Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:08:36 AM EDT
Just curious to hear what gun people have bought or just shot that they had low expectations for and now can't live without. Can't be an AR or AK.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#1]
glock
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
556R.

Favorite rifle in my safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi point 9mm carbine.

Not that I can;t live without it, because I sold it years ago. But it was very accurate, and very reliable with the factory magazines.

It was too big, and the magazine capacity sucked, so I sold it, and have my KT Sub2K and my 9mm AR instead. But the high point was very capable, and I don;t look down much on people that have them at the range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
For me, the Glock. Still not a fan-boy, but at least I can say I like the one I have. Still prefer 1911.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
CX4 Storm, thought they were ugly and pointless....Now I love the damn thing.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
FN .45 tactical.

Its not that I had low expectations, but was surprised how small it was.

In photos, it just looked big to me and I thought the grip would be very wide.

Ergos were actually very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
PS-90
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The one the overly excited cop pulled on me.  That one surprised me big time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I was surprised at the accuracy of my M9. I still don't shoot it much due to the size of the grip, but I like the trigger more than I thought I would.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#11]
FEG Highpower clone.
I think I paid $200 for it, NIB. I expected garbage. It's a totally reliable & accurate gun. Probably have 4.5k rounds through it, no complaints, except I wore the bluing off of the backstrap. (They're traditionally blued)
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Star Firestar in 45ACP.

Was a good little gun!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
M1A SOCOM II - got it as part of a trade thinking I'd trade it again - love the damn thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]

While the carbines might have a (deserved) reputation for being unpleasant to fire, the rifle is a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
glock
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Llama 1911 in .38 Super.

Had it for close to 20 years and nothing still comes close to the accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
glock
View Quote

Its Plastic...

Crap it works
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Kel-Tec Sub2000.  I don't remember what drove me to buy it in the first place, but it's one of the most fun guns I have.  The only problem I've had with it in the last 10+ years is prying out of the hands of someone else who has just fallen in love with it.  Love the CX4 too.  I intend to shoot it at the next Texas Tactical match I'm able to attend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Star Firestar in 45ACP.

Was a good little gun!
View Quote

I'll second that. I buy them when I see them. I always end up giving them away to new shooter friends though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#20]
The CZ-75.

Accuracy shocked me 1st time I borrowed a friend's gun.  Much better than the Glocks I was used to (and the Glock is quite accurate; more than enough for GSSF).

Next was a old semi auto from Sweden - the AG-42 Ljungman in 6.5 swede.  

2nd time I fired it, I used surplus Swede ammo with a little tarnish on the cases; I did not expect much.  Dialed the sights to 400 meters & lined up at a steel plate while prone (no sling).  My spotted kept yelling "hit, hit, hit" - all 10 rounds were on steel (and I'm not that great of a shot).
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hi point 9mm carbine.

Not that I can;t live without it, because I sold it years ago. But it was very accurate, and very reliable with the factory magazines.

It was too big, and the magazine capacity sucked, so I sold it, and have my KT Sub2K and my 9mm AR instead. But the high point was very capable, and I don;t look down much on people that have them at the range.
View Quote

Worked at a gun shop years ago that sold those carbines, but the manager absolutley refused to sell the Hi Point pistols.  

He clued me into what you observed about the Hi Point carbine though: it was reliable, accurate, and of course, cheap.  

In contrast, my Colt 9mm carbine is quite finicky about loads and magazines.  Sometimes it works well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Swiss K31 in 7.5x55 Swiss. A friend gave me a matching number K31 just after Thanksgiving. He bought it for $50 a few years ago. Never shot it because he could never find ammo for it. I found ammo at a funshow. We (me, him and another friend) were very impressed when we shot it. Balanced well, smooth straight pull bolt action, recoil not bad for a .30ish caliber full power rifle. Had I known how smooth these rifles were, I would've bought one years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#23]
My PF-9.  I assumed it would be shit.  Can't get the thing to malfunction.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#24]
M9

I always heard complaints from colleagues in the Army, but I like them quite a bit.

They are among my favorite semiauto pistols.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Sig 226.

I shot a friend a few years ago.  When I picked it up I didn't like the feel of the grip or the way it sat in my hand.
I then proceeded to shoot some of the best groups I've ever made with a handgun.

Never did buy one though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sig 226.

I shot a friend a few years ago.  When I picked it up I didn't like the feel of the grip or the way it sat in my hand.
I then proceeded to shoot some of the best groups I've ever made with a handgun.

View Quote

I bet your friend was surprised!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
glock

Came here to post this.

