieved?
View Quote

Yes, well received.  thanks for asking.  it came with 2 games.  I bought Max Payne for myself and just bought 2 more games for kids with "E" rating.  My son's b'day is in 2 weeks so he will get them then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top