Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 7:17:37 AM EDT
I go to the shooting range yesterday.  Beautiful day - temp in the high 40s, clear blue sky with a few bright white clouds.  One of those crisp late Fall days that only come very rarely.  I head home after shooting for a coupld of hours (enjoying my newly acquired 1942 Garand). It's already a great day - and then as I'm driving home I see a huge bald eagle circling over the woods right above me.  WOW.

I still think the giant horned owl that lives behind my house could kick a bald eagle's ass [:D], but DAMN that bald eagle is a beautiful bird.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, aren't they gorgeous birds?   It's great to actually SEE them again, after all those years when they were endangered due to pesticides killing so many of them off.

Here in Florida, you can find them in just about any wooded area that's near a lake or river.

I have never seen a Great Horned Owl in Florida, but I do think it'd be fantastic to have one hanging around your house that was tame and would allow itself to be petted, fed by hand, and perch on your arm.  Freak out the local cats!

CJ
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
DK, sweet... I shot my recently aquired Dane M1 in a match yesterday.  Nothing like shooting an M1!  :)
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

[:D], but DAMN that bald eagle is a beautiful bird.

View Quote

Not only that, but they taste great too! [;)]

During the winter there are always a lot of bald eagles on the Red River near lake Texoma which is about 20 minutes from my house. Me and a friend go fishing on the river a lot so we can fish and watch the eagles fly overhead at the same time. Those things are incredible!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[:D], but DAMN that bald eagle is a beautiful bird.

View Quote

Not only that, but they taste great too! [;)]

View Quote

Owls taste better because their diet has almost no fish in it.  [;)]
View Quote

Neither one can beat a nice young mountain gorilla, sauteed with onion and bell pepper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]

I was snowmobiling up in the Black Hills SD a few years ago. End of the day heading back on the trail along side a stream. I dropped something on the trail so had to go back to get it while my wife and brother-in-law continued on around the bend. Cold, tired, grey skys, white snow everywhere - I stopped in the snow along the creek just to soak up the scene. I shut off the snowmobile and just listened. It was perfect and peaceful. Then I saw a bald eagle take of from the top of a tree and it soared right over me. Magnificent sight. I remember almost nothing from that day's ride - but I'll never forget seeing my first bald eagle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top