Me too.  Prepared to hate the plastic wundernine, (Gen 1 G17) but damn if I did not walk out impressed as hell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Beretta 92/96 M9 series pistols.
After reading the bad reviews had a chance to shoot one. Liked it, could'nt figure out why it had some bad reviews. Fuck the haters, bought 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FEG Highpower clone.
I think I paid $200 for it, NIB. I expected garbage. It's a totally reliable & accurate gun. Probably have 4.5k rounds through it, no complaints, except I wore the bluing off of the backstrap. (They're traditionally blued)
View Quote

Same, I got an FN marked FEG recently for $225 and it has been very impressive. Only a couple hundred rounds through it so far as its just a range toy but I have been enjoying it a lot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]
my M-14 I was issued in Afghanistan, when I got it, I really didnt think it was going to be all that accurate.  but it always put the rounds where I wanted them
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Older highpoint carbine. Accurate. Reliable. Inexpensive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's an epiphany, isn't it?

Indeed, the CZ 75 surprised me as it made me look like I knew what I was doing behind a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The CZ-75.

Accuracy shocked me 1st time I borrowed a friend's gun.  Much better than the Glocks I was used to (and the Glock is quite accurate; more than enough for GSSF).

It's an epiphany, isn't it?

Indeed, the CZ 75 surprised me as it made me look like I knew what I was doing behind a pistol.

I bought the 75B & TS. I was not suprised because I expected them to perform great. They did
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Springfield Armory XD series.

A dyed-in-the wool SIG-Sauer guy, I looked down my nose at any "damned plastic pistol"...then I shot a friend's XD45.

Now I have 3 XD's...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#35]
FPNI. Glock.

I was born and raised on .45 cal pistols, 12 ga shotguns, and .30 cal rifles. Got my first 1911 when i was 15 and didn't even really talk to the polymer pistol guys at the IDPA matches. Not that I thought less of them for it, I just didn't think anything of them. Then I moved to VA and got my CHP (ccw) and wanted something with serious capacity. Shot a G19 and I couldn't miss to save my life.

Glocks don't excite me like a SAA or 1911, but it is a Glock 19 on my hip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#36]
HK P7

Always wanted one, finally got one this summer. I couldnt believe how damn accurate it is. I shot a rabbit at 50 yards offhand on the first try.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sig 226.

View Quote

poor friend.    

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Years ago: 9mm Baby Eagle / IMI Jericho compact steel frame. It's a CZ75 derivative so in effect another indirect vote for the CZ75. I found it to be very accurate and stable, but very very heavy for what it was. A lot of my friends shot it and every single one of us could shoot very well it it... but we all agreed it was too heavy to carry as a CCW.

Currently: 9mm Lionheart LH9C Novak. I picked it up at a local show recently just on a lark to have something different. It's an interesting little pistol. Nothing groundbreaking but very handy, accurate 9mm compact. I'm actually kind of surprised how well I can shoot with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Glock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
G27

For a baby Glock, I can shoot it just as accurately (if not better) than my full sized G22.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Honestly?  The Garand.

It's big, it's clunky, it only holds eight rounds, it's heavy, it's nearly impossible to mount a scope on.

Didn't really want one, but I shot in a competition that qualified me to get one from the CMP.  I had some overtime pay, and they aren't making any more of 'em, so I bought one and an ammo can full of milsurp on enbloc clips.

Took it to the range.  BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG*PING!*

HUGE smile on my face.

Loved that damned thing ever since!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Walter PPS. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

The Shield is nice, but the PPS has better F&F IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#44]
My AR15. First time I shot it @ 400 yards I thought, "Yeah, right, I can barely see the damn thing." I managed to get everything on paper and grouped them surprisingly (for me) well. Prior to that I'd only shot @ 100 yards (mostly) and 200 yards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll second that. I buy them when I see them. I always end up giving them away to new shooter friends though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Star Firestar in 45ACP.

Was a good little gun!

I'll third that.. Star guns are great guns.. Too bad the company is no longer in business..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Springfield Armory XD series.

A dyed-in-the wool SIG-Sauer guy, I looked down my nose at any "damned plastic pistol"...then I shot a friend's XD45.

Now I have 3 XD's...
View Quote

I put a magazine through one at the range one time, and I have the same attitude towards plastic guns.  It surprised me, it's a nice gun.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hi point 9mm carbine.

View Quote

I don't own one, but I had to put some of them back together at the range where I used to work. Once in a while, we would get the free bag o' gun bits after the typical High Point owner could not reassemble it and gave up. Those rifles were surprisingly accurate. Once they were cleaned and properly lubed and assembled, they were pretty reliable, too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Colt RailGun, as a 1911 snub , I was surprised as hell.
Excellent 1911.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Finn Mosin- I knew that they were known for being accurate, but I never imagined that I could shoot small groups at 100 yards with a rifle built in 1942 from a receiver made in 1896 shooting surplus ammo from 1954 with iron sights!

Keltec P11- I have unsuccessfully tried to replace it as my carry piece for over 10 years now.  For firepower vs. size, nothing comes close.  I keep trying to replace it because "it's a Keltec", but it has never failed me.  Sure it has a crappy trigger, but that can also be a benefit with a carry pistol.  You certainly aren't going to accidentally pull that trigger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Tauras PT99 killer accurate right from the box, not sure i was expecting that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top