Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 5:24:39 PM EDT
Each DVD appears to have 3-4 shows from the series. How is/was it? Worth renting?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
each one has 2 episodes on it. With a total of 10 episodes. I rented them, and I liked the movie. Still need to watch 9&10 though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My kids (and teenagers at that!) bought the set for me for my birthday not long after it came out.
As Sparsky noted, each disk has two episodes...plus additional background info.
Kevin
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't rent it, BUY it. Its awesome. If you have kids, make them watch it. And read the book. Its even better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]
pure addiction..watched the dvds in 2 sittings...awesome series....what a story...
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Rent it?  Shit.

BUY IT MAN.

you will not regret that you did.  It's like a piece of history.  I love popping in a disc and watching a few episodes while I clean my M1s or just fondle them lovingly.  

Check out all the extras!  There is a whole disc with extras, and I'm not sure that you can even rent that one.  

GO BUY IT!  I think Walmart has it for less than $70.  IT'S WORTH IT.

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
DITTO!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife, who is not a fan of all the war movies I watch, even liked it.  She watched the 2nd episode, then the next disc.  Then made me go out right then to rent the next 2.  She even enjoyed it.

Buy it is correct.

Just got We were soldiers used for $10.  Seen 3 times before I got it.  Another must own.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes Buy It.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm getting it for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm getting it for Christmas.
View Quote

Me Too ! !

Hurry up santa !
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I rented episodes 9 & 10 today and my 14 year old daughter watched it. And she highly recommends it. She prefers this movie to Saving Private Ryan, which she says is too much of a downer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Currently viewed two discs and have another two rented. I would have watched the other two already but have been playing too many games from Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy IT!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
My son found it under this big tree in our living room a couple of days ago.  It was marked "To: Jeff & Jeff".

Guess what our names are? [8D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I got it for my birthday last month. I watched all 10 hrs of in two sittings. The end almost wants to make one cry. If i were Liebgott and had to tell all those Jews they cannot be fed, I would cry too. It's an emotional movie/miniseries.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I rented them, took me three sittings due to the fact that disc three was out of stock over and over again. After I finished I went online and bought the set. The cinematography of Saving Private Ryan but with an (more or less) accurate story line of the real events of Easy company of the 506/101 Abn. Good acting too. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The end almost wants to make one cry. If i were Liebgott and had to tell all those Jews they cannot be fed, I would cry too. It's an emotional movie/miniseries.
View Quote
Episode 9 made me want to go out and find myself a neo-nazi to beat the shit out of.
I'd say episode 9 was the most emotional of the 10 episodes. Not saying that there weren't some pretty shitty things happening in the other nine episodes...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The end almost wants to make one cry. If i were Liebgott and had to tell all those Jews they cannot be fed, I would cry too. It's an emotional movie/miniseries.
View Quote
Episode 9 made me want to go out and find myself a neo-nazi to beat the shit out of.
I'd say episode 9 was the most emotional of the 10 episodes. Not saying that there weren't some pretty shitty things happening in the other nine episodes...
View Quote

yeah no kidding. But the part that sticks out in my mind is when Eugene (the medic) goes to see the french nurse chick, but the city had been destroyed. Then he finds her hair ribbon thing, looks at it for a second, then makes a bandage out of it.

And you're missing the taking of Carantan, one of the best battles in the whole movie by missing number 3.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
yeah no kidding. But the part that sticks out in my mind is when Eugene (the medic) goes to see the french nurse chick, but the city had been destroyed. Then he finds her hair ribbon thing, looks at it for a second, then makes a bandage out of it.
View Quote
Powerful scene, yes, but I kinda saw it coming. Not saying that any MOS was easy, but being a medic and trying to patch up your buddies (with varying success) has got to suck the big one.

And you're missing the taking of Carantan, one of the best battles in the whole movie by missing number 3.
View Quote
I did catch number three, only it was the last of the discs I got to see. Sobel reminded me of two of my fellow sergeants when I was in the service; they could never say anything positive about anything. They wanted fear over respect. Morons.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]
As I watch "Band Of Brothers" I don't find myself thinking that these are really actors and NOT soldiers.  They all say and do everything as soldiers would do, which makes this series what I consider to be the best wartime depiction yet, and a must see for any military leader.

The documentary on the special features disc is outstanding, and something you should watch with your kids.

My recommendation is to buy "Band Of Brothers".

Chris
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I did catch number three, only it was the last of the discs I got to see. Sobel reminded me of two of my fellow sergeants when I was in the service; they could never say anything positive about anything. They wanted fear over respect. Morons.
View Quote

i was talking to the fellow that missed number 3 on account they were alwasy out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
i was talking to the fellow that missed number 3 on account they were alwasy out.
View Quote
That was me. It took me three sittings because #3 was out every time I went to the video store (same story in three different video stores the same day!)
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I got the set for Christmas; a fine present. Now if everyone would just leave me alone long enough to watch it that would be another good present.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]
well sooooorrrry!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I rented DVDs 1-4 and thought they were pretty good.  Not worth buying though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I went to 4 different places(Fry's, Sam Goody's, Suncoast Vidoes, Wal-Mart) to look for the DVD set, and everyone was sold out. I rented episodes 9&10 because that was all that was left on the rental shelf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top