Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 12:37:41 PM EDT
I have a 96 Geo Metro with a manual transmission, it has about 92,000 miles on it.  I’ve had it since it had about 45k miles and haven’t had to do anything to it yet…until now.  Like I said, it’s a 5 speed, and about a week and a half ago it wouldn’t let me downshift into 1st gear unless the vehicle was completely stopped.  

I tried double clutching, and bringing up the revs (w/ clutch in) but nothing helped.  When I tried to get it into gear it didn’t grind or anything like that, it just wouldn’t go in.  Now it has gotten worse, and I cannot downshift into 2nd gear unless I am stopped, which makes turning corners tough to do since I have to either stop or try and lug it through in 3rd gear.  I have no problems when I upshift, or when I’m stopped, it’s only when I downshift.

I have not noticed the clutch slipping (although it might be tough to notice since the engine only has 55hp!), so what do you think is the problem?  I think I’m losing the synchros, but I’m definitely not an expert on tranny’s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but I'd say you diagnosed it properly.

BTW, logically, clutch slippage gets worse the higher the gear due to the ratios getting steeper.  Since you are fine in all other gears, I'd say the clutch is fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you changed the fluid in it? If you are handy with that kind of thing, it shouldnt be too hard, but I dont know anything about GEOs. First thing I would do is get a good FULL SYNTHETIC fluid (I would recommend Redline or Amsoil) and change it. Also, you might check the clutch pedal adjustment and make sure the pedal is adjusted correctly. If this is off, that can cause hard downshifting as well as the syncro issue, but the fluid will help out if it is a syncro problem. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Synchros!

And..., is a Geo Metro really so gutless that you have to drop it into 1st while negotiating a corner?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Start car in neutral put the car in 3rd gear then try to take off. Give it more than normal gas but not too much, you will have to feather the clutch. If you can take off like this you need a clutch and if the clutch is close this may kill it so don't try it in BFE. The clutch has to slip if you can get the car moving doing this. 55mph and then gun the engine, Listen for the rpm to go up or look at the tach if you have one. It most likley is not the syncros unless you have trashed it. It could be a pilot shaft bearing locking on the input shaft also. This would mean a clutch job and a pilot shaft replacement if you have one. Toyota's have them and I think your car is really a toyota

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Synchros!

And..., is a Geo Metro really so gutless that you have to drop it into 1st while negotiating a corner?
View Quote

Damn near!  Turning on regular sidestreets you are fine in 2nd, but 1st is a must on rolling stops, etc...

u-baddog - The car is actually built by Suzuki but I don't know if it has a pilot shaft bearing or not.  I haven't beat it, and have tried the method you mentioned to check the clutch and don't think the clutch is bad.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be surprised if you didn't have a pilot bearing. Its just a brass cup pressed into the back side of the engine, for the tranny's input shaft to ride in. They do wear out.

In any case, I think you will be dropping the tranny. It would be foolish not to do a clutch job w/ a new pilot bearing while you are there. It will save dropping the tranny again later, when the clutch does start slipping.

Are you going to rebuild the tranny yourself, pay someone else to do it, or see what it would cost to get a used, warrantied one out of a junkyard?

Or quickly trade in the car on a new one?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
i know what the problem is.
its a Geo Metro.  92,000 miles??  consider yourself lucky.  time for a new car.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I will take it in and pay someone to fix it.  I try to do most repairs myself but I don't have the time or knowledge to screw with a tranny right now.

I would love to get rid of it, but I drive 20-22k miles a year.  I would buy a real car, but with the mileage I put on it it wouldn't be worth anything after a couple years anyway.  Besides I don't have a car payment now, and gas is cheap so I'm just going to buy a motorcycle for fun in the spring...! [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top