Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2002 11:49:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a chance.  They are not encrypted,  ridiculously short range and a good number of the "channels" are full already.

edited for spellin errors
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
They could use any two-way radio band, not just CB. Don't need encryption when they speak a language most of us don't know. Hell-- it would probably sound to us like they were between channels since we wouldn't understand them! Also, they could modify ham radios, CB, FRS, etc, to be slightly off, or in another area, that normally isn't monitored...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a chance.  They are not encrypted,  ridiculously short range and a good number of the "channels" are full already.

edited for spellin errors
View Quote

Exactly. Short range so only people inthe immediate area would hear. Not sure what you mean by channels being full, only ones that ever see any traffic here are 19, truckers, and 20. 1-18 and 21-40 are usually always quiet. Hunters will use 7 or 8 but again, youd have to be near the woods when/where they are hunting.

You sure your not thinking about the little Motorola family channel radios? I am talking about Citizens Band radios.
View Quote

Nope, I run with a CB on my way to Tech in Atlanta.  The bands are full.  If its not the truckers, its the Spanish-speaking folk.  I also operate HAM, when I have a radio.  You start using the HAM bands and we will use radio direction finding.  It would be very odd to hear Arabic on 2m without the proper following of the rules (ID breaks after 10 min etc).  Don't you think we have guys monitoring the waves who speak Arabic and other mid-east languages.  Even if we cant monitor all bands 24/7 we have still scared the terrorists into resorting to couriers.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont want to get into a pissing contest over comms expertise.

Its a thought and most definitely not outside the realm of possibility.  I just dont think they would use communications at all.  When you put something over the air, you never know who is listening.  As far as CB usage, it depends on the area.  Atlanta is very active on all bands.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But you cant monitor cb's like hams because of the short distance. There would have to be a monitor about every 5 square miles for all 40 channels to monitor cbs. Channels here are dead and open all the time as I said. I have a commo background in the Army so I am a little familiar with communications and such.

Here is why I originally asked. I have mine on in my truck at all times. For the past two mornings in a row on my way to work, in the exact same spot going over a bridge near downtown, I have heard very distinctive arabic being spoken. We are used to the occasional spanish and whatnot, but this just really stood out to me. Even a couple of truckers noticed, but they couldnt hear things quite as clearly as I could. This bridge gives me excellent reception from downtown due to the increased height and the fact that I have a great receiving radio and 12ft whip antennae. It just really struck me as odd. CB's are pretty cheap to buy. The relativel short range would mean that only those within a few miles would be able to hear, especially in a city environment with all the extra interference. Just curious. I know its probably nothing, but it made my ears tune in a little harder than usual.
View Quote

Why not track down the signal origin yourself? (if you have time). We used to play hide & seek with CB radios, and people never figured out how we found them so quickly...

Also, terrorists may not use radios since it might trigger their detonators...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Why? Cell phones work much better
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah-- and you can call anyone in the world...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont want to get into a pissing contest over comms expertise.

Its a thought and most definitely not outside the realm of possibility.  I just dont think they would use communications at all.  When you put something over the air, you never know who is listening.  As far as CB usage, it depends on the area.  Atlanta is very active on all bands.  
View Quote

The Washington DC area "sniper" suspects were found with 2 way radios in their vehicle. It is certainly within the realm of possibility for terrorist types to use a radio form of comms.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Lets see what super watt RagBag can get over a tuned Texas Star dx 667 and Galaxy DX88 with my trailer trash ass guttaral yelling Die Muthafucker Warriors Come Out to Playeeeeaaa. Ya' the Cell deal would be way better harder to trace in the midst' of mayhem
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top