Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 8:52:49 PM EDT
I was reading something today (I think..long day) and now I can't find it.. (if it WAS today, I'm inclined to think it was a shooting magazine of some sorts.)  

Story about an Indian (native american)chief telling his warriors that the white men they were about to attack would not see them because he cast a spell on them.

The next thing they knew is that one of the Indians was shot by one of those white men from 9xx yards.  The rest of the Indians turn and dissapeared!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about Billy Dixon at Adobe Wells?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it, thanks to [b][i]twostage[/b][/i].  It was in the  [url=http://www.cimarron-firearms.com]Cimaroon Firearms[/url] Ad in SGN.

It was June 27, 1874 at Adobe Walls on the Canadian River in the Texas panhandle. Young Billy Dixon and 27 buffalo hunters were surrounded by more than 500 Kiowa and Comanche warriors. The Kiowa medicine man told the warriors that his medicine made them invisible to the bullets of the white-eyes. When Dixon fired his Sharps sporting rifle and knocked a Kiowa from his horse at [red]1538 yards (7/8 mile)[/red] the Indians departed with haste. The Kiowa medicine man was quirted to death. The shot was later measured by a Government surveyor working in the area. Billy Dixon lived on to be awarded the Medal of Honor while acting as a scout in the Army for Gen. Nelson Miles. Later in life he served as a peace officer in the Texas panhandle, near the place that made him famous.
View Quote

[url=http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/billy_dixon.htm]source[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top