Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 5:40:26 PM EDT
I recently came upon a movie on netflix called April Morning.  It was made in 1988.  For info follow the IMDB link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094673/fullcredits
It is based on a book by Howard Fast.  It was published in 1961

http://www.amazon.com/April-Morning-Howard-Fast/dp/0553273221
Has any one seen this movie or read the book.  I cannot believe I have never even hear of it before.  The movie is small budget but well done.  It tells the story of a teenage boy who joins his father on Lexington Green as the British are working their way towards it and what happens that day after the shot heard around the world.  I do not believe it would ever be made today.  To much talk about manliness, guns and standing up for your rights... oh and killing those who want to take them away.  Hollywood would be aghast today to produce such a movie.

I just got the book and will begin reading it.  

Any thoughts, comments or discussions would be appreciated. (I know, this is GD and I have set my expectations to high.)

It is a timely movie to watch considering the times we live in.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw that when I was a kid - I'm pretty sure it was a made for tv movie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Read The Hessian as well if you get the chance. Takes place toward the  end of the war. Not sure if they made a movie from it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
"Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer is another book about this day.....EXCELLENT

one sad thing is you realize that the English were probably more lenient with the colonists that our government is with citizens today
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently came upon a movie on netflix called April Morning.  It was made in 1988.  For info follow the IMDB link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094673/fullcredits

It is based on a book by Howard Fast.  It was published in 1961

http://www.amazon.com/April-Morning-Howard-Fast/dp/0553273221

Has any one seen this movie or read the book.  I cannot believe I have never even hear of it before.  The movie is small budget but well done.  It tells the story of a teenage boy who joins his father on Lexington Green as the British are working their way towards it and what happens that day after the shot heard around the world.  I do not believe it would ever be made today.  To much talk about manliness, guns and standing up for your rights... oh and killing those who want to take them away.  Hollywood would be aghast today to produce such a movie.

I just got the book and will begin reading it.  

Any thoughts, comments or discussions would be appreciated. (I know, this is GD and I have set my expectations to high.)

It is a timely movie to watch considering the times we live in.

View Quote

I like Fast's writing, he wrote Spartacus too. Very interesting connection to the Hollywood Blacklist. Interesting guy, I strongly suspect that he would aghast at what is going on in country today.......
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Read The Hessian as well if you get the chance. Takes place toward the  end of the war. Not sure if they made a movie from it.
View Quote
Excellent book. Well worth reading.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input.  I will have to add those to my reading list.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked that movie a lot.

Well done for a TV movie

Really liked the "Hit and Run" part.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, "The Crossing" is excellent.

Jeff Daniels as Washington crossing the Delaware.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top