Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 10:40:21 AM EDT
I am going to catch all kinds of flak, but WTF; here goes: When Texas joined the union it was agreed that it could divide into 5 states. What if some group obtained enough of Texas to become a state, then seceded. Wrote its own laws to include non-infringement of gun ownership.
"We only got two political parties here; Libertarians and Republicans. We try to keep the Republicans under control."
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in favor of Central and Southern Illinois seceding from Cook and Collar counties.  No war has ever been fought over counties seceding from a state.

Never even seen it tried.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.freestateproject.org[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]www.freestateproject.org[/url]
View Quote

yep, but texas isn't even on the radar..
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could succeed my house from Iowa, then I could fill it with whatever kind of weapons I want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard that Texas was the only state that could seced from the union. Something about a clause in the contract. But I don't know how true that is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about Texas BUT...

The US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3 [1] New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other STATE; nor any State be formed by the junction of two or more States or parts of States, without the consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as the Congress.

So it seems possible.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure about Texas BUT...

The US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3 [1] New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other STATE; nor any State be formed by the junction of two or more States or parts of States, without the consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as the Congress.

So it seems possible.
View Quote

Not always true. You ever heard of West Virginia? The western 55 counties of Virginia seceeded form Virginia and were admitted as the 35th state without the approval of the Virginia legislature. This was during the civil war, and many things were corrupted in that period of upheaval.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top