Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2013 6:47:29 AM EDT
Going to switch from CFL to LED... What color temperature do you use? I like the 3K... Not to yellow, not to "operating room" cold 6K...
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]

If your home is stark white and steel, you can get away with a higher color temp. Mine is all hardwood and warm colors, so it'd look horrific. 2700 is a warm, golden hue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with 5k in the kitchen - it's white, but I like it.  1400 lumens per bulb with 7 bulbs - that was expensive@$40/bulb.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't go beyond 3K as i like the warm and inviting color.  It's not as bright per say, but you'll like it more.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your home is stark white and steel, you can get away with a higher color temp. Mine is all hardwood and warm colors, so it'd look horrific. 2700 is a warm, golden hue.
View Quote

That is what I like. Keep it homey.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't listen to these guys

You want your house to look like Walmart, right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever temp the CREE soft white is.  They look great.  I just wish they were more like 100 watts instead of 60.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
3500-5500 is morning to high noon and back.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Home depot has these things on sale for about 7 bucks each. I think i'm gonna jump on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whatever temp the CREE soft white is.  They look great.  I just wish they were more like 100 watts instead of 60.
View Quote

They're adding more to the line as well. They just did R30 floods, and I've seen drawings for a candelabra I hope they get out the door soon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Home depot has these things on sale for about 7 bucks each. I think i'm gonna jump on it.
View Quote

I bought one of the CREEs at Home Depot, it's great.  Also got a Utilitech LED bulb from Lowes that was priced the same.. works great too.

I'm sold on LED bulbs.  They are all I will buy anymore.  Only exception is for a light figure that needs candelabra bulbs as there isn't a good option for them yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Love daylight bulbs personally. I use 5500K.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#13]
DId 3 K retrofit for the kitchen to ditch the floods.... Looks REALLY good....
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't listen to these guys

You want your house to look like Walmart, right?
View Quote

Ambiguous post is ambiguous.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been, slowly but surely, switching over to LED in my house (and outside!).

Color temp depends on where it is... On the porch, I have daylight and in the living room, a warmer colored bulb. Kitchen is a mix of both, warm for the overhead but cool white for the work surfaces.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bought one of the CREEs at Home Depot, it's great.  Also got a Utilitech LED bulb from Lowes that was priced the same.. works great too.

I'm sold on LED bulbs.  They are all I will buy anymore.  Only exception is for a light figure that needs candelabra bulbs as there isn't a good option for them yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes there is...

These work great: http://www.lowes.com/pd_199170-28839-LCA12C20027K3_0__?productId=4136004&Ntt=utilitech+candelabra&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dutilitech%2Bcandelabra&facetInfo=
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I have several dimmers in the house, so I still have incandescents in all those lights.  But they're also the ones I use most often, so I'd like to replace them with lower-wattage lights.
I bought a dimmable cree LED at HD to try one out.  Doesn't dim correctly at all.  It only works at full bright, and it flickers and buzzes at lower settings.   There is even a slight buzz at full-bright.  Below about 60%, it doesn't produce any light at all.  Not sure if the bulb sucks, or if it doesn't like my dimmer.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes there is...

These work great: http://www.lowes.com/pd_199170-28839-LCA12C20027K3_0__?productId=4136004&Ntt=utilitech+candelabra&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dutilitech%2Bcandelabra&facetInfo=

Thank you for posting this, I have those damn decorative lights everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag for ideas!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes there is...

Nice, I actually work at Lowes and never noticed those  I'll have to pick some up.  Last time I looked for them I couldn't find anything in a 20ish watt equivalent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I like warm white. It's about 3000K IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have several dimmers in the house, so I still have incandescents in all those lights.  But they're also the ones I use most often, so I'd like to replace them with lower-wattage lights.

I bought a dimmable cree LED at HD to try one out.  Doesn't dim correctly at all.  It only works at full bright, and it flickers and buzzes at lower settings.   There is even a slight buzz at full-bright.  Below about 60%, it doesn't produce any light at all.  Not sure if the bulb sucks, or if it doesn't like my dimmer.

View Quote

I think it doesn't like your dimmer...some dimmers are better than others..
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#23]
just bought 5 more---60 bucks later...

the Feit ones from menards---warm white are actually warm white...and seem about equiv in brightensss

have been replacing those shit fuck CFLs cause they fucking suck compared to led

I also have been keeping the boxes and rexeipts cause I am goign to hold them to their listed lifespan mothafuakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............

i have a shat ton of GU10's i want to replace in the kitchen, but those little dimmable fucks are still 20 a pop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes there is...

These work great for your bathroom fixtures....and they look like a normal bulb.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=199331-28839-LG25C24027K2&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4222305&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Went with 3K from Lowes...Expensive at 8.98 per bulb but looks nice and will pay off in the long haul. They also had a Dewalt impact driver on sale...Dammit....
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want to do this.  But every time I bring one home the wife rejects it.  She can see the color difference in the light and cannot stand the hue.  I have tried every temp there is.  2700k is best, but she still cant stand it and says light looks "purple".

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I want to do this.  But every time I bring one home the wife rejects it.  She can see the color difference in the light and cannot stand the hue.  I have tried every temp there is.  2700k is best, but she still cant stand it and says light looks "purple".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW... I cant watch movies w/ CGI... Looks terrible and terrifically fake no matter the resolution, and digital video gives me a horrible headache. Get her incandescent bulbs.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on the application for me. I use high temp in closets and kitchens.... closets mainly because I like to see accurate color.

I use high temp in my bedroom but rarely turn it on. I have a low temp lamp that I use primarily.. more homey.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Depends on the application for me. I use high temp in closets and kitchens.... closets mainly because I like to see accurate color.

I use high temp in my bedroom but rarely turn it on. I have a low temp lamp that I use primarily.. more homey.
View Quote

What temp do you use for accurate color?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know.

OK, I checked and mine are 3k. They're pretty white to me though. Certainly a lot whiter than incandescent bulbs.

these
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5000k. It's not perfect, but good enough for me.I'm no expert
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#32]
daylight balanced (5000k) will give you more accurate color, IMO
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got the Crees in table lamps- all on automatic (x10) dimmers. Those work perfectly. Got a couple Sylvania floods, which did not work well at all with the x10 system, but they work extremely well with a manual dimmer switch- from a barely discernible glow to full bright.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the "daylight" temps, 5K or so.  Everything looks better in daylight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

daylight balanced (5000k) will give you more accurate color, IMO
View Quote

That's what I bought for my test bulb.  They had a demo station in HD with each bulb color next to each other in little slots.  You could stick your hand in and look at the difference.  The daylight ones looked best to me. Was 5000K.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top