Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 11:36:29 PM EDT
Wow.

No, wait.

[size=6]WOW![/size=6]

You will not be dissapointed. These three movies are the going to be the standard by which all fantasy/sci-fi cinema will be judged by for the next decade. Kind like what's that old series? Oh, yeah, Star Wars.

Quick bleary-eyed notes. More later.

Gollum is very convincing. If you're not actively looking for minute flaws, you'll think he's real.

The Massive engine makes the battle scenes look like there really are over 10 thousand warriors fighting, not 20 guys and a bunch of CGI puppets. UN-FUCKING-REAL.

Ents are better than I had hoped for. You can sure tell the voice of Treebeard is John Ryhs-Davies, tho.

Everything had to be shortened somewhat. it's cinema, not an 8 hour book perusal in your study, so that's inevitable.

EVERYONE clapped at the end. You should too. Later today. When you GO SEE IT.

Edited to remove spoiler.

J.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Shhhh, I'm seeing it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't wait, definitely seeing it later today or at the latest Thursday.  Booyaa, heard it freakin sweet from everyone who has seen it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
SO...........I take it you liked it?
[:D]

I'll be going to see it this w/end, hopefully.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
hmmm - I haven't seen any of them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hmmm - I haven't seen any of them.
View Quote

They're worth it. Good flicks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the midnight show last year, but was painfully tired at work 3 hours later.
So this time I'm exersizing a little restraint. I'm seeing it tonight after work. Buying tickets online is SO COOL :-)
9.5 hours til showtime !!!!

CKMorley
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to buy the director's cut of "Fellowship of the Ring" tonight.

As a Christmas present for my wife, of course!

We're going to wait a week or so for "The Two Towers" as hard as that will be.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
3:36am? No wonder I'm sitting here alone right now.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard Gollum is totally convincing for a completely virutal character.

I can't wait!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The directors cut of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring was absolutely awesome.  The 45+ minutes of added scenes takes a 9/10 bookmovie to a solid 10/10 Epic.  The deleted scened add far more context, history and clarity to the events of the standard theater release.  My dad had a few complaints about the original, but all those complaints disappeared in the directors cut!

These movies WILL go down in history as being as popular as the "Ten Commandments", "Ben Hur", "The Great Escape", and the "Star Wars" trilogy.

I can't wait until 3:00pm tomorrow.  We are going to a "Two Towers" Matinee.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow.

No, wait.

[size=6]WOW![/size=6]
View Quote

I agree !

It was well worth losing sleep for........

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Co-worker of mine has raved about this...

Haven't seen them myself yet...

Editied cuz my spelling sux
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw it last night too...fecking ROCKED!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got back from a noon showing...what an INCREDIBLE visual feat!
The Battle For Helm's Deep, the Ents, Gollum, the freaking Black Gate of Mordor (and the chained trolls that open and close it), the wargs, the oliphants...
My God.
The only slightly negative part for me was the whole Aragorn-falls-off-the-cliff with all the flashbacks to Rivendell...I coulda done without that whole bit.
But all in all, just an incredible movie.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going tonight.. Heard really good stuff about it, except for the changes they did to a certain character starting with F. It sounds like they seriously f'ed up his part. He was one of my favorite characters too... :(
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh God!  Not Faramir!  Say it isn't so!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw it last night at 9:00. Its good having a friend who is manager at a movie theatre.

An excellent film, but i agree that the whole Aragorn falling off the cliff was unecessary. But it did show the other characters concern for him. Especially Eowyn.

In the film they made it look like Arwen was heading to Valinor. I dont remember that in the book as she marries Aragorn in Return of the King. What gives?

I also remember Eomer being with Aragorn inside Helms deep. Maybe my memory is fuzzy.

I suppose they saved Shelob for the third film as the third book is short.-mostly Appendicies. I was hopeing to see the Spider bitch at the end, but oh well. I understand that.

The Ents also came to a decicion before they saw the desolation of Isenguard to go to war in the book.

They flying Nasgull fucking rocked!!! I loved the look of the Wyverns they rode. The addition of the Wyverns and the Worg battle before Helms Deep were good extras not described in the book.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't mind the change to Faramir so much...it seemed way too easy for him to turn down the ring in the book.  Made the whole "irresistible pull of the ring" thing seem a bit lame.  The movie REALLY shows how powerful the ring is AND makes Faramir even more heroic for letting Frodo go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the film they made it look like Arwen was heading to Valinor. I dont remember that in the book as she marries Aragorn in Return of the King. What gives?
View Quote

It's probably to set up suspense so that when she shows up in ROTK it will be a surprise for those unfamiliar with the books.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Going to see it tonight, bought tickets online about a week ago and I am ready to go.
Many years ago I was a real JRR Tolkien freak, read every book he and his son put out. I was impressed with last years release. I hope this one is as good.
Only down side to Lord of the Rings was deleted Tom Bombadil and removing Glorfindel to give his part to Arwen. Still a great movie though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I am so jonesing to go see it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Hated the first movie, not excited about seeing the second one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Gonna see it Chrismas Eve. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#26]
going to take my 13 year old to the IMAX to see it when I get back from a business trip, I cannot wait.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw it this afternoon. It lives up to the hype.

I want to see it again, when there aren't a couple morons sitting behind me. I knew it was going to be bad when they read aloud the title credits: "The Two Towers". It was a running commentary on the bleeding obvious, and only died down a little after I told 'em to shut up.

This is a movie made for DVD on a widescreen HDTV, far, far away from the crowds that are seeing it now.  I look forward to a ten-hour marathon session when the final DVD comes out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, saw it tonight, loved it.  Better than the first since I like action, and this has a friggin' huge epic battle.  Rock on.

Can't wait for the extended DVD release that I'm assuming/hoping they make.  The extended first one was excellent, really made it better...  I want to sit down and watch all the extended versions on DVD back-to-back for a nearly 12 hour LOTR fest...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top