Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 11:00:13 PM EDT
Movie: Assembly (Made in China 2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIiBy_Z2Ag

I'm only 15 mins into the movie and wondering, "Did the Chinese really have such a varied array of weapons?"  Or, "Maybe it's just bad film making?"

Enjoy your Monday morning viewing.

Aloha, Mark

PS....a movie review for you....

Assembly is a gripping film about the Chinese civil war and its aftermath, recounted through the story of a doomed company of Communist soldiers and the subsequent struggle of their commander, Gu Zidi, to win recognition for their sacrifice. Hanyu Zhang is superb in the role of Gu Zidi, carrying the memory of his lost and forgotten comrades, and is the focus for a film that is by turns brutal, moving and provocative.

The opening battle scene is Assembly is startlingly violent and throughout the film the portrayal of modern weaponry and its effect upon human bodies is truly frightening. The battles are impressively staged and meticulously detailed, from the soldiers' uniforms to the networks of defensive trenches. There are some eye-opening details about the nature of warfare in the Chinese civil war, including the deployment of 'political officers' to encourage Communist troops to act in line with Party doctrine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
history.....a funny thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Fuck Communist China

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It's fucking irritating watching all these foreign war films copying SPR's style of cinematography.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm only 15 mins into the movie and wondering, "Did the Chinese really have such a varied array of weapons?"  Or, "Maybe it's just bad film making?"
View Quote

I'd say that's pretty accurate.  The Nationalist Chinese had weapons from the Germans and Czechs they bought before WWII, weapons provided by the US and England during and after WWII, and weapons that they took from the Japanese.  The Communists had weapons from the Russians, and also what they could capture from the Nationalists.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd say that's pretty accurate.  The Nationalist Chinese had weapons from the Germans and Czechs they bought before WWII, weapons provided by the US and England during and after WWII, and weapons that they took from the Japanese.  The Communists had weapons from the Russians, and also what they could capture from the Nationalists.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, plus their own domestically produced knockoffs...pretty much anything in the region could be found there by that time, either in use against or by the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Russians, Americans, Germans...everyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if US Civil War era cap & ball revolvers were used there...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This, plus their own domestically produced knockoffs...pretty much anything in the region could be found there by that time, either in use against or by the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Russians, Americans, Germans...everyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if US Civil War era cap & ball revolvers were used there...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chairman Mao even credited the West for arming his troops indirectly with all the weapons that the Reds seized from Nationalist deserters and prisoners.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and what was supplied to them by the US and UK towards the end of WWII when the Allies got fed up trying to work with Kai-shek, and what they stole from US troops at gunpoint towards the end of the war, and what they had captured from the Japanese.

WWII Allied and proto-NATO policy in China was messed up beyond all belief.  Stillwell was a skilled ground leader but totally clueless about air power and politically toxic.  Chennault was a strategic genius who understood what air power was capable of and got on famously with the Kai-sheks, but was too ready to fight "the system" (same problem Billy Mitchell had).  Kai-shek was an overblown tin-pot dictator who was too concerned with covering his own ass in an unstable political climate and it ultimately cost him his entire nation and gave us modern Communist China.  Churchill didn't even pay attention to the China / Burma / India theater.  Roosevelt was simply unwilling to deal with the situation on the ground in China as it existed, instead of how he really wished it was, to the point that we wasted years, thousands of lives, and millions of tons of supplies in China and Burma when we ultimately drove straight to the Japanese home islands via the Pacific.

The only smart, shrewd, and effective leader in that entire mess was Mao.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Johnson rifle goodness.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Another member of this site recommended the movie (ironically, on top of a ridge...in the middle of nowhere while we were scouting deer).  It is very good and worth a watch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I just watched the opening fight.  Every one of these dudes is a rock steady sniper despite being ambushed from four sides and above by heavy weapons, beltfeds, and about a dozen command detonated mines.  Except initially for the CO, who then weeps and turns into an Asian Audie Murphy when the beloved political officer who was just on the verge of shooting him for cowardice gets shredded.

Feel the realism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's fucking irritating watching all these foreign war films copying SPR's style of cinematography.
View Quote

Do you get mad at English speaking films for the same thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top